Archived on 6/5/2022

Share your favourite takeaway!

fran
23 Jan '21

Getting a takeaway on a Saturday night is the highlight of my week at the moment. Let’s use this for celebrating the best takeaways (restaurants and dishes) in our area.

Here’s mine:

Thai from Matoom. The best dish is the aubergine salad! Also love the corn fritters. And my husband says the lamb massaman is one of the best ever.

Fried chicken from Coq Fighters. The original is the best! But the honey ginger is also amazing. In Brockley but delivers to HOP.

Pizza from Pizzarte. My kids favourite! Love all the ones I’ve had so far.

anon5422159
23 Jan '21

The 100-hour marinated shoulder of lamb with beetroot rice from Babur (https://order.babur.info/)

Rob
23 Jan '21

The smoked cheese on our pizza from BoNA is still giving me cheese dreams :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pockets
23 Jan '21

Big Cheeks Thai in Forest Hill is truly excellent!
Highly recommend the Moo Ping starter and the Chicken Massaman Curry

clausy
24 Jan '21

That’s a great looking Halal recipe. I’ll have to try that. I’m also a fan of Babur.

Agree Matoom is also consistently excellent.

divya_m
24 Jan '21

Gurkha’s in Sydenham is our favourite for Indian food delivery.

fran
24 Jan '21

We always get Babur to go for our standard curry (chicken shashlik and the lamb/honey dish) plus lots of veggie sides). What would you recommend from Gurkha?

fran
24 Jan '21

I’ve eaten in the restaurant but never got a takeaway from the posh Babur? Does it work as a takeaway? I feel like I’m going to be disappointed if it’s not as good as the restaurant.

oakr
24 Jan '21

It’s really good. It was collection only before, not sure now. Since we had kids and found it more difficult to eat there in the evenings we used it quite a bit.

Don’t get me wrong I’d rather eat there but the food has always been good (we live 2 minutes walk from it so in fairness doesn’t take long to get out of the kitchen to our plates).

squashst
24 Jan '21

The posh Babur is very much an upmarket takeaway with the food in vacuum packed containers and (which I generally have to cut into!). The take away menu covers approximately half of the dine in menu. I would say its very close in quality to restaurant. They even do some of their cocktails (though I assume this has had to stop with latest lockdown). Of course it comes at a premium price - but it is very good.

Mind I enjoy the “traditional” Babur to Go as well - hits the spot as well.

jonfrewin
25 Jan '21

Babur takeaway from the main restaurant works surprisingly well. We’re also big fans of Big Cheeks Thai. And last night we had a wonderful meal from Sushi Garden, which also travelled really well.

fran
25 Jan '21

Ooh sushi. Any recommendations of what to order from Sushi Garden?

Beige
25 Jan '21

If you live close enough (I know some places in SE23 are) then I would recommend Ganapati for Indian. It’s a restaurant in Peckham that opened a separate takeaway kitchen.

CHfigaro
25 Jan '21

Agree with some mentioned already but I will add in

Rise burgers are delicious

Brockley’s Rock

Nonna Maria is a fantastic addition to the area - better pizzas will be hard to find (if you like proper Italian style pizza)

Le Querce was one reason we moved here and remains a real gem

Nomis46
25 Jan '21

Would second Rise Burgers!

fran
25 Jan '21

Fantastic. I have not tried Nonna Maria pizza but I will. I definitely prefer a traditional Italian pizza vs sourdough at the moment.
Does la Querce do takeaway?

fran
25 Jan '21

One of my lockdown #1 highlights was eating rise burgers on Blythe hill on a gorgeous summer evening.

fran
25 Jan '21

Oh sounds good. I am very much the Peckham side of se23. Any recommendations of what to order?

Beige
25 Jan '21

I really like the biriyani and their paratha is known for being excellent - it travels ok (not perfectly though). I don’t think I have ordered from their current menu, but I have only ever had one dish there which I wasn’t totally happy with, and I must have eaten their cooking 40 times.

Nonna maria is sourdough, which I thought was traditional. I’ve never been completely sure though - I asked a New Yorker friend why they don’t have sourdough there and she guessed it was because people wouldn’t like pizza to be f***ed with. La Cucina is a decent thinner crust pizza.

