Archived on 6/5/2022

Old laptop or desktop disposal

anon10646030
27 Apr '17

Hi, I have about 3 old laptops at home I would like to dispose securely so no data can be reused/hacked etc. I keep putting it off and one off them is over 20 years old which might already qualify for the British museum but can anyone recommend a secure and geeen way to dispose them ?

Beige
27 Apr '17

You could take out the hard disk and drill a hole in it or smash it up with a hammer. Or you could run DBAN to securely wipe the drive and send them for recycling.

I realise these might not be practical options, but I don’t know where you could send them that I would trust with my data.

AndyS
27 Apr '17

You could try this solution. The whole video is worth watching - but FFwd to 7m10s for the bit relevant to this thread.

anon10646030
27 Apr '17

Lol now I am a bit scared to post a topic ‘gun wanted’ in the wanted section sure it won’t go down well with the moderators

AndyS
28 Apr '17

As long as you don’t put your ‘Gun wanted’ posting on this thread because @RachaelDunlop will have you for going off-topic! :joy:

starman
28 Apr '17

You can stop a pot from boiling over by placing a wooden spoon acros the top.

waits

RachaelDunlop
28 Apr '17

Satchers
29 Apr '17

I think if you take old computers to the eco computers place at Crofton Park Library or Sydenham library they will do the right sort of wiping and then make use of the hardware…

http://ecocom.org.uk

anon10646030
29 Apr '17

Thank you !!! I will try that and it sounds a good way to dispose them

system
28 Jun '17

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.