Archived on 6/5/2022

Starting to commute to work by bike?

comoed
23 Jun '16

I know there are a lot of people that like the idea of cycling to work every now and then, but dont because they are a frightened of the cars, dont know the easiest way, or dont think they’d be able to make it.

The days are nice and long and warm at the moment, and its a perfect time to start biking to work, so as such I’d like to offer my services as a guide to take anyone who is interested in a ride towards London in the morning. I’m happy to go a bit out of my way (Barbican is my daily destination at the moment) if anyone needs a specific route.

I dont have any particular qualifications, other than I’ve been riding a bike for around 40 years and know my way around the various cycle routes into town.

If anyone is interested, comment below or contact me and we can work out a meeting place/time.

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

What a lovely idea an offer @comoed :slight_smile: That’s what I like to see.
I agree the roads can be an intimidating place, especially early days, but a little co-existence and all is not so bad.
So great to see someone offer help with overcoming the early day jitters, and showing how rewarding it can be.

The little cycling group is also planning some morning weekend rides in town too, so you can get the idea of a route, and how it’s not that hard really, without the stress of the traffic, then build yourself up to it.

Londondrz
23 Jun '16

I am keen but my other half would rather I didn’t. I got taken out by a drunk driver in 2008 and spent nearly a year off work as a result. I was on a motorbike and she feels a bicycle is more dangerous.

anon5422159
23 Jun '16

This is a really positive idea, and thanks for kicking this off @comoed.

As a note to new SE23.lifers: there is an opt-in category for deeper chat on cycling, which you can join by replying to our “Calling all Cyclists” topic.

IMO @comoed’s topic about cycle commuters should remain publicly visible here in “Fitness/Health,” rather than being squirrelled away in the opt-in “Cycling” category.

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

I can understand that feeling. Lost a few friends on motorbikes on the road.
And having been victim of one of the scum of the roads, drunk drivers, I imagine it is even harder to see someone you love go out.
BUT…
There are so many variables these days of what, who, if, when, that worrying too much about everything just makes you worse off.
I have to confess I drive my commute to work, purely because its only a short ride otherwise, and I would spend more time getting ready and changed either side of the commute.

But casual road riding is fantastic, and a great place to start out on the road to commuting. Got a bike @Londondrz ? lol

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

Great to see that cycling is “squirrelled away” in general, hmmph lol

Londondrz
23 Jun '16

@anon64893700 Can I get all the lycra? :grinning:

No bike but have toyed with it over the last few years. I need excersise and our office has showers. Shall mention it to the other half again.

@comoed I work in Farringdon so may take you up on that if I get a bike.

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

Only if it is all one outfit, and popular team branded @Londondrz
There are some great deals out there on all sorts of bikes these days.
Dare I ask your height (not weight lol) I might have something you can borrow to come on a fun ride with us to get the juices flowing so to speak.

Londondrz
23 Jun '16

Hi anon64893700, until a few years ago I was six two, now six one. I carry on this way I will be five foot by 60 :grin:

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

[quote=“Londondrz, post:9, topic:873, full:true”]

Well fancy that, I have a couple of bikes you could try out, the road bike is probably more fitting, but the MTB would accomodate you too I reckon.

Londondrz
23 Jun '16

That is extraordinarily kind anon64893700. I dont have any bike gear so will pinch a pair of my wifes tights and put a T-Shirt on from when I was a lot thinner!

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

PM sent @Londondrz

comoed
23 Jun '16

@Londondrz if you get sorted for a ride, it would be nice to meet you and show you a fun way of getting to work. In the meantime, or for anyone else who is interested - here is a list of things that might help you get ready for cycle commuting. There are also some decent hints in the comments below the article.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/bike-blog/2016/mar/10/cycling-how-to-conquer-the-commute

Nomis46
23 Jun '16

I also do a daily commute to Victoria so if anyone wants to start cycling in that direction I’d be more than happy to take you for a ride. The journey to Victoria is relatively pleasant and you can pick up the Cycle Highway from Oval. Dog Kennel Hill is also a great way to get the heart pumping in the morning! :mountain_bicyclist:

comoed
23 Jun '16

@Nomis46 I have done a commute that takes in Dog Kennel Hill every morning, but depending on where you live in Forest Hill - there is an easier way to get to Victoria (and dare I say more pleasant?) that doesn’t require you to get out of your saddle!

Try this way one morning…

Sol
23 Jun '16

Hi guys, I think this is a great idea.

I’d like to offer some assistance too, I ride into Oxford Circus and happy to take anyone in that direction.

