Archived on 6/5/2022

Recycling gone too far

starman
3 Apr '18

I’m usually supportive of actions to increase recycling rates. But not as this one is proposed. We already recycle. Almost every plastic bottle, aluminium can (and much more) find their way into our weekly blue bin. So why should we be punished for our good efforts?

Why do I consider this punishment? I choose to do a good part of my heavy and bulk shopping like bottled drinks or canned beverages online and delivered to the house. Now suddenly I will have the extra task of getting bottles and cans to a likely inconvenient recycling point in order to get my money back. And I’m a kind of healthy yet middle-aged man. How about those who don’t have that level of mobility or access?

In theory this sounds a wonderful idea. But I could see many households just not bothering for the extra work. And then it is only the companies which levy the charge which benefit.

Norway may be able to do it. But we aren’t Norway (yet).

RachaelDunlop
3 Apr '18

A little adjustment to your habits is surely not out of the question?

Since I discovered Lewisham don’t accept most plastic food wrappers and bags, I have taken to collecting them in a large shopper hung up on my kitchen door. I take it with me when I know I’m going to be passing a supermarket where such bags are collected. Thus keeps the bags out of the grey bin and ensures they are recycled. I get no cash for doing this, just a clear conscience. If there was cash involved I’d be doubly motivated

Meanwhile, I imagine the recycling pay points would scoop up the plastic bottles currently not being recycled but thrown in public bins or worse, littered on our streets and in our waterways. Do I begrudge a few pennies not coming my way for such an intervention? I do not.

Beige
3 Apr '18

I’m not sure this is correct - as it says in the article the one in Norway was a tax on unrecycled items. Seems to make much more sense and keep the incentives correct.

If it was done like this then I wouldn’t be surprised if your online delivery also collected your recycleables.

starman
3 Apr '18

For future reference Ocado will take back their plastic bags and refund you the bag charge against your bill. Plus they will take bags from any other company and do the same. Amazon Fresh only use paper bags.

In Norway the system is voluntary but if the drinks companies participate they get a reduction on taxes. With a high corporate tax rate against other European countries this is definitely an incentive. But in the UK it is soon to be 17% and we have a government perhaps less inclined to penalise industry in this matter.

The current system is convenient for all. Rather than make it less so, how about working harder to penalise those who do not recycle.

starman
3 Apr '18

I am suddenly reminded that in Canada as children we’d collect empty cans from beaches and picnic areas cause each could earn you a few coins. But you didn’t pay extra for the use of the can and point of sale.

Maybe this is a solution? I’d happily donate my bottles and cans to local kids who could augment their pocket money, or raise funds for a local community library. Or I could maintain the status quo and use their very handy and convenient blue bin system we now have.

Beige
3 Apr '18

From the BBC article:

“The entire scheme in Norway was set up by the beverage industry after the government slapped a tax on every un-recycled bottle.”

This doesn’t sound voluntary.

RachaelDunlop
3 Apr '18

I’m talking about things like bread bags, bags from frozen veg etc. They are marked ‘recycled at larger stores not kerbside’. Ocado don’t take those (I asked).

starman
3 Apr '18

Hmmm. The accompanying video “how Norway is tackling the problem of plastic waste” tells a differnt story.

Who pays for this?
The drinks companies (but it is voluntary)
If soft drink producers join our system then they pay less taxes.
Everyone wins.

starman
3 Apr '18

Good point.

Jon_Robinson
3 Apr '18

so that link says that the price of the bottle will increase, but people can get the money back if they return the bottle. People who don’t care about the extra few pence probably won’t return the bottle, but might still recycle it. People who don’t care about recycling might just accept they pay a bit more. People on low income who struggle, might decide to drink less, and lets be honest that’s nothing but a good thing. Tap water is drinkable (and there is legislation to make it safe enough to drink), so there are very few reasons why anyone in the UK should be buying bottled water. Bottled soft drinks are just mostly sugar, or sugar substitutes, and are inherently bad for your health anyway, and alcoholic drinks are not good for you in the long run. so that’s a win win (imo).

It depends on how easy it is to get the extra money back, and how much it is. for me, a few pence might not be worth it, but 10p or more probably would, I think I’d just collect them somewhere, and take to a refund place when passing, or when I’ve got sufficient. obviously I wouldn’t make a special journey, as the cost of getting there would probably outweigh the return value (depending on many factors).

Sgc
3 Apr '18

Another potential positive externality is that groups such as those sleeping rough can make some money collecting bottles and returning them. In Germany you do often see them going through bins looking for bottles. Again if have time and ability then they it means more is recycled and they are able to get some pennies. Bottles around €0.25 per bottle in Germany. However having said that a friend in Sweden has commented how a homeless man does beg right by his nearest bottle collection station, which he did find a bit disconcerting. Clearly he knows then people will have change on them… So that is step too far perhaps.

starman
3 Apr '18

I wonder if curb side collection would cease altogether. At least for plastic bottles and aluminium cans.

GillB
4 Apr '18

The council will be rubbing their hands with glee if that happens, as they won’t be responsible for collecting them from the kerbside :grimacing: the whole idea of having recycling bins is to make it easy for the public to recycle.
I thought they were bringing the return scheme in for bottles or cans bought while out and about.
I do remember when I was a child that we used to return empty bottles for money, but we didn’t have the recycling that we have now as well.

appletree
4 Apr '18

This works really well in the Netherlands and has as long as I can remember. You get the money back when you return the bottles to a supermarket. Because money is returned, it means someone will return them for the money even if the purchaser doesn’t. More is recycled and less ends up in landfill.

RachaelDunlop
4 Apr '18

There’s a good chance that bottles and cans that are littered will be collected by someone who wants the money, and that has to be a good thing too.

anon30031319
4 Apr '18

Spot on. And schemes like Refill London are a great way to encourage people away from this practice.

starman
4 Apr '18

I thought this scheme was about recycling. Missed the other bits.

Brett
5 Apr '18

Quite but what we did have was bottle reuse, albeit on a limited range, which is even better. Haven’t seen it mentioned in this scheme but would be a great idea IMO.