Southern Rail

trains

Chink of light at the end of the tunnel?

Also reported in the Graun. Praise to Allah!

AFAICT it is with the drivers not the guards.

RMT are apparently still at loggerheads with Southern, so this ASLEF agreement won’t mean the end of all disruption…

One step forward, one step back again.

Press release from GTR:

As you may be aware we have been involved in discussions with the Department for Transport (DfT) over the GTR franchise contract, following the industry-wide issues surrounding the introduction of the May 2018 timetable. An agreement has been reached and we have a plan in place for the remainder of the franchise period, bringing further stability and helping build on the performance improvements since the summer.

We have also agreed with the DfT that we will contribute £15m towards tangible improvements for passengers. We will work with passenger groups to determine what improvements this package will fund, and we will be back in touch on this point. This fund is on top of the additional industry compensation we are offering to qualifying Thameslink and Great Northern customers most severely affected by disruption between 20 May and 28 July 2018.

A link to the full statement from our parent company is available here: https://www.go-ahead.com/en/media/news/2018/GTR-DfT-agreement-2018.html

I like the phrase “…plan in place for the remainder of the franchise period, bringing further stability…”
I could be reading too much into those carefully chosen words but I think they mean that DfT came close to cancelling the franchise early and they got away with a £15m fine.

To me it looks like it was drafted by the legal department and merely accepted by the PR department. Writing, “bringing further stability” means that they do not acknolwlege a previous lack of stability and explicitly referring to the remainder of the franchise period is so that they are clearly not limited by this thereafter.

Probably written as a reaction the Grayling’s parliamentary update, here:

I get the 06:57/8 from Forest Hill to London Bridge and it always seems to be on time. My only gripe is that it can sit outside London Bridge for a while, juddering its way in as it’s held to ease conjestion. Staunch Tory but they need to renationalise the railways and kick out the likes of Southern and Govia.

The only thing I’ve noticed is that WiFi is on the majority of trains now, including those older carriages.

I suppose the next franchise is subject to a completely new contract and possibly taken on by a different company so they couldn’t make any claims for what might be outside their control. Agreed all carefully worded.