Archived on 6/5/2022

Restore our faith in Chinese takeaway?!

Jessie
23 Jan '21

Looking for recommendations of local Chinese (or Thai or Asian) takeaway options - had a very average one last night! Thanks in advance!

Pea
23 Jan '21

We’re quite fussy about our Asian takeaways (my husband grew up in Asia) and LOVE Fortune Inn on Dartmouth road. Definitely the best Chinese we’ve had and inexpensive.

We are also completely obsessed at the moment with Saigon takeaway in Catford - amazing Vietnamese if that’s your thing. Just don’t forget to add the dressing they send with it all otherwise might be quite bland - they obviously can’t add this to the food or it would go soggy en-route.

Jessie
23 Jan '21

Amazing, thanks @Pea ! Will give those a try! How do you order Fortune? I’ve googled and can’t see a website. Are they on Deliveroo or just eat?

HillLife
23 Jan '21

Second this! Although they ditched us at the beginning of lockdown last year they have since reopened. Their last hygiene rating was 5 too.

Our alternative chinese is EE house on Lordship Lane which has a hygiene rating of 4.

promofaux
23 Jan '21

I used to love EE house, but I’ve stopped ordering from them. Our last 2 orders have taken nearly 2 hours to arrive! Foods great though.

ThorNogson
23 Jan '21

We also regularly use Fortune - very happy with their friendly service and food. Not sure they use Deliveroo etc? I think they are a bit old school- Ie keep a menu handy at home, phone in your order, they deliver, and we pay cash when it arrives. Usually about 40 minutes but they always give you an idea when you call.

Pea
23 Jan '21

They are old school. Cash only, phone them up. Their menu is fairly standard so if you have a normal dish you order from a Chinese I’m sure they’ll have it.

Nikoletta_Christou
23 Jan '21

We tried to order from Fortune last night but there was a Voice message saying they are closed for the duration of this lockdown. Anyone ordered from there recently?

ChrisR
23 Jan '21

For Thai I would recommend Matoom on London Road opposite Sainsbury’s. You can order for collection or delivery.

oakr
23 Jan '21

We’ve always quite liked Hibagon Sushi in Sydenham, and Matoom as recommended above.

Never had take-away from https://www.sushigardenrestaurants.com/ in Forest Hill, but we loved eating in there.

Appreciate that’s two Japanese and one Thai and no Chinese takeway though - am looking forward to those as would love to have some also!

Londondrz
23 Jan '21

Tse was always a go to Chinese for us. We at there last year under the new owners and it was still good. Pricey though.

Anotherjohn
23 Jan '21

Me too!!!

Sgc
23 Jan '21

Agree hibagon is good. Close by so would ring and collect, just feel bad the bento box uses so much plastic.
Highly recommend the Poke bowls from Sushi garden!! Whatever dressing/sauce they use is great. Was my treat after doing a library shift.
Notice now thinking about it that I never had a good Chinese locally!

Fran_487
23 Jan '21

Sushi Garden has basically gotten me through lockdown and I’m fairly sure they now roll their eyes when my regular order comes in… but they also called me to apologise for having run out of something once, offering a really generous replacement at no extra cost, so they are my favourite local delivery option by far!

ForestHull
24 Jan '21

Yep - sadly there’s a sign in the window, Fortune is closed for the duration of the national lockdown :frowning:

HillLife
24 Jan '21

Excuse my ignorance but I can’t understand how and why they wouldn’t operate during the lockdown…

se23blue
24 Jan '21

Could it have something to do with Covid19 ? Under these restrictions people are asked to only leave home for limited reasons such as shopping, going to work, seeking medical assistance or avoiding domestic abuse.

HillLife
24 Jan '21

No because food takeaways and deliveries can still operate under Government guidelines. And I’d assume a hospitality service like this would very much depend on income at the moment. Unless they are taking advantage of the furlough system…

oakr
24 Jan '21

Well we don’t know their circumstances, maybe they are high risk, maybe they don’t think it’s safe or financially viable for them and they are stopping or concentrating on something else, maybe they need to look after relatives elsewhere, maybe something else - who knows.

