Archived on 6/5/2022

Sloes

Pea
21 Oct '20

Bit of a niche topic but is anyone aware of any Sloe bushes in the area? There are normally loads near my parents but obviously with Tier 2 we can’t go. I’ll be making some Sloe Gin and Brandy once I have the sloes. Happy to share my recipe if anyone else interested. Ideally you get them just before the first frost!

HOP20
23 Oct '20

Yes, we got lots a couple of years back from the top of One Tree Hill - literally just behind the platform at the top!

Pea
23 Oct '20

Oh ok that’s fab. I might have to take a walk up there next week. Thank you - hope I can get some next week :pray:

Foresthillnick
24 Oct '20

There are quite a lot along the Riverside walkway or The Pool River…
However you might find them gone as they were soft and ready very early this year and will have been gobbled up by birds and people by now…

Pea
24 Oct '20

Thanks. Do you mean Waterlink way or is Riverside walk somewhere else. Where is The Pool River too? Yeah I suspect I am a bit late but worth a shot :blush:

Foresthillnick
24 Oct '20

Yeah I mean that - it seems to have different names in different places…

Right in the middle where the path runs up to the allotments there are a couple of bushes that are normally jammed full of sloes…

Pea
24 Oct '20

Brilliant. I shall report back next week on how I get on. Might try here first as a bit nearer and probably busier mid week :blush: