Archived on 6/5/2022

Raptor in South Rd

tonyf
13 Apr '18

Wednesday 11th April around 7pm.Loud screeching noise looked up and saw what I thought was a Buzzard perched on the tower of the an old Church. Amazing sight no photos though, other people stopped to see the bird, just wondered if anyone could actually identify it, some were taking photos.

OakR Edit to remove name of Church.

Tazmondo
13 Apr '18

I was about to pose a similiar question! I’ve been hearing the bird squawking regularly for the last week or so but have only seen it in flight on one occasion, early Wednesday morning as it swooped down past me from a cornerstone on the Church spire. Was quite a sight first thing in the morning… Not sure what it was as it went past at such speed, but shall be keeping my camera-phone to hand when I walk past to see if I get lucky enough to get a snap. Thinking maybe its nesting high up on the church?

tonyf
13 Apr '18

Just been told it could be a Peregine Falcon.

tonyf
17 Apr '18

The Falcon is back tonight on the North East tower

Tazmondo
21 Apr '18

Saw the Falcon yesterday evening wrestling with a Pigeon in its talons, but it had managed to break free by the time I could get my phone out.

Explains the sudden increase in feathers scattered around the church area!

Tazmondo
21 Apr '18

starman
21 Apr '18

Is anyone else disappointed it doesn’t look like this?

anon30031319
21 Apr '18

All this time I have been looking for one of these.

MackemJo
21 Apr '18

We took this 2 weeks ago shortly after it devoured a feral pigeon in our back garden. A friend who is a serious birder identified it as a large female sparrowhawk. Quite something!

anon30031319
21 Apr '18

Great snap, and answers to the mystery. Great to have diversity in the wildlife.

MackemJo
21 Apr '18

Absolutely! We moved here from Newcastle 5 years ago and still can’t believe the huge variety of wildlife we see in our garden. It’s amazing.

anon5422159
21 Apr '18

Finally, London’s pigeons serve a useful purpose.

I hope these beautiful sparrowhawks prosper.

PhilipPetrou
22 Apr '18

Hi Tony
Is that the church in road name removed?
I’m amateur wild photographer and live in Forest Hill?
Philip

ThorNogson
22 Apr '18

there is a pair of them. Last evening about 7pm saw one plucking and eating a pigeon. I was told by someone who lives in the tower that they also eat green parakeets.

ThorNogson
22 Apr '18

We’ve had the bird books out, and fairly sure these birds are peregrine falcons.

elvi
22 Apr '18

We were told they are a pair of peregrine falcons?

anon30031319
22 Apr '18

Size wise, they seem to fit being Peregrines
Interesting info on Londons population of them.

Michael
22 Apr '18

Peregrines have dark markings on the sides of their faces

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17826169

The excellent photos from @ThorNogson would suggest peregrines.
The excellent photo from @MackemJo is clearly a sparrowhawk.

I don’t have any good photos but there is occasionally an unmistakable sound of an owl at night around my house.

Fran_487
22 Apr '18

For anyone like me who’s new to raptors (bear with me) and finds them intensely beautiful as well as absolutely terrifying, I recommend Raptor: A Journey Through Birds, which is a loving and interesting study. And has a rather gorgeous cover.

With all these impressive new arrivals, I’ll be looking up and around me much more regularly now!

Thewrongtrousers
22 Apr '18

I wonder if they eat green parrots ?

MackemJo
22 Apr '18

Totally agree @Michael@ThorNogson’s photos make it totally clear. Wonderful to have all this in SE23!

anon30031319
22 Apr '18

By all accounts, yes.

applespider
22 Apr '18

There are peregrines on the spire of the old church opposite The Grove too.

If you’re luck enough to see them dive, their speed is amazing.

tonyf
23 Apr '18

Hi Philip

Yes it is, other people have been much luckier with their photos than me.

PhilipPetrou
23 Apr '18

Thanks, will try when return from my holiday

LeeHC
23 Apr '18

From the wingshape (seen this morning!) and the call, seems like a peregrine falcon- unless there are peregrines and sparrowhawks on the prowl?

Michael
23 Apr '18

Would somebody like to arrange a bird spotting tour of SE23 focused on some of our more unusual bird - peregrines, sparrow harks, owls, swifts, parakeets, woodpeckers, etc

I’ve no idea if it would even be possible to arrange something like that, but I think it could be good fun. We could arrange for a few dead starlings or a murder of crows to attract some of the birds of prey to the roof of a local church.