Hopefully they will be back in the not too distant future and can bounce back successfully in what is an incredibly difficult time for most local businesses.

Flora_Noris
25 Jan '21

I recently discovered Jin Jiang in Deptford, but deliveries are available via Deliveroo to Honor Oak, not sure further south though. Their food is amazing and is my new go to Chinese.

jonfrewin
25 Jan '21

We can heartily recommend 148 Chinese on Lordship Lane. It’s cash on delivery only, but the food is excellent.

hurljy
25 Jan '21

We’ve tried a few different Chinese takeaways over the years and now always use Fu House on Dartmouth rd, available through Deliveroo. The food is consistently excellent and it has a great menu selection too!

JohnH1
25 Jan '21

Ordered direct from Fu House and it was cheaper than via Deliveroo, plus the deliveryman had a mobile cardreader with him for payment. Meal that got delivered was good but the seaweed was missing from the starters so that was a bit of a disappointment

seperationsunday
28 Jan '21

Fu House on Dartmouth Road. Incredible!

i_love_snacks
29 Jan '21

Sushi Garden - incredible sushi, they’re just absolutely lovely in there. It’s not as cheap as some places but you get what you pay for right? Collection is 10% and they come outside to meet you with your food and contactless payment (or pay online)

starman
29 Jan '21

We had a great takeaway from there last night. Amazing dry ribs. Thought there kung pao could use a bit more heat.

GotDeletedOnce
29 Jan '21

Very Nice in Catford. Cash on delivery but the best no thrills Chinese takeaway I’ve found so far. The chicken balls are :ok_hand:

Can’t recommend the house special fried rice enough from Fu House as well.

BrightStar
30 Jan '21

Fu House and recently Oriental Star for us :))
Just a shame I can’t get hold of proper roast duck around here

fran
13 Mar '21

Ok we are having a Chinese tonight and it will be the first Chinese meal I’ve eaten in 8 years (apart from when I was in China :grinning:). As Fortune Inn still seems to be closed we are going to go with Fu House. But I literally have no idea what to order. Any recommendations?

Pea
13 Mar '21

Fortune Inn has reopened. We had it last night :tada:

fran
13 Mar '21

Ah great to know! Do they have a website?

Eva
13 Mar '21

We had it last night too!

No website, but there are photos of the menu here: https://www.zomato.com/london/fortune-inn-forest-hill/menu

Then you have to call and it’s cash on delivery only.

It was great!

Used to get Fu House but found it always came either cold or the packaging had leaked :frowning:

Pea
1 Jan '22

To add to the chat here we’ve had Fu House a few times now as couldn’t be bothered to go and get cash on a cold night for Fortune Inn. More authentic Chinese Sichuan dishes so it’s a nice change as Fortune Inn is more of your traditional western take on Chinese food. Good for a change although will still order from Fortune Inn too.

We’re also big fans of Saigon foods in Catford who deliver a great Vietnamese.

Clair
1 Jan '22

We use golden city 145 stanstead rd near fire station. After Tse’s were becoming a joke and the chief wouldn’t communicate to the waitresses/front of house how long our delayed collections would be after it was under new management.
Have been very happy with Golden City, although you do need cash for collection. Very friendly man.

wattsicle
2 Jan '22

We really like Lucky Family on Catford Hill for our chinese takeaway. Or Matoom in Forest Hill for Thai. X

mountaineer
2 Jan '22

Tea House in Deptford / New Cross is very good. Particularly recommend the roast pork and duck. Always managed to get them to deliver to Forest Hill on Deliveroo.

Welshcake
2 Jan '22

Another vote for Fu House, and Golden Kitchen is another go-to.

DevonishForester
3 Jan '22

Can’t help thinking that some of these establishments would get more business if they acepted card payments.

klairlouise
3 Jan '22

Best chinese I’ve ever had is Tai Won Mein in catford.
They use justeat :slight_smile: :grin: