Archived on 6/5/2022

Premises next to Clapton Craft?

Dominic_O_loghlen
25 Aug '20

Any ideas what’s going on to the premises next to Clapton Craft? Lots of work taking place it seems …

robertjroy
25 Aug '20

This place? It hasn’t had a store there for about 10 years, so it will be interesting to see what they do to it.

Bolgerp
25 Aug '20

Intriguing. Although I’m pretty sure we can rule out Waitrose (again)…:laughing:

Pea
25 Aug '20

Is there some action at the store then? It’s been brushed with that white stuff for a while as per pics.

Wasn’t there chat about waterford’s old site changing?

se23blue
25 Aug '20

Do you mean Waters Fishmonger Greengrocer @ 14 Perry Vale ?

Pea
25 Aug '20

That’s the one! Been a while.

Dominic_O_loghlen
26 Aug '20

That’s the one. There have been workmen (chippies) in there for the past couple of weeks.

Pea
26 Aug '20

Well that sounds promising. If it’s anything like Clapton or the Olives shop we’ll all be very happy.

westy1980
26 Aug '20

Would love to see a hairdressers or nail bar ideally

Dave
26 Aug '20

I can’t believe there isn’t a single estate agent on that whole parade. There’s clearly a gap in the market.

westy1980
26 Aug '20

But on a serious note, what do people think of pedestrianising this street? You could have decent bin storage and space for places like piazza della cucina to allow outside dining. Not sure the road itself is needed for traffic other than access?

anon5422159
26 Aug '20

I’ve proposed this in an older topic.

I think it’d be a great idea - especially as there’s a school on #perry-vale that would benefit from traffic reduction, and many businesses that would benefit from being able to lay out seating in the street area. The pedestrianisation of Coulgate St in Brockley has been a roaring success.

westy1980
26 Aug '20

What would be the process of actually doing this? I presume we’d have to canvass residents and businesses to gauge support, then take that as evidence to the council? Anyone got any experience of actually making this happen?

ForestHull
26 Aug '20

If the Perry Vale / South Circ junction were to be rethought so you could turn right onto the South Circ, that might not be an issue. With the other developments in that area (assuming they all complete in the current climate), a little pedestrian type area might do well there - it would have to be called Piazza Della Cucina of course!

Estelle_Lauren
26 Aug '20

Piazza Della Cucina has an amazing outside area out the back. Would highly recommend.

ForestHull
26 Aug '20

Yes, it feels a bit like being on holiday out the back there - a lovely little spot.

John_Wilson
26 Aug '20

Considering they are in part red route I guess Tfl will just say no. Plus to fully utilise you would need to connect properly to London Road - so fixing the lights and widening the subway.

Its a nice idea - personally I would like to see the station brought back to 4 platforms (there is space) and in the process they can fix the horrible double 90 degree bend in A205 (only seen two cycle vs car accidents in the last week)

Lj
26 Aug '20

Oh god that was a horrible sight this week. I hope the cyclist was ok.

If ever there was a big enough incentive for the council/TFL to bloody do something about the Devonshire Road/South circular junction the incidents were definitely a reminder! The mentality of the aggressive drivers beeping the standstill traffic whilst emergency services assisted the injured person was sickening and just shows how thoughtless the drivers are as they zoom through our lovely neighbourhood.

John_Wilson
26 Aug '20

Which crash are you talking about? The one yesterday seemed quite calm. The one last Weds I don’t think was attended.
I might be forgetting one…

Lj
26 Aug '20

There was one on Monday evening, a cyclist…I’m assuming had been knocked off their bike at the Devonshire Road/South circular junction. Looked pretty bad, ambulance crew in attendance and police taking statements. Was really upsetting to see. They really need to slow the traffic as it whizzes around the bend to/from the bridge - cyclists don’t stand a chance!

clausy
26 Aug '20

Yes that’s a particularly nasty junction as you come down the hill with cars pulling into and out of Devonshire Rd. It’s not fun getting picked up off the floor as a cyclist, trust me. Stay safe everyone.

robertjroy
26 Aug '20

There’s lots of rubble and a hole in the floor…

chamonix
26 Aug '20

That hole has been there for about 6 months

PV
26 Aug '20

It’s going to be a Shawshank Redemption themed speakeasy where the bar is in a hand-tunnelled cave under the floor, hidden under a Racquel Welch poster.

christina_1
4 Sep '20

Hey everyone,
I am doing a little more research into what people might want this shop to be, along with finding out if an eco friendly, coffee shop (to dine in or out) that sells some nice cakes and a few bits to eat, along with plants and pots would be of interest to the residents of forest hill. I’ve lived here for 2 years and am desperate for a coffee shop on our side!!
Please can you take this survey, it only takes 2 minutes!

Thank you,
Christina - plant lover of forest hill x

ChrisR
4 Sep '20

Hi Christina. To make sure you get relevant and useful answers to your survey questions may I suggest you “tighten up” some of the questions?
E.g. Your first question as it stands appears to be a general one referring to purchasing coffee but if you want people to answer in relation to purchasing coffee locally in Forest Hill then I would add “in Forest Hill”. Do you need to know if people that are purchasing coffee locally are having it “in store” or as takeaway? There is no option for frequency of purchasing houseplants between several times a year and never. That’s quite a gap.

chamonix
4 Sep '20

Does this mean you’re thinking of leasing this building or have done so already?

Lj
4 Sep '20

I personally would love a wine/cocktail bar. FH is a little swamped by coffee shops, nail salons, pizza places and estate agents.

Would be nice to have an adult social place for evenings that isn’t in a pub environment. Something along the same lines as “Grounds and Grapes” in HOP.

Obviously the planning permission around this is more difficult than a coffee shop.

Nadia
4 Sep '20

I would echo Lj, I think we need something a little more enticing.
Living roughly halfway between Forest Hill and Honor Oak, I tend to go much more local for coffee anyway (no.41), but if not there’s already lots on offer in FH. Honor Oak draws me in a bit more because there’s more of a social side with g&g and two spoons - a nice place for a drink or two that’s more laid back than a pub. Appreciate it’s not easy for small wine bar type businesses to flourish right now given social distancing measures…

clausy
4 Sep '20

This is actually a great idea… :+1:

Pea
4 Sep '20

Agree

se23blue
4 Sep '20

With all the flats that have been squeezed into 8/10 Perry Vale I would be surprised if there is enough space for a wine/cocktail bar.

ForestHull
12 Dec '20

Looks like the hole has been filled and things tidied up a bit:

Perhaps we can hope for some more developments in the new year? :crossed_fingers:

Lucy_Baragwanath
12 Dec '20

I would love to see a zebra crossing to get across the busy slow but busy road - we ( me toddler) dice for death every morning to get across to the train under-passage

Pea
12 Dec '20

Agree. There are several spots in the area that are so dangerous to cross yet Lewisham turns a blind eye to requests for crossings.

se23blue
13 Dec '20

Back on topic,does anyone know of any plans for the Premises next to Clapton Craft ?
It has been empty for at least eight years to my knowledge.