Archived on 6/5/2022

Stag Beetles - awareness needed

thirstforwine
6 Jun '16

Shared from Facebook - a post by Mike Strick and shared by a local friend

I send out this email at work every year but thought I’d share it here this time.

Every year in early summer, the stag beetles emerge to find mates. They have spent the first five to seven years of their life underground as larvae and now have just a few short weeks to live as adults.

Every year I’m shocked by how many people fail to recognise these icons of British wildlife, and am saddened by how many beetles end their lives crushed underfoot. Stag beetles have been around virtually unchanged for millions of years, and are not equipped to survive in an urban environment. Their numbers have declined drastically over the past few decades and the species is seriously endangered.

If you see one on a pavement, please move it out of harm’s way. Despite being large (the male can be up to three inches long), they are placid and harmless provided you don’t stick a finger between the male’s large ‘antlers’, which can inflict quite a strong pinch. Pick them up gently with finger and thumb on either side of the thorax (the middle part of the body, behind the head) and move them into a garden or similar.

Please keep an eye open for them. In flight in the early evening they are phenomenal, flying in an upright and rather ungainly style, making a noise like a small fighter plane. They tend to make a pretty uncontrolled landing, often ending up on pavements, which is where you’re most likely to see them and where they need your help to get to safety. The recent high winds are probably giving them trouble, meaning that they could end up in particularly tricky situations.

If you have children, it would be a big help if you could make sure they know about stag beetles too. Kids probably come across them more frequently than their parents. If they know what they are and what to do, the beetles are more likely to survive the encounter!

These are spectacular animals. We really have nothing else like them. It would be a shame if we lost them forever.

Wow - over 1000 shares! Great to know so many people care - thank you so much for spreading the word! If each one of those shares helps save just one beetle it could make a real difference.

Another way you can help is to report any stag beetles you find to one or both of these sites. More data on where they’re found will help establish why they’re declining and how we can prevent it:
http://ptes.org/get-involved/surveys/garden/great-stag-hunt/
http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/stag-beetle-survey

I took this exactly a year ago on the pavement of the South Circular here in Forest Hill … so this is the time to be on the lookout

https://www.instagram.com/p/3cBcG0p4ko/?taken-by=thirstforwine

Brett
6 Jun '16

Agreed they are amazing creatures. They spend up to 7 years in pupal form. We used to have loads until a recent development behind our house meant the loss of a very old oak tree. They feed on native rotting deciduous wood so a slightly unkempt corner of your garden is good for them.

Not sure why you would squash any beetle actually.

thirstforwine
6 Jun '16

It is surprising how few people look either up or down as they walk (even when they are not staring at their phones)

Edd
6 Jun '16

We encountered one at the South Circ end of Colfe Road late Friday night - he was a very handsome chap! Had not realised they were round here, though I saw plenty as a kid in Berkshire. Will pass on the message.

thirstforwine
6 Jun '16

Yes, definitely a local feature, but in need of support. There was also an article in the FHSoc newsletter about this:

Sandinista
6 Jun '16

A little off topic but my nature lesson this week was that this is a soon-to-be ladybird. Dozens of them getting ready to emerge in the garden…

thirstforwine
6 Jun '16

ha, yes! lots of the … cute little things … about.

I sat in the garden yesterday and found several of the larvae crawling on me

One thing, if you are into these things, is to look out for native ladybirds vs the rather invasive Harlequins. Not easy to tell apart, but the latter are killing off the cute, local ones (don’t tell the #VoteLeave lot though or they’ll use this as another example of the EU attacking Britain … JOKE!!!)

fran
6 Jun '16

Stag beetles give me the heebiegeebies. Not sure I could bring myself to pick one up. On another tangent, anyone else call wood lice cheesy bugs?

thirstforwine
7 Jun '16

Went for a short walk with my daughter yesterday evening in the hope of seeing a Stag Beetle. We are both fans! Sadly, no luck for us but might try again tonight.

I know @Edd has seen one this year - has anyone else? If so, where?

Free drink (from me) at the meet-up on the 30th for the first person to see one and post the photograph here (and do let me know where so we can maybe try and see one too.)

Resident_Drinker
8 Jun '16

My two boys love looking for them so well worth reminding everyone to look underfoot

RachaelDunlop
8 Jun '16

Saw one today, sadly squished. Usually get some around my garden, will keep an eye out.

thirstforwine
8 Jun '16

sad to hear of the squishing … still waiting to see my first of the year - dead or alive

Pauline
8 Jun '16

Are you trying to recreate an old song here Rob,

You spin me right round baby right round…

I’m joking here, but on a serious note, I’ve not come across any & have been looking since your original post!

RachaelDunlop
14 Jun '16

A very quick snap taken today just off Perry Vale. Do I get a prize?

thirstforwine
14 Jun '16

I think so … hard to tell :grin:

A drink on me on the 30th indeed

RachaelDunlop
14 Jun '16

If he’s still there in my way back and it’s not pouring with rain I’ll try to get a better shot. He was moving so slowly I reckon I’ll catch up.

Brett
14 Jun '16

Ahem, that looks like a she to me!

thirstforwine
14 Jun '16

I didn’t want to comment (but I believe you are right)

with any luck there will be a number of he’s following her around later too :wink:

Brett
14 Jun '16

Yes well that when the fun starts (and not just for the beetles). Hey @RachaelDunlop, now, with luck, you will see a male flying in, in a rather comical way, to mate with her.

RachaelDunlop
14 Jun '16

Well, a female is STILL a stag beetle, so I claim my drink.

But yes, point taken. I blame the heavy rain for my over enthusiasm in the moment.

Edd
7 Jul '16

Just met this gorgeous girl out for a stroll in Dulwich

Londondrz
7 Jul '16

Our garden seems to be crawling with stag beetles. Have never seen so many before.

Daffodil
7 Jul '16

We found a lady stag beetle sitting on the arm of our sofa! Maybe trying to hide from the attentions of all those flying males! Now safely back in our garden next to the wood pile.

Welshcake
1 Jun '17

Rescued a male this morning just up from the crossing on London Road. Poor lad had turned turtle! Deposited him safely on some bushes. No pic sadly, but posting to say they’re around, so do look out for them and help them if needed. They really are spectacular.

divya_m
1 Jun '17

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. We had a male in our living room yesterday and I freaked out, not knowing what it was. Chucked him out into the garden. Hopefully he’s ok.

LukeSlatford
10 Jun '17

I found one at the jungle end of our garden today in Woodcombe Crescent in the pile of old tree sections I had started to shift. Was surprised how big it was! He is safely back in his hole now!

Elfo29
11 Jun '17

One on our garden wall last night - we’re near the Devonshire Road nature reserve so get a few weird and wonderful things.

DevonishForester
11 Jun '17

Saw one in our shady side return yesterday.

RachaelDunlop
8 Jul '17

Just found a female in my garden under some ground ivy, at the foot of a dead tree. Tucked her back in and reported the sighting to the People’s Trust for Endangered Species. https://ptes.org/get-involved/wildlife-action/help-stag-beetles/

kat.standlake.point
8 Jul '17

I found two in our block in June on the communal balconies. Both were males and alive and very big, about 10 cm. Took them outside on the grass by the tree. Reported today on the website via the link in the post above.