Archived on 6/5/2022

Recommendation needed - restaurant for big family dinner, SE23 or beyond

RachaelDunlop
11 Sep '16

Planning a big family dinner for my OH’s 50th birthday. Not a party, just dinner for a large group. We need somewhere that will suit both the meat-and-two-veg contingent and provide more interesting fare, especially for the birthday boy himself. As some of the party have mobility issues, I’m looking for somewhere within 30 minutes drive, limited walking. There are some nice looking large pubs out the other side of Bromley and towards West Wickham but I don’t know if they’re any good.

Any recommendations?

anon5422159
11 Sep '16

I’ve been to The Bickley (near Chislehurst) a few times and have never had a bad meal there. It’s massive, with lots of different areas, a nice garden and friendly staff:

http://www.thebickley.com

There’s parking right outside the front door that would suit mobility impaired people, although there are some stairs inside the pub itself.

~20-25 min drive from Forest Hill

RachaelDunlop
11 Sep '16

That’s just the sort of thing I was thinking of, thanks Chris!

topofthehill
11 Sep '16

Lugana in Kent House Road caters for special events. Ideally suited to those with mobility issues - no step access, ground floor, drop off outside entrance, large disabled toilet.
Have been there twice with different friends- comments all positive. Food excellent, menu wide and varied and first class service. And I gave no ties whatsoever with the restaurant!

topofthehill
11 Sep '16

Sorry meant Lugana in Eden Park Avenue.

RachaelDunlop
11 Sep '16

Thanks @topofthehill, unfortunately Italian is a little too ‘fancy’ for the older generation in our party. I know, I know…

topofthehill
11 Sep '16

Oh dear. As a septuagenarian - sorry about spelling-if it’s wrong- I must start changing my “fancy” eating habits!

AndyS
11 Sep '16

Chapter One, Locksbottom, worth investigating. Not cheap, only been there once, but a bit ‘special’, if you know what I mean. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1934185-d1014980-Reviews-Chapter_One-Orpington_Greater_London_England.html?m=19904
Edit: Just remembered: the wine list is impressive. It should be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, judging by the prices, but very impressive!