Painting the Forest Hill Mural

Absolutely agree. Standing ovation for @Lionel.

And credit to the originators of the idea to add the walrus - you know who you are !!

5 Likes

In case anyone was wondering - this idea was @armadillo’s. What do you think of the final result, Simon?

5 Likes

Was watching them paint the walrus earlier. Great artistry.

2 Likes

Here’s a little vid @liz_hall and I captured today:

And some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/se23/albums/72157667092908108

8 Likes

From what I can see from the above pictures, its looking better than I could have imagined! Will be popping by for a properly look shortly.

The idea to add a touch of Walrus might have come from me, but major respect to @Lionel for agreeing to go with it and integrating it so superbly into one of his trademark pieces!

9 Likes

Amazing work, @Lionel :ok_hand:

12 Likes

A final thank you to the many people who helped make this happen, including @Lionel, @Pauline, @Michael, Eddie Burton from Network Rail, @Armadillo, @Shannonsgc, @Liz_Hall, @SGC, @clausy, @applespider and the 69 generous people who contributed to our crowdfunder, and a special nod to the following who made donations of £100+

6 Likes

An opportunistic piece of information emerged from Thursday night’s meeting for Sydenham’s Mural.

The ever ubiquitous Ed (for he also acts as the NR link for the Sydenham project) advised Jon, who is leading on that project, that NR has announced details of a funding pool of £10k for additional murals.

The only constraint being that the walls to be selected must belong to NR.

So is there an appetite to maintain the momentum and apply for a portion of this funding and paint the wall opposite ?

Views ?

8 Likes

That’s brilliant news John :tada:

Definitely scope for more art in SE23 - between the local community we’ll have to decide which direction to take with the next piece :+1:

Here’s an interview with artist Owain Nicholls, who focussed on the walrussing of our mural, Owain was also responsible for the beautiful Catford butterflies :butterfly:

3 Likes

Should say “One of the constraints being…”

I believe NR want to try to get 4 or 5 murals delivered from the funding.

4 Likes

Some great artists out there, discovered one recently, and contemplating having a piece done for my kitchen wall, and maybe the lounge too.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris, Owain has assisted me on 4 of these signs and did the details on the Walrus he’s a very talented young man and I enjoy employing him on my commissions.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness. It’s beautiful. @Lionel you have created something truly standout that we can all be so proud of. Thank you so much.

5 Likes

What’s NR?

Network Rail.

The walrus is beautiful!

2 Likes

Ah yes, of course. Thanks

This is absolutely fantastic; the colours are great, the walrus is more than amazing, and it exceeds all expectations (which were high!). Well done to all involved - I love this and can’t wait to take a proper look tomorrow!

2 Likes

Really great job.
I thought it would take a week to do.
Impressive! (Art-wise that is)
But for local people to have taken up their valuable time and braved the biting cold last weekend just to scrub all the crap off the wall in the name of community spirit - priceless!

6 Likes