Archived on 6/5/2022

Seeking recommendation for uPVC windows

Beige
25 Sep '17

Can anyone recommend someone they have had a positive experience with?

GillB
27 Sep '17

We had ours fitted by Crystal windows & so have quite a few of our neighbours. We were all happy & the price was reasonable, but that was back in 2001, so probably not much help now :frowning:

Pea
11 Aug '18

Hello.

We currently have a very old UPVC window at the front of our property. The main window is drafty and therefore we think let’s in noise as seals have gone.

We’re on a road that’s a cut through at peak times and we’re outside a speedbump meaning we get lots of ‘thuds’ as cars go too fast over it/ bus goes past.

Does anyone have any experience of ‘noise reduction glass’ that some firms sell? Apparently it has a clear film on the front which pushes away sound, and the 2 panes of glass are different thickness, which again stops the noise penetrating (apparently). I don’t believe our current 20+ year UPVC does much.

Finally, does anyone have any recommended companies to contact to get a quote from? I looked at changing the widows to wood but this was cost prohibitive which is a shame as he product seemed good.

Pea
13 Aug '18

If anyone can recommend any companies that would be great. Just adding this comment to bring it back up to the top :grimacing:

anon5422159
13 Aug '18

Gentle nudge - please avoid bumping topics unless adding new info

Pea
13 Aug '18

Ah sorry. Thanks for letting me know though.

jonfrewin
14 Aug '18

We’ve had a great experience getting some uPVC windows replaced with timber sash windows by a company called the Window Clinic in Croydon - http://www.windowclinic.co.uk/contact/. We opted for a timber sash over PVC because the price difference was not that significant.

Pea
14 Aug '18

Thank you for this. Did you use them to reduce sound or just because you wanted to have wood rather than plastic? How did you find them if for noise reduction?

jonfrewin
14 Aug '18

Our double glazed windows were already pretty good for noise reduction, though I’d say the new windows are slightly better. Graham at the Window Clinic is very helpful, and will I’m sure be able to advise you on the best way to proceed with respect to noise reduction.

Pea
14 Nov '18

We actually ordered from Window Clinic and the windows are due to arrive in a couple of weeks. Very impressed with Graham and will report back once they are installed.

Pea
29 Nov '18

Ordered new window from Window Clinic. Fantastic service from start to end. Very competitively priced and a Which Recommended Trader. Would definitely recommend.

ThorNogson
29 Nov '18

just wondered if the road traffic/speed bump sound reduction is as good as you had hoped for? We’re considering getting secondary glazing over existing double glazing for improving sound proofing.

Pea
29 Nov '18

I think secondary glazing is meant to be much better than just single glazing. However we couldn’t do this as we already had shutters so wouldn’t have worked.

It has worked. It doesn’t stop noise totally but I can hear a good reduction- we’ve got the acoustic glass in which is a bit extra but is said to deflect noise and vibration :slightly_smiling_face:

Sherwood
29 Nov '18

Secondary glazing is much better for noise reduction as the gap between the two panes of glass is much larger.

divya_m
29 Nov '18

Are there any downsides to secondary glazing? How easy is it to open windows for ventilation? We are looking at secondary glazing period sash windows to reduce road noise. Is this the best option for sash windows, does anyone know?

divya_m
30 Apr '19

Hi @ThorNogson Have you looked into secondary glazing since your last post? We are in the same boat trying to reduce road noise, so I’m looking for recommendations for any fitters/companies that do secondary glazing.

ThorNogson
30 Apr '19

Sorry no- we might get this done but has not yet reached the top of the to do list!

Vilma
13 Aug '19

Hi there,

We are looking for recommendations regarding replacement of old aluminium Upvc windows having read your post are you able to recommend the windows clinic. We are wanting noise reduction due to living on a busy road, is the window clinic a good company to go to. Look forward to hearing from you regarding your thoughts.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Pea
13 Aug '19

I’m happy with their product. They were also a ‘WHICH Trusted trader’. However I wouldn’t say the noise reduction has been as good as I was hoping. I believe timber is better for that but also very expensive. We were looking at 9k for one window vs 2.5k. It’s a bit window though.

Hope that helps.

Vilma
13 Aug '19

Hi there,

Thank you for your your speedy response, and your feedback very much appreciated. We are on a busy road just moved in, its going to be our forever home but the current double glazing just doesn’t work but importantly they are very old dreading the winter. Budget just doesn’t allow us to go for timber due to the price tags it comes with. We have so much work ahead of us, whilst l am on work ahead are you able to recommend a builder that you have used.
Any help would be appreciated thank you again.

Many thanks!

Emak5
13 Aug '19

Another thumbs up for the Window Clinic :+1:
Very happy with the work they did for me.

Vilma
13 Aug '19

Hi there,

Thank you for your speedy response very much appreciated. Can l ask the type of windows you have installed? How is the noise reduction? looking for quality workmanship also wanting not having to hear every little noise/ sound from the road which may have an impact on us suffering from sleep deprivation when we sort out the bedrooms we have recently just moved in, a matter of a couple of months. So eager to get the windows sorted.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!