Archived on 6/5/2022

Planning Application - New Pizza takeaway

Michael
31 Mar '22

There is a planning application to turn the Grand Palladium into a pizza takeaway

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_113793

It looks like it would be Fireaway and would sit right next to Piazza Della Cucina.

oakr
31 Mar '22

Had a quick look on the redacted applicaion form and it says:

Change of use of vacant unit (E use class) into restaurant (E use class) and take away (sui generis) including installation of extraction flue
system to rear, shop front alteration and new signs

Is it vacant now? If so good news for those unhappy with the noise / parking from patrons, but not so good for the staff of course.

I assume this can’t be in addition to what already exists there?

ThorNogson
31 Mar '22

I think it’s just the shop that’s vacant. The hall behind is separate.

jonfrewin
31 Mar '22

Yes, and it has a separate entrance just next to the gold plated shop front.

starman
31 Mar '22

Though for a long time that shop housed the various accoutrements available to those who hire the hall. It has been empty for a time though.

tonyf
31 Mar '22

I think that the last thing we need is yet another Pizza restaurant/takeaway. The parking is horrendous along this part of Perry Vale due to the banquet venue, and this will merely add to it. Add to this the possibility of Just Eat and other delivery mopeds blocking the footway, together with the additional rubbish outside severely limiting the width of the footpath. Is Forest Hill Soc raising comments om this?

maxrocks
31 Mar '22

how many Pizza restaurants /takaways does a small area need?
Its going to be next to an existing Pizza place, I think there may be another one on Stand stead road near the Jenner, Theres Bona on the other side of the underpass, and of course Pizza Hut.
Surely there is an opening for another kind of takeaway, and indeed demand for it.
Seems a bit pointless to me opening ANOTHER pizza place Unless the existing business next door (Piazza Della Cucina) is intending to expand into the space???

oakr
31 Mar '22

I think for eat-in pizza in SE23 we have:

HOP:

Pizzarte (the one you mention near the Jenner)
Chandos
Querce do pizza on quite a few days
Mamma Dough (near the Station)

FH

Bona
Piazza della cucina

I think there are a number of takeaway pizza places in addition to the two big brand takeaway places.

I think these could tell you there is an oversupply, or maybe more likely SE23 loves pizza, and that I guess it’s possibly a good way to start as quick to make, and reasonably simple to make (I may get showdown for that by pizza place owners!) compared to a more traditional restaurant.

Audrey_Finch
31 Mar '22

plus Sfizio

Beige
31 Mar '22

plus Nonna Maria :yum:

BorderPaul
1 Apr '22

minus Pizza al Forno,
we said goodbye last year to my favourite with its massive wood burning oven and got a KFC instead, perhaps we need another pizza restaurant to even up the score between Pizza places and Chicken shacks.

starman
1 Apr '22

That may be the case, but I don’t think the planning authority has a say in what type of restaurant/takeaway moves in once a change of use is approved. Would there also be objections if the plan was for (for example), a Peruvian restaurant also offering takeaway and delivery?

I guess as many as can stay in business. I remember the exact same discussion on dot life when when Piazza della Cucina was about to open. It is now a popular and very welcome local restaurant.

ThorNogson
1 Apr '22

I also remember heated discussions about takeaway pizza places when Dominos was planning to open in HOP.
I think the gist of it was partly anti chain pizza companies ( Dominos bad, but Mama Dough and independents good ? ).
And partly worries about the takeaway being the business model, and that this would lead to groups of delivery motorcycles gathered outside and noise/ emissions.

It is a congested and narrow pavement there and there is seldom a parking space.

clausy
1 Apr '22

Plenty of parking on the pavement opposite :roll_eyes:

se23blue
1 Apr '22

You have both effectively taken the thread off subject yet again.

clausy
1 Apr '22

Parking issues and considerations are a valid part of a response to a planning application for a takeaway restaurant, indeed any development such as a new apartment block on a busy street.

“We are concerned that there is already insufficient parking due to the evidence or cars liberally parking on the pavement outside”

ThorNogson
1 Apr '22

A bit harsh. What’s wrong with the discussion so far- perhaps you have something interesting to say about the issues around developments at this site.

CB
12 Apr '22

It doesn’t strike me as a good time to be opening up a new business. Many of my local favourites have already increased their prices by 25% or more. I don’t blame them, but the reality is that many customers will be having to cut back on little luxuries. I do fear that a lot of businesses will go under in coming months. I can’t see why anyone would start up a new retail or hospitality business now.

HannahM
12 Apr '22

I think pizza is seen as a good bet in these times. It is a relatively cheap treat and pizza places found it easier than most to pivot to takeaway only during lockdowns.