Archived on 6/5/2022

Sprucing up Vaidas Cycles, Honor Oak

anon5422159
20 Apr '18

Looks like Vaidas might be ditching the bright orange signage and hopefully getting something a bit more classy:

Honor Oak is continually smartening up - it’s great to see :+1:

starman
20 Apr '18

Southwark has (or had) a program called ILRE - Improving Local Retail Environments which was directly targeted at improving the streetscape in specific areas. Though unlike Dartmouth Road I think the ILRE also funded or contributed to shop fronts.

I couldn’t see if Lewisham had a similar program.

anon5422159
20 Apr '18

There’s an interesting discussion on SE26.life that touched on this (the “What If” project):

Foresthillnick
20 Apr '18

Nice shop and they have always been very friendly when I have popped in. I do wonder how bike shops survive on the high street though…

oakr
20 Apr '18

I suspect they do a fair bit of bike services \ repairs, and I see they now sell Frog bikes which will appeal to the family market (with slightly deeper pockets perhaps).

I got my bike from them many years ago on a cycle to work scheme - they offered me an amazing discount on a carbon bike for cash as I think they needed it but that was 6-7 years so I think \ hope they are doing better now.

As you say they are always really helpful and I liked buying from them on that basis if I needed to go back for anything.

I hope for @anon5422159’s sake the sign is changing to a luminous orange one! :slight_smile:

anon30031319
20 Apr '18

Indeed it is nice to see local bike shops maintaining their place on the high streets, so here’s to them remaining for a long time yet.

Daffodil
20 Apr '18

Another thumbs up for Vaidas - I had a bike which needed repairing, I took it in and they replaced the brake pads and the brake cables too, for a very reasonable sum, and the bike was ready the following day.

I noticed they had second hand bikes for sale so I also ended up buying myself a bike, which I am very pleased with. I thought I should put my money where my mouth is, and instead of just complaining about the air quality in London make an effort to use the car less. For short journeys I now walk, cycle or catch the bus. I feel fitter, and more virtuous too!

So yes I would recommend them for bike repairs and I hope they continue to do well.

Dodge
21 Apr '18

Thumbs up for Vaidas. Great shop, honest and reliable service.

Brett
22 Apr '18

Seconded. My trusty old steed had a full service a couple of weeks ago and is now like a new bike!

They have a new partner in the business and I think they should go from strength to strength.

anon5422159
25 May '18

Vaidas’ new signage is up!

What do you think?

• :heart_eyes: Love
  • :+1: Like
  • :expressionless:No strong opinion
  • :-1: Dislike
  • :rage: Hate

0 voters

Anotherjohn
25 May '18

A fitting addition to Honor Oak Park opposite the legendary Ron Cooper’s old premises.

Ron%20Cooper