Archived on 6/5/2022

Shifford and Witney Path redevelopment?

Richard_W
10 Sep '16

Does anyone have an idea what’s going on with the houses on the Shifford and Witney path estate? I know Lewisham have been planning new homes for the area for some time.

Many of the houses are now empty and I’m finding it difficult to find any recent information regarding any redevelopment.

Thanks in advance.

anon10646030
10 Sep '16

I googled that yesterday and saw that Lewisham is planning to start building in 2017 and finishing 2018, however most of the houses are l&q owned so I guess this will be more towards sacred road. I assume shifford pathes will take the longest since there are many owned freeholds

tux_dog
10 Sep '16

We are freeholders on Shifford Path and L&Q were supposed to have made a decision about redevelopment/refurbishment in January this year. We are still waiting for that decision. There are only about 2 or 3 empty homes on the estate - and L&Q know this! We badger them constantly that they have a responsibility to house tenants in need of housing…

It’s a really nice place to live - despite the outward appearance of some of the homes. There’s a lovely community of people who like it and want to improve it, rather than be forced out against the will of the majority of its residents.

Richard_W
10 Sep '16

We live on Wynell Rd. Looking out our window there are four empty homes. I’m interested to find out what exactly the plans are beyond acquiring residents freehold. I’ve heard that the plans could include up 600 units!

anon10646030
11 Sep '16

I live in Wynell road too and despite the outside appearance I would hate to have big block of flats build there and loose the nice open space, I also know and chat with people from shifford path and some are living there for ages and it is obviously a close community there, must be difficult not knowing what the future holds

AndyS
11 Sep '16

Interesting auto-correct of Dacres Road! :wink:

anon10646030
11 Sep '16

Lol yes I should read messages back before posting

jmoney
3 Oct '16

Hi all,
I live on Shifford Path and we got a letter from L&Q a few weeks back saying that they are planning to make repairs to the overhanging houses (not sure what they’re called) as well as the guttering and the windows and doors for the L&Q owned properties (including Kelmscott). The letter mentioned that they are also going to fix the uneven paving – which I think will do a lot towards improving the general look of the estate. This work is scheduled to begin this month. Exciting! They will also be making the necessary repairs to get the empty houses tenanted again (or so they have promised).

anon10646030
3 Oct '16

That’s good news :smiley:

jmoney
19 Nov '16

Update on this: There are two empty homes (owned by L&Q) on Shifford, and L&Q have now almost finished bringing them up to standard. They’ve almost gutted the insides and done a full refit so hopefully they will not be empty for long!

Richard_W
20 Nov '16

This seems at odds to what’s going on in the houses opposite my house. Another family moved out this week, there’re now 8 empty houses and people have started dumping rubbish outside them again.

One of the homes was sold privately about 6 months ago and remains empty. There doesn’t seem to be any renovation or refurbishment work going on and it looks like the council are emptying the houses.

Wynell
11 Dec '16

About 2 years ago? They had a meeting on the open space in shifford path. After a rude introduction being told I was not a resident but lived opposite in Wynell Rd a senior chap gave me a copy of a letter that contained details of an offer to owners of 10% above market value if in residence, 5% if it was a buy to let, and moving costs and rehousing for tenants. Might have the detail slightly wrong as no longer have the letter. The Manager chap said the properties were uneconomical to bring up to domestic housing standards that would be coming into force etc. He also said that they did not own the blocks in Windrush Lane in which I have an interest. So the fact there are empty properties and a constant dumping of furniture and detritus by the trees opposite 13/14 Wynell Rd makes me think something might be happening?
I have researched L&Q info and can find no info would like to see redevelopment which if well planned and the mature trees were retained could provide more homes open space and car parking (as no one uses their garage and park on pavement in Wynell road also many of the gardens are neglected.

Richard_W
12 Dec '16

Which makes me wonder what’s going on. There are clearly many residents taking Lewisham up on the offer yet others are being told that these uneconomical houses are being given to new tennents? It doesn’t make any sense.

Like you, I also did a planning search and failed to find any new information. For us it’s doubly frustrating as we’ve been on the waiting list for a new home for 5 years while there are loads of empty houses literally a stones throw away.

jmoney
27 Dec '16

The person you need to speak to at L&Q is Jon Fish.

The reason the flytipping is so bad is because the council won’t remove the dumped waste because they say it’s L&Q’s responsibility if it’s on their land – and L&Q can often take a few weeks to remove it, which then attracts more flytipping.

