Archived on 6/5/2022

Save the Ravensbourne Arms

cakebaker12
14 Oct '21

Sister Midnight, a community benefit society are trying to buy the Ravensbourne Arms as a community pub, just as the Ivy House in Nunhead, shares start at £100, although it is possible to buy £25 shares for low income households.
I enclose details of the campaign and the crowdfunder.

Please do support us and stop another pub being developed into luxury flats.

HannahM
14 Oct '21

I thought it had already been converted in to flats? I know it has been closed for some time.

cakebaker12
14 Oct '21

Hello,
the top floor has been converted the pub has not, the plan is to buy the whole building including the existing flats and keeps these tenanted but offer rents below market value to the residents. Lewisham council has stopped the developer from developing the rest of the building as a block of flats, however if the building stays derelict, the developer can reapply for planning permission. The plan is to stop this and turn the building back into a pub with live music, a great kitchen and above all a community meeting point.

HannahM
14 Oct '21

Ahh I see. It was a nice pub and a good building. I not sure the music venue idea will work with flats above, even if the rents are low.

The Ivy House has flats but If I recall they are let to staff at a reduced rate.

cakebaker12
14 Oct '21

thank you for your input, letting the flats to staff may be an option, just a couple of points , the flats would be soundproofed and tenants would be fully aware of the situation and would be offered favourable rent terms. The Constitutional in Catford had flats which were not soundproofed and the Fox and Firkin and many other venues also have flats above the premises. Also music would not be played every night. I hope that information helps