CHfigaro
25 Jan '21

If you go to Naples, where pizza was invented, that’s the style of pizza you’ll get at Nonna Maria

CHfigaro
25 Jan '21

They do!

fran
25 Jan '21

Well shows how much I know about pizza :grinning::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza: will give it a go.
Think once life is back to normal we need a pizza festival in se23 so I can try all the pizzas in the local area at the same time and rank them accordingly.

jonfrewin
26 Jan '21

Everything we’ve had at Sushi Garden has been great. We particularly enjoy a yaki soba noodle dish. My daughter loves chicken katsu curry, and the dumplings and sushi that we ordered travelled fine, and are always consistently good.

CHfigaro
26 Jan '21

As with all food - it’s personal preference

I know some people love the Chandos pizzas; I find them inedible

But, overall we are lucky to have a great selection of takeaways locally

And, since the pandemic, the options available on Deliveroo and Uber Eats have expanded quite significantly too, opening up loads of other options from East Dulwich, Peckham etc

Fran_487
26 Jan '21

Dragon rolls! Sashimi! Dumplings! Mochi! Oh god I’m so hungry :laughing:

fran
26 Jan '21

Yes, there’s a couple of new places in Peckham levels that I am keen to try and they deliver to HOP via Peckham levels. Boxwallah and Bando belly. Anyone tried them? And sometimes we can get MR Bao delivered here, which is awesome.

Eva
6 Feb '21

I tried Riwaz last night, the new Indian on London road and it was exceptionally good! Usually go with Gurkha or Babur to go for Indian but this is another strong contender locally. The menu is quite small compared to other curry houses but the food was so well cooked and nicely spicy.
I wanted to spread the word as it seems they’ve only just opened, they dropped menus through the door earlier this week and are doing some introductory discounts.

GillB
6 Feb '21

We always get Chinese from Springway (opposite the Brockley Jack) it’s always fresh, & not greasy.
We have also had biryanis/curries from the takeaway Babur, only a few minutes from us, & they do deliver.

Can’t beat Brockleys Rock For fish & chips. Whenever I’ve bought fish & chips before, I never finish it, but from there I finish it all! Delicious!

klairlouise
6 Feb '21

Golden city Sydenham for chinese…they deliver to SE23 :slight_smile:

Sandinista
7 Feb '21

Thanks for the recommendation - we tried them tonight. Interesting menu, tasted great. Will be back…

Ames
7 Feb '21

We tried Boxwallah on Friday night, was really good! Each box comes with rice and sides etc, big portions. Arrived hot and within an hour (on Deliveroo). Will definitely be going back!

hurljy
7 Feb '21

I tried the burgers from Rise café the other night and they were so delicious! They don’t deliver (collection only) but they are worth the trip, I’ll definitely be going back again :slight_smile:

fran
7 Feb '21

Ooh good. What did you get? Think I’ll try that next weekend. We had hattush this weekend. I ordered too much food :grinning: it was all good except wouldn’t get the baba ganoush again.

Ames
7 Feb '21

We also ordered too much food! That’s what fridays are for these days! Had the green chicken korma, a lamb bhuna and the paneer butter masala. All good. The fried chicken starter was lovely too, keen to try some more of their starters next time (the prawns are apparently great).

brianlynch
1 Mar '21

Nonna Maria is my favorite, I like everything there.

PennieH
2 Mar '21

We like the Donde spanish tapas - wild mushroom croquettes and aubergine machego bake are favourites. The olives are incredible and the size of alley marbles (if you remember them). Google maps says ‘permanently closed’, but they’re still open for takeaways.

FD
3 Mar '21

Does anyone have any good Vietnamese recommendations around here?

jonfrewin
3 Mar '21

I haven’t tried it but we noticed a Vietnamese in Sydenham the other day, called Saigon Cafe. It averages 4.6 stars on Google reviews, which is a pretty good score in my experience, and it’s on our list to check it out some time soon.

HannahM
3 Mar '21

If they deliver to SE23 Bahn Bahn in Peckham are very good.

Lara
3 Mar '21

There’s a good one on Catford Broadway. Behind the council building. Called Saigon Foods.

applespider
3 Mar '21

Agreed. Banh Banh are on Deliveroo and I’m happy to say they do deliver at least as the SE22 border area of SE23.