My current route is:
Forest Hill -> Honor Oak Park -> Peckham -> Camberwell -> Oval -> Vauxhall -> across Lambeth Bridge -> Charring Cross -> Soho -> Oxford Circus

Also don’t mind a little deviation in the route for a pick up or drop off.

anon5422159
23 Jun '16

Quite an epic trip there @Sol! By the way I just added you to our cyclists group so you should see more about cycling on the forum.

anon64893700
23 Jun '16

Nice one @sol great of you to join in the spirit of things. Sounds like a fun ride indeed. I started one of my rides that sort of way recently. Good if it’s the right time of day for sure.

jonfrewin
23 Jun '16

When I cycle to Oxford circus I head right before the oval and up and across waterloo bridge. I’m not a big fan of cycling through Vauxhall and think the timings are roughly similar. Have you tried that route too @Sol?

whlsarah
23 Jun '16

I have fairly recently started cycling- I aim for once a week. I go to London Bridge and there is a quietish route via Peckham Rye, Rye Lane, Sumner Road etc. I leave around 6am. The worst bit is Rye Lane on the way back between 5pm and 6pm. Pedestrians!!!

RosieRand
23 Jun '16

Comoed - how long is this route? I go to Victoria/Westminster from FH, and dodge Dog Kennel Hill by going through the Green Lanes cycle/footpath.

comoed
23 Jun '16

It’s 13.5km. I worked on Victoria Street for two years so tried lots of variations but that is my favourite

oakr
23 Jun '16

Hello all, I’ve commuted by bike from my former abode in Shepherds Bush to Liverpool Street (biggest mistake ever cycling down Oxford Street - between the buses and pedestrians it was not good!).

Anyway have done it from HOP now to Liv Street \ Shoreditch and now Aldgate (not for a while but hopefully will start up again soon).

Anyway, there are lots of different routes. I generally now go down the A2 for a bit and over Tower Bridge, previously I did London Bridge. TFL have a journey planner which I found useful before to map out the route and there are some routes marked out, similar to I think the route whlsarah takes. Sarah do you go over the pedestrian bridge to cross the railway track after going down Grierson and down the back way? In the summer I find it nicer to go up past HOP station, turn right not far up one tree hill and cycle through the cemetery and then down to Peckham Rye.

My only advice is to cycle defensively, don’t be intimidated by cars an don’t cycle right up on the curb \ painted lines and watch out for the potholes!

Did anyone use to cycle through Burgess Park up towards Peckham Library? It was great as they had some horses kept there, really made you feel in the countryside for a moment before being brought back down to earth on Peckham High Street!

Sol
23 Jun '16

Thanks Chris, I’m still getting used to the site so I’ll keep an eye out for the cyclist posts

Sol
23 Jun '16

Hey Jon,
I haven’t tried that route as part of my commute, however if you haven’t been to Vauxhall in a while it’s all changed and has a safe and clear cycling lane straight across/through it.

I remember it before the facelift and it wasn’t pleasant, I used to have some close shaves at Elephant and Castle too but that’s much better now.

Sol
23 Jun '16

@anon64893700 I never used to be a fair weather cyclist but I’m getting softer as I get older… still pushing the MTB though, love it.

P.s. replying on my phone so apologies if it’s just a stream of my responses.

oakr
23 Jun '16

It is nice!

As an aside, when I’m feeling brave I cycle back up alongside the lower side of Peckham Rye and then up past one tree hill - I’m sure it’s not an issue for the fitter members of this forum but that last bit up to the top of one tree hill is a killer, I can hardly breathe by the time I get up there!

Way down is good though, if I get the lights I could literally almost coast all the way home!

oakr
24 Jun '16

Don’t get me wrong I prefer the cemetery - saw a green woodpecker in there last year :slight_smile:

When the cemetery is closed you can cycle up to the entrance if yo come up the other side of Peckham Rye, then down to 3/4 of the way up one tree hill already via I think benchley gardens, then it’s not all in one go, but def the tough bit to do, but more manageable without the long steady previous climb.

Not sure if you go up Kelvington Road, that’s quite good for a shortish hilly strava segment.

oakr
24 Jun '16

That sounds very wise, I generally do also, in between periodic fits of trying to get fit(ter) doing some hill climbs, though my body weight and gravity argue quite strongly against it!

anon64893700
24 Jun '16

Don’t blame you, not one bit. Especially for commuting anyway. Bad enough when it’s clear and dry.

