Archived on 6/5/2022

Posts in speeding

Rosered
13 Apr '22

I’m unclear what is wrong with this thread that has required it to be put in slow mode. And since this has been done after my own posts it would be helpful to know what it was about them that moderators thought was unacceptable because I don’t want to cause trouble on this site but I also genuinely can’t see what is problematic about my posts (other than a mild dig at the police response to burglary). They are all responses to other peoples comments rather than starting a new tangent and I honestly didn’t think any of them were rude, although I apologise if other people thing differently.

Michael
13 Apr '22

I suspect after three posts in a row your fourth post sort of answers your own question (not that you are the only person posting multiple times in an hour). Slow mode is good to limit such behaviour from multiple participants.

But I’m not a moderator, i’m just trying to follow the same old cyclists v bike v speed debate, and trying to spice it up with unhelpful political references :smiling_imp:

ForestHull
13 Apr '22

@Rosered - your posts are absolutely fine, thank you for contributing.

The topic as a whole (i.e. not your posts) does however have some signs of potential arguments ahead. Rather than risking the topic turning to a complete mess and then having to deal with the fallout, we decided to try slow-mode in advance.

This isn’t a reprimand of any sort to anyone, and doesn’t stop posting. We hope it does prevent any single member from dominating while hopefully giving time for more consideration between posts on that topic.

More info on slow-mode can be found in the site FAQ. I hope this helps.

clausy
13 Apr '22

It is amusing that the ‘Speeding’ topic is in slow mode though, right :slight_smile: ?

Beige
13 Apr '22

As if the 20 mph blanket wasn’t enough for Them.

Rosered
13 Apr '22

Oh well, I’ll have to remember, when I’m catching up on a thread and see two or three interesting posts by others, that I need to wait an hour/day/year before replying to each of them instead of replying when I read them!

oakr
13 Apr '22

Hi @Rosered

You can reply to multiple posts in one singualr post by quoting bits from those posts. This also has the advantage that you can respond to specific bits of those posts. You do this by highlighting the text in someone’s post, and you will then see the option to “quote”. For example, from this thread, I will respond to multiple people:

I’m happy the moderators have answered this!

Michael is correct!

Great idea!

That’s a good one Claus!

Hopefully you can now see you can respond in one go!

Hope that helps. I can’t see the thread itself as I have it muted!

marymck
13 Apr '22

That’s quite a tricky thing to do on a mobile, without losing the lot as I have done in the past. It also makes it a long read. A complex read too, if the reader wants to check out the entirety of the posts from which you’re quoting.

oakr
13 Apr '22

In fairness I did do the above on the laptop, and agreed harder on a mobile.

True, but on the other hand if it is simply replies, which can be from posts much further up the thread, you could argue it is harder to see what is being responded to. I can see either side, but I don’t see another way of doing it whilst in slow mode which was really the solution I was trying to provide.