Archived on 6/5/2022

Quote function unreliable

anon5422159
16 Jan '17

I’ve found the quote functionality to be a little quirky on some of the slow connections I’ve had on my travels. I will definitely look into this on my return. Thanks for the report. As for auto refreshing I will test this and PM you if I can’t reproduce the problem.

The live-updating of polls was broken recently but I reported this to the Discourse developers and three days later, they’d fixed it. I love leaving a poll open in my browser and watching the results update :sunglasses:

RachaelDunlop
16 Jan '17

I’ve always found the ‘quote’ function iffy on iPhone and iPad. All depends in what way the device decides to deploy the highlight. Sometimes it just doesn’t offer the quote pop-up. This has always been the case for me, not just in ioS10.

Although I’ve just tested it on my brand spanking new iPad Pro and it works a treat.

anon5422159
16 Jan '17

Thanks @RachaelDunlop and @Brett. I’ve raised this with the developers and will report back.

Londondrz
16 Jan '17

Ditto on Android. Works 80% of the time, the other 20%, nothing.

anon5422159
16 Jan '17

@brett, @rachaeldunlop, @londondrz:

This just in from the Discourse team:

Brett
16 Jan '17

Go to this post:

Using landscape orientation, highlight the first 2 lines (1st para). That is by using the finger to select text, it guides you to select whole 2 lines. Don’t know how else to describe this but try it and see. Then try and tap on the Quote bubble and, at least on my iPad, nothing happens.

HTH

anon5422159
16 Jan '17

Thanks @Brett - that’s very helpful and I’ve passed it along to the developers.

Londondrz
17 Jan '17

On Android I will highlight the text but no quote bar will appear.

RachaelDunlop
17 Jan '17

That’s my issue on iPhone 6 and my old iPad Air. New iPad Pro seems to cope better - it puts up both the quote button and the regular iOS ‘Select, copy… etc’ bar.

Londondrz
17 Jan '17

Mind you this is small cheese, TOSS seems to be broken atm.

starman
17 Jan '17

Yeah. That’s a bit of an annoyance.