Brett
23 Apr '18

Very funny!

I don’t think parakeets count as unusual anymore though.

starman
23 Apr '18

I don’t wish to belabour the Jurassic Park references but I am reminded of this scene.

ThorNogson
23 Apr '18

now you’ve made me think of Q The Winged Serpent, a horror classic where the bird in question nested in the tower of the Chrysler building in NYC. Caused a stir by dining on people rather than pigeons and parakeets though.image

ThorNogson
26 Apr '18

Back to peregrine falcons though, for those who want to know more there is a tv programme about them tonight, 8pm on BBC2.

elvi
26 Apr '18

Well, I hope they are not nesting ( they were mating last week…) because flyimg a drone close to their nesting site does not strike as a very sensible thing to do.

anon5422159
26 Apr '18

Indeed - and also breaking a by-law in the borough of Lewisham.

Tazmondo
26 Apr '18

I was quietly hoping to see one of the Peregrines take out the drone like one of those viral Eagle videos but alas they didn’t seem to be around at the time.

Tazmondo
26 Apr '18
anon30031319
26 Apr '18

Indeed there has been a drone buzzing around locally recently, somewhat annoyingly.

Even if the owner is blissfully unaware of the birds being there, surely there is a serious privacy issue too with that tower being someone’s house and all.

And of course as Chris says, they are not allowed without jumping through hoops anyway.

tonyf
27 Apr '18

Reported the drone issue to London Peregrine partnership, may be the can help.

I saw one of them catch a pigeon on Wednesday night, an amazing site. I wish the people flying the drone would just leave these birds alone.

Perhaps if anyone does see the drone, it could be reported on here, then maybe we could name & shame or get the thing grounded.

Tony

tonyf
27 Apr '18

Hi There Reply below London Peregrine

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I’m aware of this pair. That’s bad news about the drone. It’s quite possible whoever it is operating it is trying to film the birds. You could report it to the police however the best course of action might be to approach whoever’s doing it and video them in the process. Unfortunately if it’s a local resident and not a commercial operator then it will be difficult to do anything without identifying them.

I don’t think there’s anywhere on the church for them to nest, but they may attempt it nearby in future.

Kind regards,

Stuart Harrington

London Peregrine Partnership
www.london-peregrine-partnership.org.uk
@LdnPeregrines

ThorNogson
27 Apr '18

the guy I met who lives in the tower told me they do not nest in the tower, but take their prey there to eat it. This was on the basis of a couple of seasons of observing the behaviour. He said he often finds bones and things on his windowsill. If this is correct I suppose the question is where exactly do/will they nest?

Michael
27 Apr '18

If anybody has the answer it is probably best to keep it to yourself to prevent anybody disturbing the nest.

starman
27 Apr '18

How amazing would it be to find a peregrine falcon on your window sill in the morning.

anon30031319
2 May '18

Somewhere, one day, maybe in Forest Hill, someone will get a shot as awesome as this one…

Ryan
23 Sep '19

Just bringing this thread back to life as I think I witnessed a Peregrine catch another small bird in our yard today. CCTV to follow hopefully if the bosses son can edit well enough.

Anyone know if there has been any recent sightings?

ForestHull
23 Sep '19

@oakr had a great pic 15 days ago?

chamonix
23 Sep '19

God I hope so! We need something to deal with the Pigeon plague.

gc_hq
28 Sep '19

This was Tuesday morning

HannahM
28 Sep '19

Wow he’s pretty magnificent.

oakr
28 Sep '19

Inspired by this thread and your photo I went back to try and see one again today., having failed on previous visits. After a walk around Inthought another failure was in order until I spotted it high up and mostly hidden from some angles. I will have to go back when the sun is out but managed to get a few reasonably close up ones:

What a please to have these in SE23!

Scorpion
28 Sep '19

Wow! What absolutely fantastic photos. Thank you!

MackemJo
28 Sep '19

Incredible photos @oakr!

Howdo
28 Sep '19

Superb photos! Which church was this? The one near the Grove?

oakr
28 Sep '19

Thanks @MackemJo and @Scorpion. @Howdo no it’s the road name removed just off the South Circular.

I wonder if it’s the same bird (or birds) visiting different sites?

oakr
20 Oct '19

Took my son down and got to see it take off today which was great for both of us!

starman
20 Oct '19

Wow. Just wow.