I treated myself to Mr Bao the other night with enough left over for lunch. So so good!

HannahM
3 Mar '21

Oops! Banh Banh not Bahn Bahn!!

James_Todd
5 Mar '21

Has anyone voted for the Fu House yet? Never been disappointed, except one time it was a bit late arriving but that’s only happened once so far.

James_Todd
5 Mar '21

Wait, does that mean the India Gate is gone? That’s where I used to go (you can tell I haven’t walked up London Road and paid attention for a bit)

ForestHull
5 Mar '21

Been gone for a while I’m afraid, this was back when it was snowing:

The new menu is here, along with a recommendation:

RedChilli
5 Mar '21

It’s not quite SE23 but Levante Pide in Lewisham is amazing - and it delivers to Forest Hill.
They give bags of complimentary bread and they are so charred that the room smells like bonfires when you open the bag - gorgeous!
Portion size is HUGE - don’t over order or you will be eating it for days :joy:

AndyS
5 Mar '21

Pizzarte gets my vote!

MackemJo
5 Mar '21

Mine too @AndyS , the pizzas are just amazing.

YorkshireLad
7 Mar '21

Amen to Pizzarte.

jonfrewin
14 Mar '21

We’ve just had a fabulous meal from our local Sardinian restaurant, Le Querce in Honor Oak, which we turned into a six course tasting feast. I was worried it might not travel that well, but we kept the courses we hadn’t already eaten in the oven and it all worked brilliantly!

Aubergine parcels, squid and Pearl barley, monkfish pasta, cod cheeks wrapped in speck with risotto, tiramisu and chocolate cake. It was their Mother’s Day special, £33 per person with a free kids meal thrown in.

fran
14 Mar '21

Wow looks amazing!

oakr
14 Mar '21

I’ve had dinner and looking at that still makes me hungry! I miss Querce, we’ve not been for so long and they are so good with the kids in there, plus they have some of strangest ice cream flavours - my brother in law won’t be ordering onion ice cream again though my at the time 4 year old nephew liked it!

divya_m
7 Apr '21

If anyone is looking for good Middle Eastern food, Nadine in Camberwell is delivering via Deliveroo. Their food is brilliant, the mezze box is especially good value.

James_Todd
8 Apr '21

Another +1 for Pizzarte here, tried them the first time a couple of weeks back

Also, tried Omrith on Forest Hill Road in SE22 last weekend and it was pretty good. Pretty extensive menu, quick delivery. Fantastic pakora.

I did try Riwaz as my usual was India Gate, and it was good but it’s pricey compared to run of the mill takeaways so it won’t be in my regular rotation, more of a rare treat.

fran
8 Apr '21

Oh I am getting Nandine this weekend for sure! Thanks for the tip.

fran
9 Apr '21

We just finished our takeaway and it was delicious. Especially the baba ganoush.

divya_m
19 Jan '22

Wanted to share a recommendation for a zero-waste vegan Indian food delivery service called Dabbadrop that we have tried out a few times. The food is delivered by bicycle on Fridays in stainless steel boxes which you wash and return with your next delivery. The menu changes weekly and so far the food we’ve received has been absolutely delicious. Not affiliated with them in any way – just a happy customer.

Brett
20 Jan '22

Agreed, Le Querce is fabulous but have never had takeaway from there (not since they stopped doing pizza to go anyway). Do buy the fresh ravioli on the odd occasion though but it is very pricey so a special treat.

For takeaway can highly recommend: Mamma Dough, Babur (Restaurant), Rise burgers, Brockley’s Rock, Matoom, Big Cheeks (though neither of these Thai, though good, match the amazing Begging Bowl which doesn’t do takeaway), L’Oculto. Jin Jiang in Deptford, a recent discovery, delivers and is stunningly good Chinese (Szechuan is the speciality).

HillLife
20 Jan '22

I wanted to get a Babur takeaway but then saw that their hygiene rating at the “to go” was lower than the restaurant.

oakr
20 Jan '22

You can get takeaway from the restaurant (restaurant menu and prices, not takeaway menu). Not sure if they deliver but definitely do collection.

Brett
20 Jan '22

They certainly do deliver. Well worth it in my opinion (as a treat).