Archived on 6/5/2022

Scaffold collapse Ebsworth St

anon64893700
12 Oct '16

Wow, just been sent these pictures of a scaffold collapse on Ebsworth St.
Looks like @anon5422159 car might have taken a bit of a beating. :frowning:
Hope there are no injuries.

Thanks to @anon65350507 for the pictures and heads up

RachaelDunlop
12 Oct '16

God, that’s scary! Glad no one hurt, it could so easily have caused a fatality.

anon5422159
12 Oct '16

[removed by author]

Londondrz
12 Oct '16

Eek!! Glad there were no injuries. Time for a techie car Chris?

anon5422159
12 Oct '16

[removed by author]

Londondrz
12 Oct '16

BMW i3. Great car, looks very bland but has stunning acceleration. I always had you down as an Evo man myself! :grin:

Londondrz
12 Oct '16

BTW, how the heck did that fall over, doesn’t look very windy out there.

Liz_Hall
12 Oct '16

I loved our little car :sob: Although obviously good news that no one was hurt!

Londondrz
12 Oct '16

Gutted for you, it may polish out, you never know.

Emily
12 Oct '16

Which company was it? Will know to avoid!

Dave
12 Oct '16

Glad nobody was hurt. Sorry to hear about the car.

Just for interest’s sake, which loft company was responsible for the scaffolding?

Pauline
12 Oct '16

Really glad no one was hurt

@anon5422159 & @Liz_Hall sorry to hear about your car :slightly_frowning_face:

anon64893700
12 Oct '16

Scaffolding was based on mud by all accounts. Rain and loading it up with new materials sounds like might be the cause.

anon64893700
12 Oct '16

Rain, scaffolding on dirt and new materials being loaded on it (wood)

anon64893700
12 Oct '16

This is in not way suggesting the loft company is to blame, but they are doing a stella job cleaning up.
Last pic shows the poor Jazz.
Other image is of Mini being moved incase scaffolding collapses further.

system
12 Oct '16

Article in NewsShopper

anon5422159
12 Oct '16

[removed by author]

Londondrz
12 Oct '16

That guys boots are going to scratch your car Chris!

Philip
12 Oct '16

I was walking nearby (on Garthorne Rd) not long after this had happened (police had just arrived). Scary!

anon64893700
12 Oct '16

Bit of T-Cut and a new screen, it will be fine.

Stephen
12 Oct '16

As luck would have it I’m selling my Golf GTi, 2002/52 reg, still runs brilliantly, fully serviced by local VW experts in Sydenham, kept it in tip-top running condition, only changing because I have a newborn and have had to upgrade to something bigger to fit our stupidly oversized pram in, should do you through until your Tesla arrives. Let me know if interested :slight_smile:

anon5422159
12 Oct '16

[removed by author]

Baboonery
12 Oct '16

Bloody hell, Chris, the lengths you’ll go to to generate content for the forum :smiling_imp:

Seriously, bad luck. There was an accident at a loft conversion on Cranston road a few weeks back - looked like a scaffolding thing. Air ambulance was called…

mrcee
12 Oct '16

how do you plan to charge the model 3? the nearest charging point is sainsburys car park and no superchargers this side of the river?

mrcee
12 Oct '16

its normally the scaffolding company that puts up the scaffolding rather than the loft company therefore its better to be aware of the scaffolding company in this instance

anon5422159
12 Oct '16

A post was split to a new topic: Practicality of electric cars in SE23?

Brett
12 Oct '16

Yes it is but I would expect the scaffolding company to be a supplier to the loft company - they chose them. Caveat emptor. Hope the loft company are up to date with their PI.

mrcee
12 Oct '16

is the root cause the loft company or the scaffolding company?

Brett
12 Oct '16

Who knows? But the customer should only have to deal with the loft company IMHO. Regardless, a bit crap for @anon5422159, shame this has happened to his car.

mrcee
12 Oct '16

agree, customer should only deal with loft company; just think they do not need to be named in this thread.

AndyS
12 Oct '16

“My other car is a scaffolding lorry.”

Emily
12 Oct '16

The loft company employs the scaffolding company, therefore they are responsible for their workmanship and adherence to health and safety. This is a serious situation, someone could easily have been killed and I for one would like to know which loft companies aren’t keeping a check on who they hire.

mrcee
12 Oct '16

so should all retailers that sold a samsung galaxy note now be held responsible for the issues with the phone? as surely by this logic they would have needed to take responsibility for the workmanship.

it is a serious issue however if you only name the loft company whats the benefit for other users of the forum; given many builders may use a particular scaffolding company.

surely it makes more sense to name the scaffolding company?

AndyS
12 Oct '16

Yes.

Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must take any claim to the retailer.

