Archived on 6/5/2022

Parcels stolen on Saturday in Honor Oak

dlf75
30 Jan '18

Just a little warning. We had 2 parcels taken from our front porch on Saturday afternoon in Honor Oak. We didn’t instruct the couriers to leave anything there, it has a door, but is certainly not a “safe place” as they seemed to think! Quite brazen to walk down a path, open a door and take a couple of large boxes in broad daylight though. Expect the fact the parcels were left there and visible from the road told the thieves nobody was home. Hope this kind of thing isn’t the precursor to breaking and entering. Has this happened to anyone else recently?

anon5422159
30 Jan '18

Sorry to hear about this, @dlf75

Possibly related topic: Stolen prints

GillB
31 Jan '18

So sorry to hear that has happened to you. It seems nothing is safe anymore.

starman
31 Jan '18

Sometimes the courier’s attempt to hide the parcel is laughable. On more than one occasion I’ve found a big box hidden partly under a not so big welcome mat.

I’m amazed that we haven’t had goods stolen yet.

RachaelDunlop
31 Jan '18

I once came home to this. Can you guess where my parcel is, can you?

armadillo
31 Jan '18

Behind the flower pot?

[edit] … the one on the left… no… right… dammit!!

starman
31 Jan '18

Ha. I can now figure out where @RachaelDunlop lives. Not sure what I’ll do with that information. Not steal Amazon parcels… no… not that.

starman
31 Jan '18

PS. You’ve got a lovely set of pots.

RachaelDunlop
31 Jan '18

Why, thank you.

anon30031319
1 Feb '18

Lots of this happening all over. People following delivery drivers around and picking up what they leave. Scum!

dlf75
1 Feb '18

We got a replacement parcel from the retailer, with strict instructions for the courier not to leave in the porch. Guess where it was left? In the porch, didn’t even bother ringing the doorbell… thankfully nobody made off with it this time.

Londondrz
1 Feb '18

I had a text to say that my parcel could not be delivered as I was not in. I called the (well known) delivery firm and they said that the delivery driver had been to my house as they had GPS tracking on the vans. I mentioned that I had waited in all day. The operator then looked further into it and the driver stopped outside my house for 3 seconds. The Flash apparently works for a well known delivery firm :frowning:

starman
1 Feb '18

With so much online purchases, we are often getting 3-4 deliveries per week. We’ve thought about investing in an external lock box like this one from Hippobox, but they are expensive.

Anyone have any experience with these? Or could make a recommendation?

Londondrz
1 Feb '18

Not the best looking thing but better than in our wheely bin where one parcel was left. No note, just in the bin. Found the package when I took the rubbish out.

Sgc
1 Feb '18

As I am not in during the day I use Collect plus a lot. So left at local costcutter which means I can collect at convenient time (particularly as open later). Does cost a few pounds more but prefer it to hassle. Not sure if always given as an option though…

starman
1 Feb '18

Useful yes. But my primary motive for having home delivery is so that I don’t have to carry stuff.

Strike that. My primary motive is to avoid major stores and shopping areas so I don’t have to deal with annoying people.

So moving stuff is my secondary motive.

applespider
1 Feb '18

I was once told that posties often knew who was likely to be in/out so rather than lug big parcels out, they’d just take the pre-filled cards. Good in one way - less handling reduces damage - but annoying if you were usually out but were in because a parcel was due.

I wonder whether something similar goes on with subcontracted drivers. If the house looks empty, their schedule is so tight that it’s easier not to potentially waste time getting parcel out, ringing bell and waiting.

I like those companies which text a time and then an option to reply to delay, use Collect+ or Post Office, or use a neighbour or safe place. Trouble is that it still depends on them doing it. I recently asked for a case of beer to go to Post Office by text and it still ended up on the top step in full view.

anon30031319
1 Feb '18

Who knows if the courier didn’t give the nod to his mates …:thinking:

GillB
2 Feb '18

We were due to have a small table in flat pack delivered yesterday from a fairly new company, but apparently the company couldn’t get the tracking no. to the courier in time, so said it would have to be next Tuesday. We weren’t happy, as the adviser had already spelt my name wrong, so I cancelled yesterday afternoon.
My husband rang me lunchtime to say there was a note from UPS put through the door trying to deliver furniture & it was now over Brockley Rise! I rang the company again & they confirmed it had been cancelled etc, but the courier must have tried to deliver it anyway! At least they hadn’t left it somewhere they considered safe & were going to have to pick it up again themselves!