Archived on 6/5/2022

Pest Control

Chris
8 Jan '18

Hi, we seem to be having a problem with mice in our flat. I think they are living up in the loft under the insulation. I have put poison up there and glue traps but am still hearing and seeing the little buggers.

I was wondering if anybody here has had a similar problem and could recommend a local service to use.

Regards

anon5422159
8 Jan '18

Related topic, hopefully helpful: Rodent proofing?

applespider
8 Jan '18

I had mice a few years ago - they had a route under my bed which was a little unnerving! I used a combination of a decent poison (pale blue capsules that smelt of aniseed) which helpfully came in little sachets that you could leave around - if they were nibbled, you knew the rodents had taken the bait but if not, you didn’t have to worry about it staying fresh and needed replaced regularly.

And I used old-school spring traps baited with peanut butter or dried fruit which are more humane than glue traps which I did try initially with no success.

I looked into a few services but they were more interested in blocking up every potential entry and in an old flat with floorboards, that really wasn’t going to be successful. Once I finally identified a few of their preferred mouse routes (lots of droppings and some strange greasy ‘smears’) and put the snap traps perpendicular to those, I caught 9 in just over a week and never saw another one.

Dodge
9 Jan '18

We had the same problem back in the summer they were coming in from under the floor.
Tried loads of traps and bait, but the mice seemed to evade them. In the end we went down the pest control route. Craig, was the person we used his number is 07989343136. Not seen a mouse since.
Good Luck…