Archived on 6/5/2022

Parking ticket - Ringo 0s and Os

Beige
20 Apr '18

I got a parking ticket after paying via Ringo but having mistaken a O for a 0 on the app. Informal appeal given this info was denied by Lewisham.

This was my second ticket for this reason, the first was cancelled as goodwill with an explanatory email about 1 hour AFTER my second ticket. It took them a month to tell me the issue.

Lewisham basically say ‘tough luck’:

“It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that the vehicle registration number linked to the RingGo
parking session is correct.”

Ringo users beware.

hillwalker
20 Apr '18

There was a Guardian article about this issue this week.

Londondrz
20 Apr '18

Had the same just over a year ago, refused on appeal. I mentioned small claims court. They waived the fine.

DevonishForester
20 Apr '18

Are you aware there is a further appeal stage?

If you paid to park, and can prove it, I recommend you use this service:

Beige
20 Apr '18

Yes - was just starting to look into it. Thanks for the link. The issue with this kind of stuff is the amount of time one spends to save some money… even if you win the appeal you have suffered :frowning: …and then there is the principle.

Beige
20 Apr '18

It looks to me like first I would have to formally appeal to Lewisham (so far I only made an ‘online challenge’).

DevonishForester
20 Apr '18

Indeed. As a word of encouragement, I have used the tribunal and found it straightforward to deal with.

But you will have needed to exhaust the appeals with Lewisham. Don’t be put off by the sections where the list of ‘grounds of appeal’ don’t appear to include the circumstances you experienced.

Beige
31 Jul '18

Thanks for the encouragement, I got the ticket cancelled on formal appeal with Lewisham.

DevonishForester
31 Jul '18

Thank you for reporting back. It’s great when people share their experience of tussles with bureaucracy.