Archived on 6/5/2022

Possible New Art Gallery in FH, D Rd

Pauline
10 Apr '17

Hope this is not cliquey at all & I would encourage all to participate.

Myself & @Michael met with the landlord of what was The Horniman Walrurs painting (41 D Rd) shop yesterday to discuss what it will potentially become.

An upmarket art gallery seems to be what it might become.

Both myself & Michael did point out we liked the @HornimanMuseum Walrus painting quite a lot.

Continuing the discussion from What else does Forest Hill need? [2016]:

anon5422159
10 Apr '17

Do you mean 41 Dartmouth Rd?

In Naked Form

Adorned with Walrus

From http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2013/04/a-colourful-high-street.html

Pauline
10 Apr '17

Yes Chris, just changed my mistake from 51-41 D Rd :+1:

weepy
11 Apr '17

What does upmarket mean in this context ?

RachaelDunlop
11 Apr '17

My guess would be ‘expensive’.

weepy
11 Apr '17

Like Mayfair expensive :wink: ?

Pauline
11 Apr '17

I’m not sure, that’s the words the landlord used :slight_smile:

Michael
11 Apr '17

I took the landlord to see Canvas & Cream afterwards to look at the art work and the space (including skylights) that make it work as a small gallery as well as cafe. He was impressed that Charles Saatchi had visited (and brought the whole collection).

I’m not going to share the name of the person looking at this as a possible business but she has experience of the art business in South East London. It does sound like a good addition to the high street, even without a giant walrus mural.

RachaelDunlop
11 Apr '17

Oh. One name immediately springs to mind. Interesting.

Michael
11 Apr '17

If you’re thinking of who i first thought of then no, not her (something of a relief).

anon10646030
11 Apr '17

Damn I would have welcomed Nigella to dartmouth road with open arms :smiley:

RachaelDunlop
11 Apr '17

Phew.

Pauline
11 Apr '17

I defo wouldn’t have posted this if it was who I think you thought of :joy:

This lady has never had a shop in FH before :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
11 Apr '17

Okay, we should probably stop being cryptic now for the sake of the rest of the forum!

It will be really interesting to see if this goes ahead. How long has that property been empty now?

Pauline
11 Apr '17

I think it’s been close to 20 years since it was opened when it was a bakery, so it would be great to have it open again :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
11 Apr '17

He’s been doing the rounds this lucky guy!

After he told me that I’d been blown out of the water by this prospective artist/dealer buyer 10 days ago, I [begrudgingly] offered my congratulations before dragging him down Havelock Walk where we also had a brief chat with David Mach. So, after your tour as well, he’s properly well acquainted with the artistic soul of the town now.