Archived on 6/5/2022

Recycling bags

sjaw
23 Mar '22

Hi everyone. Cheeky request - apologies. Just moved to the Perry Vale area. No recycling bin and Lewisham says they can’t deliver one before mid May…! Wondering if anyone had a few clear recycling bags going spare to plug the gap as I can’t bear to throw it all in the landfill bin. Thanks so much. Sam

blushingsnail
23 Mar '22

I’ve never seen recycling bags used in Lewisham - I imagine the binmen would just assume the bags contained general waste, not recycling. And they’re not supposed to pick up anything that isn’t in a bin or recycling box.

Can you ask a neighbour if you can share theirs for a while?

teadrinker
23 Mar '22

Sorry I can’t help, but why not ask some of your neighbours if they’ll let you share theirs. One way to meet the neighbours and I’d think most would be only too happy to oblige.

Beige
23 Mar '22

Agreed. The Lewisham website says to put recycling in your bin and that they cannot recycle clear plastic bags or bin bags. I’m fairly sure they don’t want you to put it in a (non recyclable) bag.

Pea
23 Mar '22

In Wandsworth, we used to have clear recycling bags so wonder if that’s what is being referenced. I’d definitely try and ask a neighbour to use theirs, but it can’t go in a bag.

sjaw
23 Mar '22

Thanks everyone. It does say you can order transparent sacks here , though seems to be for flats above a shop. Same as when I lived in Lambeth. But maybe they wouldn’t pick 'em up outside that “context”. I’ll explore other avenues…

Marty_Mark
27 Mar '22

Hey Sam,

We have a recycling box you could have if you want, like an official Lewisham one. The people who lived at our place before we moved in didn’t have a proper recycling bin, they used that. We have a proper one now, so don’t need the box, happy to give away! We also live on the Perry Vale side of FH.

Martin

Marty_Mark
27 Mar '22

Ps: It’s an official Lewisham council recycling box, so they do pick it up. It’s not huge but was big enough for a week’s recycling of two people.

sjaw
27 Mar '22

Oh that’d be wonderful, thank you. I could collect tomorrow? Is there a private message function for sharing addresses?

ChrisR
27 Mar '22

As @Marty_Mark ia a verified member he will be able to private message you with his address, and once he has done that you will be able to reply to him.

Marty_Mark
27 Mar '22

Just messaged you!

system
4 Jun '22

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.