Archived on 6/5/2022

Recommend A Vet in SE23

djrightmove
21 Jun '16

Can anyone recommend a local vet in Forest Hill?

Just got a 10 week old pup and would love him to get treated by a recommended vet…

anon64893700
21 Jun '16

Slightly outside SE23 but close by, I can’t recommend Vets 4 Pets in Bell Green enough. Friendly, helpful, sensible pricing and some nice plans to sign up to.

RachaelDunlop
21 Jun '16

Second vote for Vets4Pets. I moved to them from a local practice I wasn’t happy with when we got our puppy. I’d been with several other practices over more than twenty years with my cats, so I have a good basis for comparison. Vet4Pets are just great - caring, modern, up-to-date with new developments, convenient, great value. It helps that parking is easy as they are in the retail park. I was sceptical because I don’t like chains or national franchises. But I was wrong.

BMSE23
21 Jun '16

Mayow Vets at the SE26 end of Mayow Road have always been good. 020 8659 4496

anon64893700
21 Jun '16

Personally, I used to love Mayow Vets, but stopped using them after a couple of bad experiences. Im sure they are still good, but wouldn’t recommend them myself. (just my opinion)

CHfigaro
21 Jun '16

Neighborhood Vets on Peckham Rye has always done well by us

RachaelDunlop
21 Jun '16

Like anon64893700, I left Mayow Vets after many years with them. There were a lot of changes of staff and temporary vets after the original owner retired. I didn’t have any bad experiences as such but I missed the continuity of care with recognised vets. It may well have settled down now so I can’t say don’t go there. But ask questions about the ownership and permanent staffing. Also, they are a touch on the expensive side!

djrightmove
15 Jul '16

just wanted to say thanks for the feedback.
he went to vets4pets and they were gr8.

Jasmin_Sweeney-May
14 Aug '16

2nd vote for Mayow Vets!

AndyS
15 Aug '16

Third vote for Mayow Road. Never had anything but great care and support.

starman
17 Feb '17

Here’s an alternative to consider.

For the last year I’ve been using Scourfield Veterinary Services. They’re a mobile vet service that comes to your house. Kathryn who runs it is an outstanding vet and great with my two cats.

I use them because my cats get anxious about travelling in a box and frightened at the vet office. They cost a bit more than the usual, but as I’m without a car I had to pay for taxis anyways.

Irmani_Smallwood
30 May '18

Just wanted to share a really great experience with https://theneighbourhoodvet.co.uk/locations/crofton-park-2/ We have a 14 year old cat who hasn’t needed vet treatment for some time and took her there for a check up and vaccinations on moving into the neighbourhood a couple of years ago. The vets there are so kind and attentive - particularly Rory and Jessica - and caught her kidney disease early enough for proactive management. They do automatic claims for most insurance companies and the receptionists are lovely. So many tines I see reviews of local businesses which don’t meet expectations that I thought I’d write a nice one to balance things up a little. Rory even offered when we were away for three weeks with someone looking in every day to come fetch her and keep her there if any health issues ensued. Great vets and worth a look if you are after a local one.

Judith
30 May '18

I agree, the Neighbourhood Vet in Honor Oak Park/ Crofton Park are really good!

Cari_Hoskins
13 Jul '19

We have just had two visits to Neighbourhood vets at croften park and seen locum vets both times, so no continuity for our new puppy.
We’ve also been pushed onto their payment plans and Pet plan insurance who they are affiliated with.

But we used to use Mayow and we always had problems with incorrect billing and medication, plus the whole place needed a good refurb, but at least we had a consistent vet.

So now not sure where to go. Not keen on Vets4Pets due to the location, would like somewhere we can get to on public transport which you can’t from Honor oak. And most importantly, we would like to be able to see the same vet most of the time rather than locums.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Gypsyjolee
13 Jul '19

4th vote for Mayow

:cat: :dog:

willmorgan
14 Jul '19

We’re a client of The Neighbourhood Vet and haven’t had this problem in the 6 years I’ve been using them. You can choose the vet when making an appointment as well.

smiris
15 Jul '19

We use the Neighbourhood Vet and very happy so far!

oakr
16 Jul '19

We’re with http://www.johnhankinsonvet.co.uk/ because when we rehomed our cat he had already been with them for 5 years and we wanted the continuity. We drive but I think you can probably get a 171 or 172 down but please check that!

We might move to the neighbourhood vet as it’s a fair bit closer and we’re more comfortable now doing so, and quite frankly our cat weighs a ton in his massive cat carrier so closer the better.

