Archived on 6/5/2022

Piazza della cucina - pizza place on Perry Vale

starman
9 Jul '16

This place just opened up on Perry Vale near the station. Its got a small but lovely selection of pizzas available. I picked one up as takeaway on Thursday and it was delicious. One of the nicest crusts I’ve had in a long time.

From the street it looks like takeaway only as the front is dominated by the stone oven. But down a couple of steps and through a hole in the wall and its a large sit down restaurant with a nice relaxed feel.

From the Fab Forest Hill FB page it looks like they are offering a free glass of prosecco this weekend if you dine in, or 10% off if you takeaway.

comoed
10 Jul '16

I went here with my family this evening and it was very nice. Yes there was a free glass of bubbly wine this weekend too… They are still getting things together but what is there was very good. Personally I think the pizzas are better at Bona but my kids liked it very much, probably more so. Especially the banana and chocolate calzone pictured below. We’ll be back

anon5422159
10 Jul '16

That desert looks epic. I’m sold!

Pauline
10 Jul '16

I wish these guys the very best of luck in their new venture, and a great addition to Perry Vale :+1:

But please people don’t forget to carry on supporting @BOnA_Pizza & Konrad’s Kitchen in their sourdough pizza offering.

I can tell you from experience (and some are probably aware of this & I did go OTT because it threatened my livelihood, though I do to this day stick by my original findings, but hope this has now changed for the better for customers) that having a new niche business set up close by could potentially hit the existing businesses hard for a few months, so please support all as we don’t want to lose any or put strain on them :slight_smile:

So in other words, please eat lots of pizza in FH over the next few months everyone :joy:

RachaelDunlop
11 Jul '16

I think these are two businesses that could benefit each other rather than take business one from the other. BoNa is often packed out so there seems to be plenty of pizza business out there. Knowing that there is a choice of sit-down venues makes people more likely to come to the area as well. When St David’s was the one coffee shop in town, I would think twice about heading to FH for a sit-down coffee because it was often full when I got there. Now I know I have several options, I don’t hesitate.

LPH
12 Jul '16

We had a family meal here on Saturday night and I was very happy, with the pizzas and the welcome.

Few teething problems (they hadn’t yet had their gelato delivered which was a shame, and the upstairs room is very warm due to the pipes from the oven) but I personally thought the pizza was on a par with Bona and the service was excellent.

Apparently they will soon be expanding the menu to include pasta and salads which is really great news, as although my family are ardent pizza eaters it’s nice to have a choice!

simonk133
12 Jul '16

Just had a takeaway from here. I’d give it a solid 8/10, not quite in the league of Bona but to my amateur tongue seemed “authentic” with good quality ingredients and a great crust. Definitely a good addition to FH - Bona aside, well ahead of any other local pizza option.

anon5422159
14 Jul '16

Just enjoyed a pizza here with @Liz_Hall. It was a bit hot upstairs but we sat downstairs where the temperature was fine. There was a little bit of building work going on but nothing too distracting.

Staff very friendly and the pizza was good. Decent base, although the tomato sauce doesn’t compete with the magical stuff they put on Mamma Dough pizzas. Picante pizza wasn’t particularly spicy.

I’d say 7/10 for the Piazza Della Cucina experience overall (versus 8/10 for BOnA and 9/10 for Mamma Dough).

jrothlis
16 Jul '16

The tomato sauce at Bona is better than Mamma Dough’s. However, they seem obsessed with “white” pizzas (no tomato sauce). The Bona dough is a lot chewier, which at first I thought was a negative, but after a few tries, I’ve ended up vastly preferring Bona’s approach. Plus they do free home delivery for orders over £20.

At the end of the day, both Mamma Dough and Bona are amazing, and we are SOOOO lucky to have them both.

starman
17 Jul '16

Finally had Bona Pizza. IMHO the crust and Base at Della Cucina was better. Mush crisper which is my preference. Though Bona had more interesting toppings.

Nice nonetheless to have choice in the neighbourhood.