Just to clear up any confusion – L&Q are the housing association – the council have nothing to do with placing or removing tenants (there was a stock transfer a few years back from Lewisham to L&Q).

Richard_W
27 Dec '16

To be fair the waste that’s dumped at the Mayow Rd end of Wynell Rd is usually cleared by Lewisham pretty quickly. Most of the time it’s cleared within a week. As long as properties remain empty there will be fly tipping.

I’m still no further in discovering exactly what’s going on with the vacant properties. There’s a lot of contradictory information. Our property was part of the stock transfer. Out neighbour passed away three months ago and that property also remains empty.

Wynell
28 Dec '16

Strikes me the only way the information is going to be obtained is if a coordinated effort (petition) is sent to L&Q demanding an answer. This has to be from the residents as my previous experience suggests that non residents will be ignored.
Senior managers at LQ can be found via linked in. I also have some email addresses used to get work done on adjoining house that caused a danger to us, can supply…

Personally I can’t believe L&Q are not interested in development as the financial rewards from increased property density must be Tremendous? They have investors and with a combination of rented, shared and freehold properties the Shifford path site is a goldmine nicely done with open spaces and retained trees it could be a real asset.
I noticed that a recent eviction resulting from rental debts of £38k has resulted in the house up for sale at £370k so if the cost is £400k per plot plus build costs for say low rise apartments with 3 or 4 per plot at £400k looks like a good profit plus ongoing rental income and shared ownership. If I had millions would certainly take a punt :thinking:

Wynell
28 Dec '16

Just to add I understand from my tenant that there is a Tenants Residents Association being set up for the Bampton Estate although it seems to be lacking support?
This would be an ideal vehicle to approach L&Q or Lewisham or both for more information as the estate is jointly managed with the ‘Points’ under LBC control and the paths under LQ.

Mat
21 Mar '17

Morning all, have there been any further updates to this situation? We are looking at a house for sale on Witney Path, I thought redevelopment might be a problem so Googled and found this thread. We currently rent in Sydenham and love the area, thought we wouldn’t be able to afford to stay but with this house it could be a possibility.

jmoney
24 Mar '17

Hi Mat,
A (very good!) update. L&Q have sent tenants and residents in Shifford and Witney a letter saying that they will no longer be looking at redeveloping the estate, based on the strength of opposition (and probably a few other factors as well). We’re all delighted – as it means we’re no longer ‘in limbo’ and freeholders can make improvements to their homes. Good news if you are looking to buy as well – the ex local authority houses in Sydenham and Forest Hill are pretty much the only ‘affordable’ option left for first time buyers in this area. We’re delighted with ours – massive room and we even have a garden.
PM me if you want more details, always happy to chat.

Mat
24 Mar '17

Thanks very much - I wrote a long reply but didn’t realised it would be posted here, can’t work out how to send you a message, will do when I get home later. Glad to hear about L&Qs decision!

anon5422159
24 Mar '17

10 posts were split to a new topic: The Impact of Right to Buy

anon5422159
24 Mar '17

I have just enabled private messaging for you @Mat.

FYI, all - normally PMing is automatically enabled for members that have been on the site for a while, or who have got their profile verified.

Wynell
24 Mar '17

Let’s hope this decision and the security it offers will encourage the occupants of Shifford path to be responsible citizens and end the relentless dumping of rubbish, abuse of the recycling bins and general detritus which spoils the surrounding area.

jmoney
24 Mar '17

I am sure you didn’t mean to imply that it was those on Shifford Path who are responsible for the persistent flytipping. Most of us are constantly calling the council about it

jmoney
24 Mar '17

Hi Chris, Can you enable it for me as well?
Ta!

anon5422159
24 Mar '17

@jmoney done.

jmoney
24 Mar '17

Hey Mat, I’m verified now too so you can PM me.

Wynell
24 Mar '17

Having witnessed the dumping on a few occasions with the responsible then returning to properties within Shifford path one can only ‘speak as one finds’ I am sure there are those residents for whom it is disappointing.
On my last walk I noticed several green bins that have been deemed by the council contaminated perhaps if non residents are fly tipping then some vigilance is required perhaps returning the bins once emptied to within the property. I understand there is a Bampton Estate residents association perhaps temporary cctv can be installed to record the number plates of the rogue fly tippers?

jmoney
24 Mar '17

Thank you for your concern. There’s an active residents association for Shifford and Witney and we’re working closely with L&Q around flytipping. If you do see anyone (resident or not) flytipping, you can report it here http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/environment/street-cleaning/flytipping/Pages/default.aspx

ollyz
27 Apr '17

Hello, Hope this is the right place to post?

