Raptor in South Rd

south-rd

Wednesday 11th April around 7pm.Loud screeching noise looked up and saw what I thought was a Buzzard perched on the tower of the old Christchurch Church. Amazing sight no photos though, other people stopped to see the bird, just wondered if anyone could actually identify it, some were taking photos.

I was about to pose a similiar question! I’ve been hearing the bird squawking regularly for the last week or so but have only seen it in flight on one occasion, early Wednesday morning as it swooped down past me from a cornerstone on the Church spire. Was quite a sight first thing in the morning… Not sure what it was as it went past at such speed, but shall be keeping my camera-phone to hand when I walk past to see if I get lucky enough to get a snap. Thinking maybe its nesting high up on the church?

Just been told it could be a Peregine Falcon.

The Falcon is back tonight on the North East tower

Saw the Falcon yesterday evening wrestling with a Pigeon in its talons, but it had managed to break free by the time I could get my phone out.

Explains the sudden increase in feathers scattered around the church area!

Is anyone else disappointed it doesn’t look like this?

All this time I have been looking for one of these.

We took this 2 weeks ago shortly after it devoured a feral pigeon in our back garden. A friend who is a serious birder identified it as a large female sparrowhawk. Quite something!

Great snap, and answers to the mystery. Great to have diversity in the wildlife.

Absolutely! We moved here from Newcastle 5 years ago and still can’t believe the huge variety of wildlife we see in our garden. It’s amazing.

Finally, London’s pigeons serve a useful purpose.

I hope these beautiful sparrowhawks prosper.

Hi Tony
Is that the church in Churchrise?
I’m amateur wild photographer and live in Forest Hill?
Philip

there is a pair of them. Last evening about 7pm saw one plucking and eating a pigeon. I was told by someone who lives in the tower that they also eat green parakeets.

We’ve had the bird books out, and fairly sure these birds are peregrine falcons.

We were told they are a pair of peregrine falcons?

Size wise, they seem to fit being Peregrines
Interesting info on Londons population of them.

Peregrines have dark markings on the sides of their faces

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17826169

The excellent photos from @ThorNogson would suggest peregrines.
The excellent photo from @MackemJo is clearly a sparrowhawk.

I don’t have any good photos but there is occasionally an unmistakable sound of an owl at night around my house.

For anyone like me who’s new to raptors (bear with me) and finds them intensely beautiful as well as absolutely terrifying, I recommend Raptor: A Journey Through Birds, which is a loving and interesting study. And has a rather gorgeous cover.

With all these impressive new arrivals, I’ll be looking up and around me much more regularly now!

I wonder if they eat green parrots ?