I will ride in the wet, especially the MTB, nothing like getting muddy. But recently become a fan of my road bike, so favour dry weather now, for leisure.

anon64893700
24 Jun '16

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! But hills are where the fun is at lol

anon64893700
24 Jun '16

For commuting avoiding hills is probably better really, arrive in a better state I guess lol.
But for leisure riding, I am addicted to a bit of suffering and effort. Especially when riding in London, there aren’t really too many hills that you have to work too hard at, but can still get a burn.

whlsarah
24 Jun '16

I too am a hill avoider!

whlsarah
24 Jun '16

it’s great! I was using Sumner Road until last week!

comoed
24 Jun '16

If you go through Burgess Park from Peckham library and then turn right so you end up on Glengall Rd you can meet up with the new Q1: quietway 1 (it took me ages to work out what it stood for) that can you can follow through to Bermondsey. It’s a little more segregated than the A2…

comoed
30 Jun '16

So, noone has taken me up on my offer of a guided bike ride into work - however there is another option every Wednesday if you dont mind going solo to Peckham. The LCC do a cycle train starting there. I was reminded about this because I passed it on the way to work yesterday. There were about 6 people in the train.

http://lcc.org.uk/events/cycle-to-work-wednesdays?esid=7211

Also if you dont have a bike, and want to try before you take the plunge - Lewisham offer a Cycle Loan scheme

http://lcc.org.uk/events/lewisham-cycle-loan-scheme

finches
4 Jul '16

Just seen this on cycling news site & thought it would be a good topic for discussion…

Ten reasons why cycling is the best way of getting to your workplace

1. Nothing better clears the head for a day at work than a morning cycle.

2. Equally, nothing focuses the mind quite as much as having to dice with drivers. And if your job involves physical strength all the better – like the Incredible Hulk you get stronger as you get angrier.

3. It beats sitting on a stinky bus.

4. It beats sitting on a stinky train.

5. It beats having to pay for petrol and parking.

6. The smug sense of satisfaction as you pass queuing traffic.

7. The smug sense of satisfaction as you enter your workplace bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (while your colleagues look like death warmed up).

8. Excellent for natural show-offs – what other pastime would let you wear self-illuminating, hi-viz yellow kit in public?

9. Confirms all your prejudices about taxi drivers.

10. Career progression – cycling is the new golf, don’t you know? Pedal up alongside the MD when he’s riding home and chat about your mutual bike love.

Anyone got specific tips & advice to share ?

fran
4 Jul '16

Does anyone cycle in to canary wharf?

comoed
4 Jul '16

@fran I can go that way if you want someone to ride with and dont mind leaving around 7:30

fran
4 Jul '16

I’m just interested in what’s the best way. I’m not a cyclist yet but with two kids and a new job to go back to soon I’m thinking I’m never going to fit in going to the gym and maybe cycling to work is a good option.

comoed
4 Jul '16

The lcc have a pretty good route planner (compared to for example, google maps) the route from Forest Hill to Canary Wharf could be different depending on where you live in Forest Hill - by for example, taking the Waterlink Way, but anyway, here is an example:

http://routes.lcc.org.uk/journey/53155099/#quietest

anon5422159
4 Jul '16

That is v handy @comoed. I never knew such a thing existed. Cheers for sharing.

Sandinista
5 Jul '16

I dusted off my bike for the first time in years today. I need to study those route planners - coming home via Denmark Hill then Lordship Lane was a bit of a shock to the legs…

Taoschno
8 Jul '16

Bike buddies is one of the services that Lewisham Cyclists offers. It’s the Lewisham borough group of the London Cycling Campaign. You don’t have to be a member of London Cycling Campaign to use any of our services. Although we’d recommend that any cyclist obtain third party cover by joining at least one cycling organisation that includes this cover in the membership package. We’re a friendly group with members from all areas of cycling. Lewisham Cyclists

clausy
9 Jul '16

I cycle to Canary Wharf every day. I used to go via Greenwich but the foot tunnel can get a bit annoying because of the lifts and the walking. Something like this via Deptford, Greenwich, Isle of Dogs. 7 miles, takes about 30 mins.

Now I prefer to go via Tower Bridge for example up through Blockley, New Cross, Old Kent Road which avoids both Horniman and the tunnel. It’s a bit further but still fun.

Sometimes I’ll even go via Brixton, Vauxhall and then the new Cycle Superhighway on the Embankment if the weather’s nice :slight_smile:

anon5422159
9 Jul '16

Your mileage is pretty impressive @clausy!