I have recently purchased a terrace house on Shifford Path. Planning to move in with my family very soon. I understand that the demolition of the houses is now not going to happen- Can anyone confirm this? Also I was wondering if other freeholders have received any information regarding contributing financially to improvements being undertaken on their house (shared terrace roofs, guttering etc)? Also has anyone seen any planning application of the redevelopment? If so how can I see them.

Really looking forward to moving to the area and meeting some of you.

anon5422159
27 Apr '17

Welcome to the forum @ollyz :thumbsup:

ollyz
28 Apr '17

Hi Chris could I PM jmoney or some of the other contributers of this thread to find out more please?

anon5422159
28 Apr '17

I’ve enabled PMing for you.

jmoney
29 Apr '17

Hi Ollyz! Welcome to Shifford! Yes, we can confirm that L&Q are no longer going ahead with the redevelopment (demolition) and are now refurbishing. All they are doing so far is replacing the windows and doors and sofits on the tenanted houses and the guttering. They are looking into doing the roofs but that would only be for the L&Q homes and at our last residents association meeting confirmed that they wouldn’t be inviting freeholders to ‘buy into’ these repairs. As the redevelopment option is off the table now there are no plans (they hadn’t got to the planning stage anyway). There’s an active residents association and we meet with L&Q often, plus the contractors (Lawtech) are on site – and are happy to answer any questions. Good luck with your move and PM me if you have any more questions. :smile:

anon10646030
29 Apr '17

Shame that painting the houses is not included in the refurb but I guess it’s to much to ask for😃Love to see every house in a different colour could look great but really happy for all residents that the redevelopment is off the table

jmoney
29 Apr '17

It’s something we’re pushing for, as I am sure would not cost much but would make a huge difference to the look of the estate. The ones on Inglemere that are painted look amazing :smile:

anon10646030
29 Apr '17

Sounds :+1: keep pushing :smiley:

ollyz
3 May '17

Hello Jmoney,

thank you for your reply. That’s fantastic news. I did try contacting L&Q but they were reluctent to give out any information what so ever. Do you know what L&Q longterm plans for the estate are?

It would be good to know what style/colour window frames and doors they are going to use so we could match that. I hope they don’t go for the cheapest and ugliest option- those house could look fabulous. Take a look at Donnybrook Quarter, Parnell Road in Bow or Alexandra Estate in Camden (both very des res estates).

We have no idea the state of the roof of the house we are buying and hope the whole thing won’t need replacing. Do you know if they have got a lot of problems?

We were told that the insulation in some of the houses was not very good so will have to look into that too.

A real shame they are not painting the outsides of the houses. A cheap thing to do that would give the maximum impact- something to push for for sure.

Really looking forward to moving to the area and meeting some of the residents. :slight_smile:

AndyB
2 Nov '17

Hi- there is a Residents Association you can ask to be kept in the loop by emailling swamresidents@gmail.com
Cheers

jmoney
5 Nov '17

Hey all. I’ve been told by L&Q that the external refurb (painting the houses etc.) will happen next budget year, so at the earliest it will be April. Seems odd that they don’t do it all at once when the scaffold is already up but there you go.

Rebecca_Headd
5 Jan '18

Lawtech have recently put up signs on a number of trees on the development on Shifford Path that tree works will be undergoing. My heart always sinks when I see these signs as it might mean trees will be felled. One of the trees is apparently a rare maple tree. I have rang them to ask and await information. Does anyone know anything?

Rebecca_Headd
5 Jan '18

Also they have already felled an incredibly old and rare mulberry tree that was there, hence my bad feeling about this.

anon10646030
5 Jan '18

I really hope they just trimming the old trees, love those big old trees and surely they can only be cut down if they are posing a risk

Paul0
11 Feb '19

Hello,

I’m keen to stay in Forest Hill and I’ve just seen a house for sale in Shifford Path and it’s encouraging to see a forum for the community who are keen to smarten up and look after the area.

Would anyone be able to recommend a point of contact (in L&Q?) to clarify whether any planned refurbishments on the Housing Association homes might effect people who own their property (e.g roofs etc)?

Many thanks,

Paul

jmoney
14 Feb '19

Hi paul, the refurbishment on l&q homes was completed about a month back and as far as i know no further work is planned. Lucy Smith is the estates contact at l&q.

Paul0
15 Feb '19

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

Paul

jmoney
18 Feb '19

We’ve lived on shifford for four years and love it !