Archived on 6/5/2022

Olives & More

dannym
10 Dec '19

Anyone know what “Olives & More” is going to be and when it is opening on Perry Vale next to Piazza?

ForestHull
11 Dec '19

Looks like it may have been recently let out, £8k leasehold, class A1:

https://www.hnfproperty.com/property/13-perry-vale-london-se23-2ne/

starman
11 Dec '19

I’ve seen posts about this new business on Twitter. Opening soon.

westy1980
11 Dec '19

Could you share them? Any hints about what it’ll be? By the name, I’d guess a deli?

ForestHull
11 Dec '19

Google have a business listing for MardeOlivos at that address and this website: https://mardeolivos.co.uk/

ThorNogson
11 Dec '19

I posted a link to the Twitter info a short while ago but it is showing as ‘awaiting approval ‘ at the moment. @ForestHull would you be able to fix this?

ForestHull
11 Dec '19

Should be able to - I sent you a PM :slight_smile:

ThorNogson
11 Dec '19

according to a local tweet it will be a deli selling fine quality Spanish olives & olive oil. The owner has been trading at markets for a long time as Mar De Olivos. Hoping to open v soon.
there’s a Facebook page, looks like it will be a great addition to the locality and on the right side of the tracks too!

westy1980
11 Dec '19

Thanks! Looks like a good addition to the parade of shops.

dannym
11 Dec '19

great, can’t wait to visit

Billie
11 Dec '19

Sounds good and a great addition. I know it’s not this topic but is there any news of what might replace the fishmongers oppposite here? It must be two years since it folded.

Foresthillnick
11 Dec '19

I love a good olive oil but I am not sure they can have a viable business with Olives and Olive oil as the only products. Hopefully there will be some jamón and then I will keep them afloat on my own!

starman
12 Dec '19

Tasting on the 13th from 5-8

anon5422159
13 Dec '19

Cheers for sharing, @starman :+1:

Looks promising inside!

starman
13 Dec '19

I’d worry a bit if shopfront retail was their only sales. I gather though they also sell through markets and online so hopefully not fully reliant on footfall.

Anotherjohn
13 Dec '19

This is likely to be the case.

I used to rent 59 Dartmouth Road to ENZO, who ran a business of a mixture of his wife’s rustic Italian ceramic creations and his jarred porchini mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes.

Relying on local footfall wouldn’t have worked back in the mid-90s, so this was essentially just a base and he wholesaled to delicatessens all over London from there - together with a bit of market trading.

ThorNogson
13 Dec '19

Opening night this evening. Lovely people, more olive oil varieties than you can imagine, hand made chocolate made with olive oil, olives, olive oil pates, nuts, Andalusian honey and more. Open properly tomorrow.

DevonishForester
17 Jan '20

I happened to be passing today, so popped in. I like the offering - came away with a few things and will be going back.

Pea
17 Jan '20

Oh what did you get? Or is that a silly question and just olives and olive oil?

DevonishForester
18 Jan '20

Rice, lentils, honey, almonds and … oh yeah, a few olives.

Pea
18 Jan '20

Oh great. Will pop in next week!

starman
20 Jan '20

I finally popped in over the weekend. I was asked if it was my first visit and on affirmation was then shown the various stock items. I came for olives and left with a really delicious green olive with some citrus flavouring. And I was impressed to find the “plastic” tubs for the olives were in fact plant-based and could be recycled with the food composting at home.

But while I found something I really liked, I was a bit disappointed with the range of olives on offer… as in I thought there could have been more. Particularly plain olives without added flavourings or stuffing.

I’ll be back though.

HOPcrossbun
20 Jan '20

I really liked the store too - got some Spanish sea salt and some olive oil.

Also loved the Spanish music.

Nice addition to the area .

Rosered
20 Jan '20

Oh do they have salted almonds? Love those and would rather get them locally than go to brindisa in town!

Pea
20 Jun '20

Just visited the shop. What a lovely store. Picked up some super tasty fresh olives, olive oil, hazelnut spread, and sour dough. Will definitely go back again. I imagine the owner has been hard hit opening just before lockdown.

Pea
17 Jul '20

We were popping to @ClaptonCraft to stock up as we had friends coming over and I fancied some nibbles. Picked up some olive tapenade and little biscuits at Olives and More which our guest loved. Really handy to know they have this sort of stuff too.

jonfrewin
17 Jul '20

We got some great olives from there the other week, as well as some delicious olive oil and sea salt chocolate. A great addition to the neighbourhood.

HOPcrossbun
17 Jul '20

Yes - I got some very nice sea salt and olive oil there.

Hopefully people continue to support these little niche shops as it helps makes the area unique.

LAronberg
17 Jul '20

Definitely, love their selection of olives, a great addition.

Bella_Waugh
24 Jul '20

This is a lovely little store and the owner is also lovely. We enjoy purchasing specialty salad oils, nice olives, crisps, even gazpacho here :slight_smile:

Sam78
27 Jul '20

I LOVE it in there. I bought some fab olives the other week and need to go back in and treat myself to some of their cured meat and olive oil. I chatted to the owner for a bit too, very nice guy.

oakr
27 Jul '20

Do they have Serrano and \ or chorizo sometimes do you know?

Sam78
27 Jul '20

To be honest I’m not sure how often it is in - I saw cured meats but not what type :slight_smile:

Lhurl2020
27 Jul '20

Best thing that can happen to that little section of road is pedestrianisation. At the moment it feels unloved… some nice street tables and an area people want to hang about in would be great. It’s not as if that bit of road has many cars using it.

Thewrongtrousers
27 Jul '20

Tapenade, now you are talking. I am going right down there !

SpanishOlives
9 Aug '20

Hola to you all!
This is Mar from Olives and more in 13 Perry Vale, Forest Hill. I hope it’s not too late to introduce myself and my family business to you all on SE23 Life. I’m Spanish and my passion is extra virgin olive oil (evoo). At my shop I sell a wide variety of fresh olives, evoo for all tastes, olive products and other Spanish delicacies, as well as organising evoo tasting sessions which I have run at various London venues since 2015.
The last few months has been a tough time for us all in many respects, but as an independent business owner I would like to give a big thank you for the love and support we’ve received from the Forest Hill community since our opening last last year and more especially during the lockdown. Without your help it would have been a lot, lot harder. Thanks also for your feedback and suggestions which we have taken on board. Finally if you haven’t already, please call in; we’d love to see you!
Shop opening hours: from 10th August to 6th September, 11.30am till 5.30am on Thurs, Fri and Sat. From 7th September onwards it’s back to normal, Tues to Thurs 10a.m to 5pm and Fri and Sat 11a.m to 6p.m.Hasta pronto.