Archived on 6/5/2022

On a light note who is enjoying this heat at the moment?

Pauline
21 Jun '17

It’s so hot & apparently the hottest week in 40 years!

I’m finding leaving all windows ajar is circulating air through the whole house which makes it bearable to sleep in this weather & can sleep well - others have told me they just can’t sleep

Any other suggestions?

anon10646030
21 Jun '17

My mum used to soak bed sheets in cold water and just hang them over my bedroom door, that why the hot air will be soaked up and dry the sheets and the room drops down to a bearable temperature , try it it works

RachaelDunlop
21 Jun '17

I’ve done something similar for the dog, who hates the heat. Soaked a towel and popped it in the freezer fro ten minutes. Hung it over the dog’s crate and put a blanket over that.

This cools the crate by heat exchange (I think). As the water evaporates, it draws heat, and with the blanket over the top, the only place it can draw heat is from inside the crate. When I let him out in the morning, it is noticeably cooler in his crate.

starman
21 Jun '17

I’m finding the aircon works well. Who’s up for a late night G&T pyjama part in 19 degrees? Wear flannel!

Pauline
21 Jun '17

I only use flannel pyjamas but they are definitely out the window now :slight_smile:

Wynell
22 Jun '17

Oh dear I only sleep in the Emperor’s new clothes! But a Bombay & Tonic sounds like a good idea.

TimLund
22 Jun '17

Not my cat

Gillipops
22 Jun '17

I’ve been putting pans of water in the fridge to chill - to pour into and cool down my goldfish’s tank. The poor little blighter!

applespider
22 Jun '17

I quite like the heat.

Closing curtains or blinds will keep inside cooler. If you’re out at work, it will make it feel better when you arrive home.

Wait to open your windows until temp starts to drop outside - and if you have sash windows, open them the same amount, top and bottom, and you’ll create a wee breeze yourself.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

I bought a large fan, nice and cooooooool :sunglasses:

Foresthillnick
22 Jun '17

I like the heat and I like riding my bike in it. Don’t like stopping though as when you do you realise how hot you really are. I do wish it would rain a bit more as watering the garden and the allotment is turning into a bit of an obsession.

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

I also bought a large paddling pool from Morrisons for £10. Bliss.

applespider
22 Jun '17

Even if yesterday afternoon felt like pedalling towards a fan heater on full blast at times - still beats anything not air- conditioned. Tho was glad of a cool shower when I got in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Andrei
22 Jun '17

Just 19 degrees up north so can’t really complain, although we hit 30 in the weekend.

Wynell
22 Jun '17

Being up where you are further from the equator must be cooler?

starman
22 Jun '17

I love not my cat lists!

Londondrz
22 Jun '17

34 degrees here over the weekend. The other plus is that with very shallow sea water the water temperature is nice, as opposed to, bracing :slight_smile:

Pauline
5 Jul '17

Another hot day today, Kept the blinds closed all day & just opened all windows tonight a few inches & seems to have done the trick. Feeling cool for bedtime :slight_smile:

Thanks for that tip @applespider :+1: