Owl on Ebsworth

I think we have a new resident on the street! Has anyone else heard / seen the owl? There has been a lot of twit-twooing the past few evenings!

8 Likes

I’m very excited about this!

I read on the Friends of Blythe Hill that one had been spotted on Blythe Hill a few days ago - I’ve never seen an owl in the wild before and would love to!

I believe some have been heard before on One Tree Hill over the years.

5 Likes

He’s definitely about, and very vocal! Sounds like its coming from the direction of Grierson Road, maybe the Nature Reserve? Either way, he sounds very close by!

2 Likes

Owls are my favourite birds. Last July I got a bit too excited when an owl experience showed up at the Horniman Musuem.

Any idea what type of owl?

1 Like

Not sure - am going to go for a wander this evening to see if I can locate where the call is coming from. Will let you know!

2 Likes

We’ve heard it too! Very exciting!

If it was indeed a “twit-twoo” that OP heard, that’s likely a pair of tawny owls.

2 Likes

Yes Ive heard him. We live on Grierson Road. I woke up at 2am last night and it was hooting. I couldn’t go back to sleep as I was so excited

2 Likes

That does it - am going to go for a wonder up Blythe hill and then loop round to see if I can hear anything!

2 Likes

Good luck.

Success! Heard it in Blythe Hill, tracked it down and saw it perched on a tree, and it then flew off. Tracked it down again and been sat under it for around 30 minutes listening to it and trying to get a photo - I will see if I can get something better but I can only make out it’s silhouette with the naked eye, so I’ve butchered this photo and too dark to autofocus etc etc anyway this is an owl not a escaped ewok from star wars I promise!

23 Likes

So maybe more than one owl? One to go ‘twit’, the other ‘twoo’?

2 Likes

I only heard and saw the one, but quite possible there are two around.

Amazing! I’m just going out for a wander now to see if I can track the sound!

1 Like

Nice! Not a bad photo at all! Looks definitely like a tawny owl to me.

1 Like

Obligatory RSPB link:

1 Like

For anyone who wants to go and see it (and I am no expert - this is the first time I have ever seen a wild owl) what worked for me was first off just listening - the sound is fairly regular and then finding the tree. Then trying to find it in the tree. This is the tree I took the photo of it in - can you spot it?

And this is what it looks like before I played around with the image - ie you are just looking for shapes and sometimes a bit of movement.

7 Likes

This is so exciting!! What time of day did you take these pictures?

2 Likes

I think around 9.15pm to 9.45pm . If Tawny owls as most people are suggesting, I think they are strictly nocturnal .

Be nice if there was a clear night with a nice bright moon, might have another go if that happens, but might never see it again of course - was very lucky to see it yesterday!

3 Likes

Cool! Might try my luck tonight then :slight_smile:

1 Like