EarlGrey
8 Aug '16

We finally tried out Piazza della Cucina fairly late on the way home from a festival on Saturday night. I don’t know if it had anything to do being in the open air all day, but I thought their pizzas were absolutely delicious! We’d visited Rocca in Dulwich Village earlier in the week which was surprisingly disappointing… Piazza delle Cucina’s pizzas were far superior (and better value). What a treat to have this new pizzeria on this side of the tracks :yum:

anon10646030
22 Aug '16

Can only second that, tried first time on Friday and pizza was amazing, staff very friendly too, great addition to forest hill

Foresthillnick
22 Aug '16

Had lunch there with the in laws yesterday. Pity that we were the only people there but a good welcome/service and good pizza made up for that. Relatively cheap but a limited menu at present so looking forward to salads etc…

Daffodil
22 Aug '16

I am looking forward to going but waiting to see if they will offer a couple of salad / pasta options - nothing too complicated but would be nice to have one other choice!

Piazza
20 Sep '16

You are absolutely right.)))

Piazza
20 Sep '16

I promise you that in less then a month , from outside , is going to look perfect for a restaurant.))

Pauline
20 Sep '16

Nice to see you on the forum, welcome :slight_smile:

If you want to get involved in the community please pop in to my shop for a chat anytime & I can add you to our traders google group so that you can be involved with joint traders events etc :+1:

Piazza
21 Sep '16

Thanks.Were is you shop ???

Pauline
21 Sep '16

Sugar Mountain 57 Dartmouth Road :slight_smile:

MissP
21 Sep '16

I’ve now eaten here twice in the last two weeks and I can only say that this is my favourite pizza (& bruschetta) ever!!! No longer any need for me to go to East Dulwich or even to Dartmouth Road for Pizza. It’s lovely to have such quality places on Perry Vale!

Nomis46
23 Sep '16

Would second the bruschetta recommendation! Wonderfully fresh tomatoes!! Pizza was great and staff were very friendly and attentive. Great to have so many pizza options in SE23 now!

starman
23 Sep '16

Agreed. Their bases arrive home crispy not soggy. Now if they could deliver.

BMSE23
23 Sep '16

Looking forward to trying this place out over the weekend!

Katie
26 Sep '16

Had a lovely meal here on saturday evening - great pizza and delicious tiramisu. Service was good too. We were surprised that we were the only people eating in.

jmoney
3 Oct '16

Lovely pizza place – feel very lucky to have two great places to get pizza 10 minutes from our house. Great range of toppings, great service. Highly recommended. :slight_smile:

Moto_Hodder
26 Oct '16

Went to Piazza last Friday. The food was good and the staff were excellent. Will be going back as soon as.

anon88204203
3 Jan '17

Starter not great (caprese, stone cold tomatoes so no taste) but excellent pizza, (Napoli) perfect infact. Very friendly attentive staff. £32 for one starter, two pizzas, a beer and a red wine. Will definitely be going back :slight_smile:

anon5422159
17 May '17
anon10646030
17 May '17

Goes well with the crafty beer sign

anon5422159
20 May '17

Odd place to park a bike:

FH2017
20 May '17

Blame ET. Understand he was a big pizza fan.

anon17648011
23 May '17

Looks like Piazza della cucina is opening an outdoor space for the summer starting this weekend (which is supposed to be the hottest of the year) - should be a lovely spot to enjoy some Italian food al fresco…

Anotherjohn
23 May '17

Sod the bike - I’ve just noticed the SEAFOOD PASTA spesch!

Michael
1 Oct '17

Review from the latest Forest Hill Society newsletter:

Moto_Hodder
3 Oct '17

That opening paragraph referencing Waters and the Perry Vale got old quickly.

Freddyj
4 Oct '17

Love love LOVE this place. Best pizza around.

divya_m
4 Oct '17

Really loved this place too. The pizza I would say is not as spectacular as Bona but still very very good. My pasta was excellent. And the service very friendly. Will definitely keep going back.

Hoarsewhisperer
5 Oct '17

Just pleased to have two quality pizza restaurants within a short stagger of the station. Find it hard to split the pair, so we go to both :smiley:

ForestHull
31 May '19

Old thread I know, but always nice with my kids and a great outdoor space in Forest Hill - especially when the weather forecast is this good!

Moto_Hodder
3 Jun '19

Love this place so much we end up here for lunch most Sundays. But don’t hold that against them!

Timmo44
24 Jun '19

We went here a couple of months ago. Very impressed. Who knew it opened out like that at the back? Very pleasant atmosphere and decor and great pizzas.

Estelle_Lauren
11 Jan '20

We went here tonight after living in forest hill for 10 months (shameful!)

Absolutely gorgeous! Great food and service! A real treat! Definitely recommend!