Archived on 6/5/2022

Police and ambulances outside Sainsbury’s - 20th Jan 2018

JeffWode
21 Jan '18

Driving past Sainsbury’s on London Road at about 1.15 yesterday, I saw that the whole shop had been emptied and all custoners were on the street, with lots of police vans and ambulances around. Anyone know what was happening? Looked pretty major, though the atmosphere was surprisingly undramatic.

Howdo
21 Jan '18

A bit earlier at about 11.45 I watched staff chase and apprehended a colleague after a bit of a struggle out the back. They removed a bag from him and brought him back into the store. Police turned up as I was leaving at about 12.10 so sounds like there were some ‘afters’

anon5422159
21 Jan '18

Seen on Twitter:

Emmy
21 Jan '18

Saw yesterday that the store had been completely evacuated and there were half a dozen ambulances and police cars in front… I asked several members of staff about it today and they have been ordered not to disclose anything… Why all the secrecy ? Are we not grown up enough to handle the information I wonder…

maxrocks
21 Jan '18

I work in retail and thats common practise.
I think it may be due to if the case goes to trial and witnesses (i.e.; staff members) get interviewed it could cause a weakness in the judicial system if due to taking to joe public about it something appears on a forum such as this therefore its ‘hearsay’ which may jepodise the prosecution.
I’m not a lawyer but I suspect that is why staff are told not to gossip to anyone about such occurrences.