Archived on 6/5/2022

Perry Vale one-way system

anon10646030
24 Nov '16

Just wanted to say that I really like the idea of the proposal from the forest hill society, it would make a big difference for traders on that stretch, not sure how I can copy paste the info here but maybe someone can link it to the forest hill society website

Michael
24 Nov '16

Thanks for the reminder that I should have posted the link here.

Please take a look and tell us what you think in the survey link at the bottom.

Londondrz
24 Nov '16

Stop the terrible parking there and you are onto a winner.

Ed
24 Nov '16

Nice idea. Need to consider the way the junction of Waldram Crescent and Perry Vale would work, otherwise it could lead to accidents between cars wishing to continue onto the narrowed section and those turning into PV from WC.

My other concern would be the cost vs benefit. It’s a relatively short stretch, benefiting a relatively small number of businesses. I wonder if it could be done cheaply, without expensive pavement works, a la NYC Broadway.

anon64893700
24 Nov '16

Doesn’t need a lot spending on it, I agree with @_Ed Just a narrowing, and maybe a protected opposing bike lane .
Won’t stop cars turning off the South Circ onto it of course, not some of them. Accident waiting to happen the speed people take the bend.

Nice idea, but needed, I’m not sure.

One question though… If this is to benefit local businesses, how does it do that by removing all the parking that is currently there, and narrowing the road as per diagram?

Baboonery
24 Nov '16

Worry this will lead to more congestion on Waldram Crescent, tailing back to the south circ, and make that corner even more dangerous than it is. Also, without parking etc, the regeneration will need to focus on footfall-based businesses, open at the area’s peak times, and not merely 9-5. And yes, it’s a short stretch so relatively little benefit if it’s going to be a pain in the backside.

anon10646030
24 Nov '16

I very much doubt that most people shopping there arriving with cars, therefore pedestrians coming from the station would find it an improvement on a less crowded road, I often avoid the superstore across the road from the station simply because I would need to cross a bussy road twice, I understand not a big deal to cross maybe but still a barrier

anon64893700
24 Nov '16

Totally understand your concerns.
As for how people arrive at the shops, it will depend on a few things.

1/ what type of business sets up
2/ hours of said business
3/ what percentage of footfall is commuters vs locals passing in vehicles

For a shop to keep hours to suit commuters, it would need to be something like a cafe, fast food store, or convenience store. We have plenty of the first 2, and not sure an independent could compete with the Co-Op so near by.

People arrive at the Co-Op all the time by car.
Also, speaking of vehicles… Deliveries, on a narrow one way road. Tough tight left turn from Waldram Cresent to serve said business, then nowhere to park when they do.

Michael
24 Nov '16

Any change to the layout would include dedicated loading bays and some (limited) parking bays for shoppers.

The aim is to regenerate this short stretch of road, the only road in Forest Hill with shops that is not on a bus route and main road, so it provides an opportunity that does not exist on Dartmouth or London Roads, if the pavement is widened a little.

We want existing businesses to thrive and we want to make better use of a number of empty units that currently exist. The opening of a fishmonger tomorrow shows that this could be an important part of Forest Hill town centre. A relaxed shopping experience on the side of the railway where approximately half of Forest Hill residents live.

This is deliberately designed to be a small scheme which is relatively cheap and easy to implement and without causing massive disruption.

But I’m biased, I’ve been thinking about this scheme or similar for years, that’s why it is so important to hear other opinions and for people to complete the survey at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2016/11/proposal-for-one-way-scheme-on-perry.html

RachaelDunlop
24 Nov '16

I use this stretch of road in both directions frequently. There is relatively little traffic on it compared to the stretch past Waldram Crescent so I’m not sure what making the road one way would achieve. If it’s just to widen the pavements, then meh. Do wider pavements make a street look better?

The thing that makes this stretch unattractive to me is the heavy parking of lorries and vans, not the traffic. I barely know what shops are there as I can’t see them. If relying on footfall, it seems to me there are two choices: to provide amenities for commuters or; provide eateries and higher end or niche shopping that people will drive to (like Northcross Rd in ED).

The new fishmongers may provide an anchor for the second option. But then what about the existing traders? While the stretch looks shabby, are these traders happy and doing sufficient business? If so they have no motivation to ‘regenerate’.

anon64893700
24 Nov '16

Spot on!

Foresthillnick
24 Nov '16

This. Every time I go down that way there is at least one double parked car which blocks half the road. I couldn’t actually get in the road once as two cars were double parked opposite each other…

AndyS
25 Nov '16

If there’s much less parking that would pretty much kill off my pizza purchases from Piazza Della Cucina: the JK Banqueting traffic will be a nightmare.

On the other hand, if it’s one way, that would stop traffic coming off the South Circular westbound, driving straight up Perry Vale without signalling that they are, as the Highway Code sees it, turning left.