Foresthillnick
17 Jul '19

The Mayow have always done us proud but the vets do change quite frequently.
We had one cat a few years ago that had an undiagnosed illness and had to be put down.
The vet came to our house (I actually picked him up and took him back) to do it so as to limit the trauma and then refused to accept payment saying it didn’t seem right as he was unable to treat him.
Since then we have always gone back to the Mayow.

Thewrongtrousers
1 Sep '20

Our local vet has now retired and has sold up to the Medivet chain. I don’t feel any loyalty to these people and it feels like a good time to review my options. In particular I would like to hear recommendations of vets who are good at geriatric cats. I know from past experience that experience and knowledge varies an awful lot.

Thewrongtrousers
1 Sep '20

It was John who i am referring to. Its Medi-Vet Corporation now. I can see there are some recommendations from last year, but do please let me know if your views have changed in any way, or remained the same

Alfie
1 Sep '20

I would highly recommend The Neighbourhood vet, the one I use is in Crofton park but they have two other clinics in East Dulwich and Penge. They’ve been brilliant with dealing with a variety of issues with my cat. They offer some other services too such as cat sitting, only downside I’d say would be that they’re a little bit more on the expensive side.

Thewrongtrousers
2 Sep '20

Thanks Alfie, that’s really helpful. I will certainly call in there and discuss things with them

oakr
2 Sep '20

Well we moved to the Neighbourhood Vet in Crofton Park earlier this year. We were thinking of moving anyway, but our last bill from the old place seemed a but stepped to me (not outrageous but more than I expected) - I should have asked for an itemised bill. We did need some medication so not sure if I am being harsh or not but it was the final push- not sure if they were medivet by then.

Have only used them once for checkup and vaccinations, this was during lockdown and Crofton Park was closed so had to go to East Dulwich one (somewhat ironic as we partly loved to get a closer vet). It was drop off outside but was reasonable price wise and the vet came out to speak to me and give some advice. Positive so far in slightly odd circumstances.

carlaT
4 Sep '20

I can highly recommend the London Animal Hospital in Clerkenwell. They are 24/7 and as they are a hospital they have all the latest high tech equipment to hand. The staff are lovely and although have been bought up by Medivet, I still like there service and are nothing but wonderful with my 14-year old terrier

Thewrongtrousers
4 Sep '20

Thanks for that Carla. It’s quite a distance though isn’t it. Is there any advantage right you can see in making that trip over and above going to a local vet ?

carlaT
4 Sep '20

CORRECTION:
So sorry that should read Camberwell (NOT Clerkenwell)
Very easy to get to from FH
Apologies

Thewrongtrousers
4 Sep '20

Ah, yes, that makes more sense.

Welshcake
6 Sep '20

I can recommend John Hankinson, too – although I haven’t been there since he retired. (If it’s the same team otherwise, though, I was very impressed.) I think it was a Medivet practice even then.

klairlouise
6 Sep '20

Vets 4 pets all the way - I have 2 pugs and wouldn’t go anywhere else!

carlaT
7 Jan '21

Hi happy New Year to you!

Wanted to let you know that we have left the Camberwell Animal Hospital as they have given the most woeful aftercare service with our pet. She has not eaten in 2-days and had terrible diarrhoea, after been prescribed antibiotics for her aliment, we have called 6-times since yesterday morning and no one has come back to us with an action plan, even though we have been promised a vet will call to let us know what to do. You’d think after spending £800 with them on Tuesday, a 5-minute call wouldn’t be to much to ask

We’re going to try The Neighbour Vets in Dulwich…fingers-crossed

Cari_Hoskins
24 Feb '21

We were with Mayow and although the vet we saw was great, Adam, though he has left now, their reception staff just could not get billing correct and we had an issue nearly every time we went with our old dog in his final years.
Now with Neighbourhood Vet at crofton park and East Dulwich (whoever has an appointment sooner) just because it’s closer and yes it’s a bit pricier and they will jump at an opportunity to prescribe something that costs! Also had different advice from different vets at the same place about vaccinations, tummy problems, how to treat a grass seed in the ear, behaviour Vs neurological problems, and skin things. So I don’t trust them much and often resort to Google!

maxrocks
24 Feb '21

We’ve been with the Medivet practise at the junction of Lordship Lane for about 9 years.
Very happy with them, lovely staff on reception and for the past 2 years we’ve had the same vet see our cat.
I think the price charged is average for a Vet and we never feel ripped off