Archived on 6/5/2022

Fly tipping and littering

anon27836993
7 Aug '20

Walking in parks and seeing people dump rubbish randomly is getting on my wick!!

How hard is it to use a bin? Also fly tipping in Ballina street is a mess have some respect to the guilty parties just why?? Sorry but seems either I am being over the top of being sensitive about it or also care about my community alongside others. My anger is aimed at the selfish sods everywhere there I said it I tried not to blow my top… guilty has charged the inner Caren just arrived the hulk of all Caren’s not the good ones the diva ones meh!! :woman_facepalming:t3:

ChrisR
7 Aug '20

Just seen this post from Lewisham Council:

ForestHull
7 Aug '20

I’ve been using that app for a few years, and it really is effective for reporting fly-tips, graffiti and various other street issues. Normally things get fixed within one or two days :slight_smile:

John_Wilson
7 Aug '20

Can we set up a repeat reminder. The Signal leaves all their rubbish on the street - often for days and the start of Devonshire Road (after 205 turn) is used for flytipping

clausy
7 Aug '20

Agreed - I reported my lost wardrobe and they cleared it in a couple of days - quite impressive.

ChrisR
7 Aug '20

Perhaps if you do have to report their rubbish regularly the penny will eventually drop in the Town Hall and they take it up with the Signal! (miracles apparently do occasionally happen!! :laughing:)

anon27836993
30 Oct '20

I have reported similar problem via FixMyStreet app for Ballina Street twice nothing as been done nearly a month now.
Bin men came the other day passed did all the rubbish around it made no sense. I reported this again via app nothing. Trying to get through to council to complain is well need…I say anymore. It an obstacle course sometimes to get through and sickly.

chamonix
30 Oct '20

Fix my street app has been good in the past (although the design is awful) but I’m having the same issue with the council not picking up fly-tipping. It’s not the bin men’s responsibility to remove it and a lot is caused by local construction companies, then it just becomes a magnet for everyone else. Lewisham council is the worst I’ve had to deal with, and the use of covid as an excuse is wearing thin.

marymck
30 Oct '20

Our street cleaner here on Kirkdale is a bit of an unsung hero. He’s very thorough and clearly takes a pride in doing his best.

The bin men are variable, but really it’s a thankless task and they have to cope with some pretty horrid stuff.

I usually find I get a quick response via Fix My Street on dumped items. There’s a repeat offender near me who dumps their unwanted furniture etc at the top of Hassocks Close. A couple of days ago I was delighted to see that they’d left their address labels along with the plastic chair and packaging they’d left strewn across and restricting access on the pavement. I reported it and the rubbish was cleared the next day, but put straight in the crusher. So no doubt they’ll do it again.

If someone runs around with a shovel after these people, and there are no penalties, our neighbouhoods get treated like shanty towns.

chamonix
2 Nov '20

Discovered a better app than fix my street and one lewisham in promoting on their site.

SophieDavis
3 Nov '20

Hi all,

I’d also encourage people to report via FixMyStreet but if you don’t have the app, or haven’t seen any change, please feel free to also email me at cllr_sophie.davis@lewisham.gov.uk and I’ll get in touch with our cleansing team (or Glendale if this relates to some of our parks).

Please also bear in mind that our officers have been under huge pressure as a result of COVID and the need to deliver additional services.

Thanks,
Sophie

ChrisR
3 Nov '20

But the council website advises us to use Love Lewisham Clean Streets website/app and has a link to it as per my post above on August 7th!

chamonix
4 Nov '20

Hi Sophie,

As @ChrisR points out lewisham council appears to be now using lovecleanstreets app. They probably feed into the same database but FixMyStreet is a little outdated and doesn’t appear to be being updated.

I’ve used both recently on 4 occasions over the last month to try and get a large amount of fly-tipping removed from the junction of Waldram park road and Sunderland road that I see ever growing on my walks. Would be great if you could have a word with the local clean team.

Thanks

ForestHull
4 Nov '20

For anyone without a smartphone, you can also report things directly to Lewisham via their website:

Note you can also report things without creating an account if necessary, though you won’t get updates on any action taken.

SophieDavis
5 Nov '20

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I went back to clarify with officers. You can use both apps (Fix my street or Love Clean Streets/ Love Lewisham (the latter being the branded version of Love Clean Streets)) although the cleansing team have indicated that they prefer Love Clean Streets/ Love Lewisham, as reports come in to them more quickly. As @ForestHull says, you can also report via the website.

My main point was to say that, although I’d encourage you to report via these channels first, if you don’t see any progress, then please feel free us to email us (councillors) and we’ll follow up.

Hope that’s clearer.

Sophie