Archived on 6/5/2022

Possibility bin collection will be delayed this week due to the weather

oakr
8 Feb '21

Some details here: https://lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/wasterecycle

ALERT

Service suspended due to adverse weather conditions

There will be disruption throughout this week due to adverse weather conditions.

We recommend you to leave bins out on your normal collection day and we will collect as as soon as conditions allow.

DevonishForester
9 Feb '21

It appears some bins (not ours) were emptied a day early here … we’ll put ours out and hope for the best.

oakr
9 Feb '21

That’s what we’ve done - let’s see.

Sherwood
9 Feb '21

Mine was frozen solid. I have propped the lid slightly open with a piece of cardboard Check that they can empty your bin.

ForestHull
10 Feb '21

Some of the bins around Perry Village look to be being collected a day late, which is pretty good going given how icy some of the side-roads remain.

It maybe worth leaving your bins out if you were expecting a collection.

oakr
10 Feb '21

Yep ours were not collected this morning, have left them out will hopefully get done later or tomorrow. Fair enough from me as well, as you say icy and potentially dangerous for those involved, so best to be safe (and they have been out collecting during the whole pandemic).

GotDeletedOnce
10 Feb '21
ChrisR
10 Feb '21

Both recycling and general waste bins were collected on Sunderland Road this morning which is our normal day.

starman
10 Feb '21

Was your grey food bin collected? So far we’ve only had collections for black and green bins. Same road.

Estelle_Lauren
10 Feb '21

Elsinore road were collected today and it’s usually Tuesday.

ChrisR
10 Feb '21

Hi starman - I’m in a block of flats and we still haven’t been included in the council food waste collection so there wasn’t any food bins for them to collect from us! However I’ve looked out of the window and can see one of the neighbours on the other side of the road have their 2 food waste bins standing neatly up against their front wall which isn’t how they usually are after being emptied! So I’d hazard a guess that they are still exactly as they were when put out for collection last night! :laughing:

oakr
10 Feb '21

We’ve had our black bin emptied but not the recycling bin or food one, Brockley Rise.

bigmacca1
10 Feb '21

Big thumbs up to the Dustmen, Ours was emptied today :Normally emptied on a Tuesday.

Pity the Roadsweepers cant throw a bit of salt/grit down on some of the pavements they are lethal in places.

ChrisR
10 Feb '21

Are you normally a Tuesday or Wednesday collection on Brockley Rise?

oakr
10 Feb '21

Wednesday morning for us normally, so effectively the black bin done the right day, a bit later and I guess the other 2 will be tomorrow or Friday.

ChrisR
10 Feb '21

That’s strange as the council tweet posted above says they were focusing on the Wednesday collections today and then doing what they could from the missed collections from previous days. Our green recycling bin was collected first although later than normal followed by the black general waste bin quite a bit later which is the normal sequence for us. Although we don’t have brown garden waste or grey food waste bins I know they are usually the earliest of all the collections - often well before 7am as they often wake me up when I’ve had the bedroom window open!! Hope your other bins get collected before the end of the week.

oakr
10 Feb '21

Yes not sure but I’m not complaining, as I said above they have been out all pandemic and yesterday and this morning some pavements were pretty slippy which isn’t great dragging heavy bins around I imagine!

We are on the busy bit if Brockley Rise and also collections are not normally before 7am so I wonder if they don’t collect later in the day when the traffic is busier.

oakr
11 Feb '21

Recycling bin collected this morning, just the food one to go.

ChrisR
11 Feb '21

Today’s update on Twitter from Lewisham Council:

I see my neighbours food bins are still by their wall exactly as they were yesterday so it does seem that the garden and food waste bins which I think are collected together are the ones that have been left at the moment. I can understand leaving the garden waste but I would have thought the food waste was important although with the outside temperature I suppose nothing in them is getting smelly as it would in warmer temperatures!

HillLife
11 Feb '21

My food bin was the only one taken yesterday and the green and black bin was left.

ChrisR
11 Feb '21

I guess it varies depending on which route you’re on for each of the collections.

DevonishForester
11 Feb '21

The original message from Lewisham suggested that there would be delays, but on our road some bins were emptied a day early. How would anyone know that was happening? From what I understand they just grabbed the bins they could see. If your bin was tucked away out of sight, then it wasn’t emptied. I hope they don’t regard our street as ‘done’. Our black bin is full.

Suze
11 Feb '21

We had black bin and recycling emptied today. The food waste hasn’t been taken (all usually done in Wednesdays).

ChrisR
12 Feb '21

For those of you still waiting for bins to be collected -
Today’s update from Lewisham Council on Twitter:

oakr
12 Feb '21

Thanks. I have a feeling our food bin was missed off as my neighbours appear to have been done but will leave it out for now. We’ll just use the Black bin if it gets full next week before collection but I’ll make an extra effort to compost some of it, which I should be doing already in fairness.

Sherwood
12 Feb '21

My black bin was emptied this morning!

HonorOakBloke
12 Feb '21

Food waste was collected from Codrington Hill properties this morning…

DevonishForester
13 Feb '21

The Council has asked for missed collections not to be reported, so I guess I’ll be putting our household rubbish in public litter bins for the next couple of weeks.

oakr
13 Feb '21

I think they meant don’t report it whilst eveything was delayed, hopefully next week once they think they have caught up missed collections for blackbins etc which are every 2 weeks can be reported, the other bins who knows.

Clair
13 Feb '21

Yep our full black bin wasn’t done. I took both up as normal on Tuesday evening, ready for Wednesday. Green bin done Thursday. Full black bin is going to have to wait another 2 weeks. Annoying, where are you meant to put black bin rubbish now.
They never collect early. How were residents meant to know this was a possibility?

DevonishForester
22 Feb '21

It’s going to be four weeks between collections.

Clair
23 Feb '21

Fingers crossed for black bin collection tomorrow.

Sherwood
24 Feb '21

My black bin was collected on the normal day.

oakr
24 Feb '21

All our bins collected as normal today so normal service resumed (well it resumed last week really, but they also did the black bins today).