Baboonery
25 Nov '16

I drove up Thicket Rd without signalling the other day and was beset by guilt at the number of times I get annoyed with people doing same at the Perry Vale turn-off. :slight_smile:

Foresthillnick
25 Nov '16

Been on the receiving end of that on my bike on a few occasions - scary it is.

AndyS
25 Nov '16

It’s a bit scary as a pedestrian, too!

The other dodgy junction is where Sunderland Road meets the South Circ.

Stephen
25 Nov '16

The other end of Sunderland road isn’t much better - a very shallow corner mean any vehicles coming down Perry Vale and turning left up into Sunderland are often doing a fair lick and the stupid hedge on that corner mean they can’t see crossing pedestrians. Fortunately it’s not a common route but pram and I nearly got flattened the other weekend.

bigmacca1
25 Nov '16

The parking particulary the double or on more then one occasion treble parked cars/vans needs sorting before wasting the inevitable going over budget ??

Londondrz
25 Nov '16

Doesn’t seem to happening on the Dartmouth Road and there is no church there

bigmacca1
25 Nov '16

Churches and all the barbers / hairdressers along that stretch certainly does,nt help

Londondrz
25 Nov '16

Dont forget the nail bars. Apparently if you own one or use it you can just Park right there.

anon86223367
26 Nov '16

What’s wrong with the current road layout/system?

comoed
26 Nov '16

I’ve also been thinking about Perry Vale and the amount of traffic on it for years and I’d go a lot further than altering just that little stretch (however while I’m fully supportive of the proposed changes, I think that the portion of the road would be far better off totally pedestrianised). The fact that in the last couple of years there have been three incidents where cars have left the road and would have killed someone in the wrong place at the wrong time - having only one injury as a result is amazing. These are just the ones that I know about too.

I’d extend the one way all the way back to Westbourne Drive. It would make the area on the Perry Vale side of the tracks a far nicer place for the majority of people who use it (ie pedestrians).

Londondrz
26 Nov '16

@anon86223367 Can you support the fact that pedestrians are the biggest user? You see, putting traffic somewhere else make that area look great but screws it up somewhere else.

anon10646030
26 Nov '16

Seems there is a driver Vers pedestrians argument, how come it works all over the world and yer making a small stretch one way attracts so much attention

Londondrz
26 Nov '16

Because it’s our little stretch :grin:

Jon_Robinson
26 Nov '16

Why not make it one way, Perry Vale and Waldram, off the south circular as far as the car park/Royal Mail? Keep Westbourne as two way, for entry/exit.

anon64893700
26 Nov '16

I’d still go with leave it as it is.
Also remember that the road management of Perry Vale changes up by the cab office from TfL red route, to Lewisham highways.
All this talk of Aaah just pedestrianise it… Great idea, but then the traffic moves elsewhere, increasing its distance, and factually just ends up with those roads suffering worse driving.
Just a quick note too. As with crossings etc, nothing stops a speeding or out of control car hitting pedestrians. Not signs, lights or road markings.

Personally I think spending any money on this at all is a complete waste. And to mask it with “it’s for the local community and businesses” is just rubbish.
Just my opinion as a user of the roads in many forms.

Dave
26 Nov '16

If it’s not for these reasons, what do you think it’s for?

anon64893700
26 Nov '16

I don’t understand how it will change the dynamic of the road one bit. Waldram crescent will become busier and probably more congested, it is unlikely to become more appealing for local businesses with only one direction of traffic and very limited parking available.

Its all very nobel and all, but I just can’t see it having the impact. Therefore I don’t see it as “for the community”.

Sorry to say there have been many road ‘improvement’ plans which have had no or a negative impact, just look at the welcome the “change of sight lines” on the very same Perry Vale, got.

anon86223367
26 Nov '16

I couldn’t say. I turn in to that end of Perry Vale Monday to Friday to get to work. I’d say you get more consistent vehicle traffic 24/7 as well as the rush hour build ups. But then the pedestrians are absolutely heaving during commuting rush hours. Would definitely need some sort of study or analysis to establish but would the costs be worth it?

topofthehill
26 Nov '16

How would this affect disabled people? And pedestrianisation would presumably mean no drop off points for the disabled, so no access to the shops etc on the area involved?

Londondrz
27 Nov '16

The stretch of road is 40 yards long at most and I would be gobsmacked if disabled useage is not included in the design.

Jon_Robinson
28 Nov '16

If that section were one way then you could have one Lane Of Traffic With Parking Diagonal To The Pavement, like You Sometimes See In The US, many More Spaces Is Obviously Good For Local Businesses.

anon10646030
12 Sep '18

with all the new developments on the Perry vale side over the next two years (portacabin site, Hotel on Coop side and Iron works) I wondered if this proposal is still being looked at or whether it was shelved by now

Michael
12 Sep '18

It is on the list of projects that Lewisham is looking for money (not a lot) from TfL to deliver.

anon10646030
12 Sep '18

Great, thank you for the update