Archived on 6/5/2022

Real Nappy Week 2018

MsForetHugel
24 Apr '18

On Monday was the start of #RNW2018 also known as Real Nappy Week 2018.

The week runs from 23rd of April until the 29th of April

The purpose is to raise awareness and “normalise” cloth nappies so that more parents feel confident in trying them out and #giveclothachance.

Why is it important
I’m not going to spend too much time explaining why it’s important but short of it

1. Loads better for the environment (yes even with the extra water & electricity added in!)
  2. Can be much cheaper than disposables
  3. Less chemicals etc
  4. One baby = on average 850 kg of nappy waste, and in SE23 which is sort of “Nappy Valley” that’s a lot of nappies !!

Get Lewisham to be part of the Real Nappies for London Voucher Scheme
Several boroughs work with RNfL to provide vouchers to help families with the upfront cost of cloth nappies. Lewisham apparently use to be part of it but have pulled out. On the below link you can write to your councillors to ask them to reconsider.

Events in London
You can drop in a Nappucino or a nappy library to find out more about using nappies, but for this week there are special events you can read more about them on http://www.realnappiesforlondon.org.uk/events-diary/

Discounted Nappies
So for you bargain hunters, a lot of the cloth nappy brands and websites that support them have big discounts on this week ranging from 15% to 25% off, so if the cost was putting you off now is a great time to buy a couple to test them. If you need any help or want tips, feel free to message me, or let me know in the comments.

Convert to Cloth
It’s not all about nappies. You might be done with babies, but have you considered buying reusable wipes? Or reusable makeup pads? Or even gasp sanitary pads Care is easy just throw them in your normal 40 wash

system
23 Jun '18

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.