Archived on 6/5/2022

Planting Evergreen Trees in Honor Oak

HopCroftForum
21 Jun '17

Hello everyone. Need your help to decide location of trees!

The ward assembly has kindly allocated some funds for planting some permanent evergreen trees, which will double up as the neighbourhood xmas trees. We thought this would be a more sustainable solution, instead of lots of money going towards a cut tree for just one month of use! We hope to deliver 3-4, one for every part of the ward. We hope all agree this is a better longer term solution.

Locating a tree on Honor Oak Park shopping parade proving a little challenging! Hope everyone can either let us know of any ideal locations we may have missed, let us know if the alternative options are ok?

Suggested locations in Honor Oak are:

1. Option 1: Near station (this was preferred option but tree officer suggesting a. too much footfall and b. his machine picked up lots of underground services. So a compromise might be to have one in a big planter if possible

2. Option 2: On triangle of Brockley Rise shopping parade (near Chandos). There is an existing tree pit by the MOT centre that is ideal and likely to be approved by council.

3. Option 3: Somewhere on/near Duncombe Hill.

Further up in Brockley Rise/Standstead Road end the idea is to maybe have one in St Saviours Grounds, and/or possibly the green space of Ewart road estate.

For Crofton Park End

1. Option 1 - on the triangle by acorn estate agents
  2. Option 2 - on the triangle opposit St Hildas Church
  • Please note, we will submit our application, but it is all still subject to approval by the council. The other caveat is that we also have to volunteer to water it for 1st year or so, till it establishes.

• Please send feedback by 1st July so we can complete the application on time.

• We will also be at the Blythe Hill Festival on the 1st July, so come find us to chat further.

many thanks

HOPcrossbun
22 Jun '17

Great idea!

For Honor Oak, I’d vote for near the station, as surely the place with the most footfall should be a plus? Wouldn’t want to spend all that scarce money on a tree in a location few will see…

anon5422159
22 Jun '17

Sounds good @HopCroftForum. Does this image (that I nicked from your twitter feed) represent the currently available options?

Shall I create a straw poll on this topic to gauge interest?

HopCroftForum
22 Jun '17

They represent the options where we felt there was enough pavement space to have a xmas tree, where people might gather. Option 1 was unfortunately ruled out as this special machine that the tree expert had, showed there are lots of underground services there, so it will most likely be refused by the council. If that does prove most favoured option, then we can see if one in a huge planter will work instead. I can ask the tree company if that would work!
but yes, a poll for these and any others that are missed would be great!

anon5422159
22 Jun '17
  • Option 1 - Near HOP Station
  • Option 2 - On triangle of Brockley Rise shopping parade
  • Option 3 - Somewhere on/near Duncombe Hill
  • Option 4 - Ewart Road estate park
  • Other (please reply)
  • None

0 voters

MathiasRust
23 Jun '17

I like the idea of a tree on the triangle but am not sure what will happen if the the “Brockley Corridor” improvements happen (widening pavements, planting trees etc based on some money from TFL). This particular spot was going to have a new roundabout and large pavement area in front of the Chandos). Did it get shelved?

Christopher
23 Jun '17

Strongly agree with having one by the station - I had previously emailed Lewisham Council and Momma Dough to see if they could be persuaded to support/drive the application. Agree that footfall is a plus - and currently as you exit the station and walk down towards the shops it looks a bit bleak, so some greenery outside Momma Dough (where there’s a huge wide pavement) would really make a difference.

Following that my HO preference would be spot 2 near Chandos. But I think near the station would have a far greater positive effect, and the need there is greater.

HopCroftForum
30 Jun '17

This is being submitted Monday 3rd, So please send in further comments before then.

HopCroftForum
3 Jul '17

Seems option 2 is slightly infront!
thanks to all your thoughts.
More soon when we hear back regarding our application.