Archived on 6/5/2022

Reporting issues on the streets

anon64893700
24 Aug '16

Over the past few days I have really bombarded Lewisham Council with issues I have seen on my walks. While there is Fix My Street to use too, sometimes the process is a bit long winded, and it is easier to take a snap, and send it with a location to @LewishamCouncil on Twitter (if you use it)

They have recently become a lot better at dealing with certain issues, like commercial or household waste, dumped items etc. Once upon a time they would just reply with a phone number to call, but I am happy to say they now reply with a job number and confirmation it has been reported.

So the point of this post was actually just to gauge how many people on here take the time to report things when they see something wrong. Be it to Lewisham, the police or other authorities.
Obviously we can’t all be spending our days contacting people to get things in the community fixed, but just curious as to who out there participates :slight_smile:

CHfigaro
24 Aug '16

I’ve rung the police a couple of times when the hoodlums of HOP are behaving antisocially late at night on my street!

anon64893700
24 Aug '16

I’m always up for calling the police about things that need urgent attention. Good on you @CHfigaro

CHfigaro
24 Aug '16

Don’t mind noise until 11 (though disruptive to those with young children including us) but running around the street screaming at 2am is not cool!

anon64893700
24 Aug '16

Totally agree with that. Thankfully we don’t get too much of that going on these days, other than late night visitors to the house up the road, which has one guy with a VERY powerful 1000cc car which is VERY fast (in his sorry little mind)

Daffodil
24 Aug '16

Yes I do report issues quite often, but I always do it via the Fix My Street app on my phone. If I do it on the spot it’s very easy. The council usually respond quite quickly. Flytipping is a real bugbear of mine!

(I also hate it when people pile rubbish in their front gardens but there’s nothing that can be done about that. Also people leaving bin bags out to be ripped apart by foxes and rats … Gross).

Daffodil
24 Aug '16

Oh yes and I also report abandoned cars. It’s surprising when there is a shortage of parking how no-one seems to care about abandoned cars clogging up the roads! There was a car at the other end of my street without number plates, had been left for months, so phoned up and it was removed. One extra parking spot for everyone.

You can check number plates online if you aren’t sure if a car had been abandoned or not.

anon64893700
25 Aug '16

Nice work @Daffodil, especially re the abandoned cars. Only takes a few minutes with things like that
Fix my street is a great little app, just so bit too long winded if I’m out with the dogs. But I do use it still when I can.

1 of the 2 issues I reported yesterday was sorted.

Brett
25 Aug '16

I agree that Fix My Street is a good app (and website) and it usually gets a response. Have found it is not so good re recurring issues, e.g. fly tipping at a particular place, as the council do not monitor replies just the original instance. It is good to know that they now respond on Twitter.

anon64893700
25 Aug '16

With direct on Twitter, there is a paper trail of what has been said, and as they reply, it is nice and official should anything happen. As they appear to respond well now, direct is my preferred method, although lacks letting others know what you have done. Fix my street wins hands up there.

Brett
25 Aug '16

Agreed and since there is a map of issues to be found on Fix My Street I think it is still my first preference from the outset. It is good to know that I can follow up with a tweet now.