See http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

oakr
12 Oct '16

As no-one actually knows the cause of this we are probably best off waiting to see what the investigation reveals before we start naming and shaming.

anon64893700
13 Oct '16

Totally agree.

Emily
13 Oct '16

“so should all retailers that sold a samsung galaxy note now be held responsible for the issues with the phone? as surely by this logic they would have needed to take responsibility for the workmanship”

Probably legally yes but even theoretically this isn’t really the same argument at all.

My mum and daughter walked past less than 10 minutes before the collapse. I hope the police prosecute and also that anyone else using the same company gets to find out which loft company it is so they can check the safety of their scaffolding if nothing else.

Emily
13 Oct '16

Indeed part of the problem with the Galaxy phone was that they denied a problem and more people had their phones catch fire - which could have been avoided if people had known to be careful and check for issues

AndyS
13 Oct '16

I’m starting make educated guesses now but I reckon that, as far as compensation goes, everything will depend on who the contract was with. If the loft conversion company had a ‘do it all’ arrangement then the scaffolding company is their subcontractor so the builders will be the first port of call. They can then go after the scaffolders.

If the builders said “We usually use these scaffolding guys but you can ask them and pay them yourself,” then you go directly to the scaffolders.

As far as a prosecution under health and safety law is concerned, if there was negligence then it’s likely it will be them that gets done. But we just don’t know. Did the building firm do anything they shouldn’t have done? E.g., put too much heavy material on it? Overload the winch? Were the brackets faulty? Was there a localised tornado that nobody noticed?

Ciel81
13 Oct '16

well, all you need to do is walk by to see what company it is. I don’t think in this instance it’s ‘naming and shaming’ when scaffolding collapses on a public residential street, crushing cars and endangering people. Glad they are doing their best to clean it all up though and, of course, that no one was hurt!

AndyS
13 Oct '16

Having posted a random photo of a scaffolding lorry further up this thread the other day - vehicle reg L777RAD - I was somewhat spooked to see this scaffolding lorry outside my client’s City office at lunch - vehicle reg P777RAD.

RachaelDunlop
13 Oct '16

Same company? Presumably they registered the fleet all at once and got a sequence of plates.

anon64893700
13 Oct '16

Buying plates which make TRAD , just as Coventry have all theirs as COV

AndyS
14 Oct '16

Pimlico Plumbers are the masters at this, though. The fact that it’s an area ripe for schoolboy humour obviously helps!

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/about-us/corporate-identity/number-plates

anon64893700
14 Oct '16

Noticed recently that a lot of their plates have reverted back to their legal format. Probably pushed their luck too far now.

Nick_Wilson_Young
14 Oct '16

Having had a year of horrible stress from Central London Lofts, during which we’ve found a series of other pissed off clients, I have no problem with naming them on this thread. Good luck making any claim against them.

anon5422159
14 Oct '16

The following is standard advice, and not intended to cast aspersions on any recent poster:

It’s best practice to check the profile of the person making the review. Are they verified? If not, have they been active in the forum, in other areas and topics, before posting the review? A first time user who reviews a company may not be a local resident, but may represent the company or its competition. While this does not mean the review is not genuine, it does call into question the reliability of the recommendation.

Nick_Wilson_Young
15 Oct '16

Lived in se23 since 2011. Active on mayow park and Blythe hill and se23 mums fb groups if anyone wants to check.

anon5422159
15 Oct '16

Regarding my car, the situation has now been settled, and in good time.

Central London Lofts were very responsive and sincere, and we are not out of pocket. In fact, along with a generous settlement we received a personal visit from Barry, a manager at CLL, hand delivering wine and flowers and an apology (even though at this stage it was not clear that CLL were directly to blame for the accident).

When we first saw him, on the day of the incident, Barry was genuinely upset and affected by what had happened - he clearly cares about the safety of his builders, and he was quick to attend the scene and deal with the aftermath. And as I mentioned above, resolved completely to my satisfaction.

Nick_Wilson_Young
15 Oct '16

That’s good news. Very different from our experience of them and the experience of other clients we have been contacted by or who post about them on the regular threads re lofts on the fb group se23mums. But this was a more spectacular and very public failure. If anyone else on here has had a less happy experience with Central London Lofts do contact me via fb or LinkedIn.

Cari_Hoskins
25 Oct '16

Apparently this happened incentral London around Chelsea years ago but this time it was scaffolding on the front of 6 houses in a row and the scaffold was screwed into the front walls as well, which collapsed with the scaffold! Can you imagine if all our houses lost their front wall!

Sorry about the car Chris, poor thing!

The new scaffolding is now up and they were loading more wood onto it yesterday, very nerve-wracking! I can’t walk passed it anymore, I cross the road just in case!