Archived on 6/5/2022

Spotted in SE23

anon5422159
7 Feb '18

Hat tip to @WeAreSE23

Any other good celeb spots in the area?

RachaelDunlop
7 Feb '18

What was the wiki link for? Surely Idris Elba needs no introduction?

robin.orton
7 Feb '18

The name was vaguely familiar, but I appreciated being told who he was.

Londondrz
7 Feb '18

A few years ago I was in From The Forest and a few people were going gaga. Turns out I was in there with JayZ and Beyonce. Had no idea. Most well known people I have met seem nothing like their TV/film persona apart from Gordon Kennedy who I had a beer with in the Dartmouth Arms, he was with a mutual friend. Big lad, I bought the pints :slight_smile:

Some of us need that Wiki link :sunglasses:

RachaelDunlop
7 Feb '18

Can you provide a Wiki link for Gordon Kennedy?

Anotherjohn
7 Feb '18

Idris Elba in Forest Hill (cough-SPECSAVERS-splutter)

Nah, I bet it was Doug who used to run Dapper (he smiles at all the lay-dez!)

Nadia
7 Feb '18

I believe they’re shooting Luther all day tomorrow in crofton park, businesses round there were informed about all the trucks that would be there. Shame I’m working tomorrow !

anon51837532
7 Feb '18

His Wiki link ( and I think you knew this) is pretty thin

His IMDB is more informative and has a few laughs included.

RachaelDunlop
7 Feb '18

Never heard of him.

anon51837532
7 Feb '18

Can there be two Gordon Kennedy’s?

anon86223367
8 Feb '18

Ian Wright in The Hotel on Stanstead Road when it used to be open and I was a nipper.

Londondrz
8 Feb '18

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nadia
8 Feb '18

Iwan Rheon, who plays the very evil Ramsay Bolton in Game of Thrones. I’m told he lives/lived in Forest Hill and frequented the All Inn One. Is that true?

RJM
8 Feb '18

I have, but from Scottish telly in the 90s, so a vague idea that he looks familiar rather than actual recognition…

RachaelDunlop
8 Feb '18

I was a huge fan of Absolutely when it was on the telly, but can’t remember him in it. May be my advancing years affecting my memory.

anon51837532
8 Feb '18

Here is the same Gordon Kennedy

Taken, probably, at a time closer to when he was appearing in Absolutely.

anon51837532
8 Feb '18

And of course we have the Harry Potter connections:

I remember hearing that Michael Gambon moved out of Sunderland Road not too long before taking up the role of Professor Albus Dumbledore.

Timothy Spall who played Wormtail also is (still, I think) a Forest Hill resident. Although he has been seen bobbing about in a boat with his wife Shane in Timothy Spall: Somewhere at Sea, Timothy Spall: Back at Sea and Timothy Spall: All at Sea.

GillB
8 Feb '18

Adrian Lesters 2 daughters went to Fairlawn Primary School & he very often dropped or picked up. Also came on a school trip once to Greenwich. 2 boys in the playground there were very impressed & asked for his autograph.
Very nice man & lovely girls. We always knew when dad was at home as the eldest girl was always feeling unwell :grin:

GillB
8 Feb '18

Timothy Spall lived in Honor Oak Road but I believe moved several years ago. Does his daughter still own Stag & Bow?

GillB
8 Feb '18

Oh yes, I saw the trucks outside the Rivoli yesterday, could have been that. They are out there so often I just take it for granted :grimacing:

GillB
8 Feb '18

I can’t remember him in it either & I was also a huge fan on Ab Fab :blush:

GillB
8 Feb '18

My daughter really likes Idris Elba too & will be disappointed. Although there was no chance of her being there either as she works in Bromley.

GillB
8 Feb '18

Sorry think I’ve got the wrong programme :wink:

Welshcake
11 Feb '18

This may have solved a mystery for me – I once sat in the Dartmouth Arms convinced that a bloke a few seats away was Peter Baikie from Absolutely (I’m also a huge fan!) Unfortunately, the way I dealt with this was by staring at him, rather than picking an opportune moment to ask politely. (A friend of mine met him a few years later, at an Absolutely reunion, and said he’s a top bloke.)

applespider
11 Feb '18

I got a box set of Absolutely a few years back - some sketches had aged but many still made me laugh out loud. The Stoneybridge council ones are still funny.

Suspect I might have walked past Gordon in the street although as I am rubbish at faces, that’s not entirely surprising!

RachaelDunlop
11 Feb '18

Do the Absolutely fans here know they have reformed on Radio 4? It’s true, it is!

anon51837532
11 Feb '18

My memory is getting patchy.

Jack Docherty (no relation) and Moray Hunter were two of the principal writers for the Absolute series.(1989-93).

I moved her in '91 and now have recall (late) that one or both were resident at that time in Forest Hill. Am I mistaken ?

There are episodes on YouTube - but I am cautious that the nature of the sketches and the anglo-saxon expletives might be too much for sensitive ears on here.

Londondrz
11 Feb '18

It was Pete, he lived above us in FH. A great neighbour and a true gent. He is the reason I was with Gordon Kennedy, they are mates.

Welshcake
11 Feb '18

Thanks for confirming. And very belated apologies to Pete for the weird fangirling!

applespider
11 Feb '18

No - that’s excellent news! Will go and take a look

Brett
11 Feb '18

Correct except that he used to live on Honor Oak Park.

GillB
11 Feb '18

I stand corrected :blush:

Michael
11 Feb '18

I thought he had actually lived on Honor Oak Rise, next door to an old friend. But i could be wrong.

Welshcake
11 Feb '18

Alicia Keys played a gig a while back.

Pauline
11 Feb '18

Ha, Ian Wrights Mother In Law used to live a few doors from me on Rockbourne Road.

Lovely lady Ruby is & he used to pop by most Sunday’s on his Harley & have a kick around with the kids, he was a really down to earth guy.

Pauline
11 Feb '18

Charlotte Rampling’s son Barnaby lives on Thorpewood Avenue - many live in FH!

Not telling anyone about my customers that just pop by & don’t want to be noticed :+1:

MrsGideon
12 Feb '18

I’ve seen Charlotte Rampling at Sylvan Post, and Josh O’Connor several times in Sainsbury’s (I think he lives locally)

anon5422159
13 Feb '18
Chris
14 Feb '18

The Hotel was my favourite pub in Forest Hill. Such a shame it closed. I was lead to believe that the bottom floor or part of it was to remain as a bar/pub of some type. Never happened.

wmorgan1
15 Feb '18

Moray Hunter bought our flat in Ewelme Road corner of Devonshire Road. Coronation Street star ken morley used to live in the ground floor flat.

Michael
16 Feb '18

Another classic local:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/interview-dai-fujikura-classical-music-composer/