Taoschno
11 Jul '16

Lewisham Cyclists do a Lewisham leg which joins the Southwark Bike Train, led by a qualified cycle instructor. If you want to join it email lewishamcyclists@gmail.com. It leaves from Adenmore Rd between Catford and Catford Bridge Station at 7.40 am, then picks up again at the Eddystone Rd railway bridge which is a few yards south of Crofton Park Station, just off Brockley Rise, at 7.55am to meet up with the Southwark bunch behind the McDonalds on Rye Lane. We then ride off on a pleasant quiet route to the Blackfriars Rd superhighway and up to Blackfriars. Other destinations can be negotiated. It’s not a super fast commute though, but it’s fun and friendly. It’s aimed at folk new to cycle commuting and was conceived as a response to all the hassle over the train route it sort of follows. So, do email Lewisham cyclists if you want to join it. And if it doesn’t fit your commuting destination, but you’d like to try riding to work, you can ask us to help you with that too. Between us, we can arrange routes to practically anywhere in London.

Taoschno
11 Jul '16

Ooh…nearly forgot, Lewisham Cyclists can loan you a bike too, if you don’t want to fork out for one before finding out if you do actually like riding or not.

armadillo
18 Jul '16

Hello Cyclists of SE23 - Given the recent further decline in Southern services and the emergence of our very own sink hole, I’m starting to give some serious though to dusting off my cleats and splashing some cash on a nice little hybrid to carry me to work. Before I do though, does anyone have any suggestions on the best routes from Forest Hill to Aldgate - preferably with the minimum amount of Life & Death action along the way? Thanks.

comoed
18 Jul '16

Hi @armadillo I typed in your route to the lcc route planner, and it told me that this was the quietest route in to your destination - however, I can add a little more quiet to it (with a little more length) by going around the Brockley cycle/ped bridge. When you get your bike, I’m happy to show you a good way in one morning.

armadillo
18 Jul '16

Thanks @comoed - I’ll have a good look at that route once I get home tonight

RachaelDunlop
18 Jul '16

That’s pretty much the route my OH has always done when heading to Liverpool Street / Broadgate.

xav
22 Jul '16

I’ve been cycling to work since early 2011.

All weathers. I don’t mind the rain, but the wind drives me a bit nuts sometimes, especially if it’s blowing stuff in my eyes.

I ride to City road, just after the Old Street roundabout.

From Perry Vale, I do the footbridge over the railway off Brockley Rise, then down past the Rye and then the high street. After the Peckham canal route, I then take the Old Kent Road and on to London Bridge. It only really gets hairy from this point as I mentally try to predict what the other cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, lorries, buses and other loons are going to do next…

I’ve had a few scrapes. Been in the A&E twice (which is very grounding), but I still prefer the ride to standing on the train for half an hour…

Jon_Robinson
28 Jul '16

I’ve recently started again - 10.5 mi miles from De Frene Road (SE26 - Shhh) to Hackney Town Hall.
I have adjusted my route, and stay this side of the railway, Garthorne, and Grierson Rd then over the footbridge, between HOP and Brockley, then turn right down Athenlay Road/Ivydale, straight to Nunhead station, then right and left, down Holydale to Queens Rd Peckham, then right at Carlton Grove, straight onto Naylor Rd, then Green Hundred Rd, right onto Peckham Park Rd, left onto A2, OKR, and imediately right/left onto St James Rd, straight up to go left at Jamaica Rd/Tooley St, right on to Tower Bridge, over Tower Bridge, then right and onto CS2, Royal Mint St, Cable St, then left at Cannon St Rd, straight road then over Commercial Rd, Bethnal Green, and Hackney Rd, up Goldsmiths, and Broadway market, and through London Fields.

Take me an hour 15 ish.

Eleanor_Searle
4 Aug '16

This my first time using this website so i apologies if i am doing this wrong! I have been intending to attempt the cycle into London (my office is in Farringdon) but i am nervous of cycling on the road, especially during rush hour! Has anyone taken you up on this offer… does it even still stand?

Thanks! E

armadillo
4 Aug '16

Completed my first commute in and out of work today - somewhat prompted by the return of the sink hole!! Overall took me about the same time as it would have on the trains but definitely felt more awake for it, and so much better than struggling through rammed buses and the like!

comoed
5 Aug '16

Hi @Eleanor_Searle you picked a good time of year to start cycling, as with the schools out there are a lot less cars on the road. I would be happy to show you a nice way into work. I’m currently on holiday but happy to guide you in on Monday if you are keen.

Taoschno
5 Aug '16

Hi Eleanor. I’m happy to ride with you. I’m a member of Lewisham Cyclists and a trained cycle instructor. In Lewisham Cyclists one of the services we offer is an experienced cycle commuter to accompany new cycle commuters who need support. There’s a good route we can take that avoids a lot of busy traffic. You can email me on lewishamcyclists@gmail.com to sort details