Archived on 6/5/2022

PC / Laptop Repair Recommendations

Londondrz
12 Sep '16

My laptop is dying. Can anyone recommend a good, honest repairer? Many thanks, John

Pauline
12 Sep '16

Defo not #SS of #TOSS :joy::joy::joy:

I have someone that’s brilliant and helping with the library - info is at the shop so I’ll PM tomorrow xx

Thewrongtrousers
9 Oct '16

Did you find someone ? I know a chap in Bromley. He was A1. I will dig up his details if you like

BMSE23
22 Mar '18

Hi,

My work PC wont connect to the internet, it isn’t the cable or the socket as my laptop is fine so must be something in the PC itself. Any recommendations on where I can take it at all?

Thanks
Ben

RachaelDunlop
22 Mar '18

@BMSE23 What troubleshooting have you done? Is it a Windows machine? I ask because we had similar problems with a Windows laptop and were able to fix the problem ourselves after some extensive googling!

I take it you can’t get online with an Ethernet cable either?

BMSE23
22 Mar '18

Hi Rachel,

Yes I can’t get online with an ethernet cable, it is a windows machine. Laptop works ok so it’s definitely the PC. I’ve googled and have tried a few suggestions there, no luck yet but will keep trying!

Thanks
Ben

RachaelDunlop
22 Mar '18

I definitely think it would be worth trying all the fixes you can find online before paying. I think it took me about half a day but I got there in the end!

I assume you’ve done all the obvious stuff - making sure the Ethernet cable is enabled, network card is behaving itself, etc? This link lists the computer-related fixes that helped me (you need to scroll down past the list of OS fixes which are probably not relevant).

Of course, once you’ve tried all these and get to fixes than demand an internet connection, you’re going to be stuck. Best of luck.

BMSE23
22 Mar '18

Thanks Rachel really appreciate it!

Ben

Foresthillnick
22 Mar '18

Check to see if there are lights on the back of the network card on the back of the PC. If there aren’t then the network card is likely to be malfunctioning/dead.
Feel free to PM me.

anon51837532
23 Mar '18

Ben

Has your problem been resolved ?