Archived on 6/5/2022

Stefania’s Memorial Service

Michael
11 Jul '19

A Facebook Event has been created with details of the funeral:
Saturday, 20 July 2019 from 10:00-12:00 at Sydenham School

*Click going in the Facebook event to let us know how many refreshments we should cater for (although everyone is of course welcome).

Please join us for this service to commemorate and celebrate the life of our friend Stefania Bada, a big part of our community in Forest Hill, who sadly died on 3rd July in Lewisham Hospital.

About the Service

Sydenham School have kindly allowed us to use their space for the memorial as one of the few spaces locally which can accommodate the potential numbers we anticipate will want to join us.

The service will be led by Rev. Edd Stock, Holy Trinity Church, along with other churches and members of the community as well as Stefania’s loved ones in the UK. However, it is very much for people of all faiths and none who want to remember Stefania.

Can you help?

Many thanks for the incredible generosity of everyone who has been able to contribute to the Go Fund Me. We are hoping that after Stefania’s memorial service/funeral have been paid for, we will still have funds left to help people in Stefania’s position in the future. Please continue to share the Go Fund Me so we can do something in her memory:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/stefanias-memorial-fund

There are still lots of things we need: people to help on the day, support with printing booklets, publicity, music, refreshments. Can you help? Are you a local business that can help with something? Please message us if you have something specific to offer, or join this group of volunteers:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/416461468960000/

anon5422159
12 Jul '19
Pauline
13 Jul '19

I have been asked today by @RevEddStock to help manage the running of Stephanie’s Memorial next Saturday and am very humbled to have been asked to take this on. I have agreed and will do my best to help make Stephanie’s Memorial Service run as smooth as possible.

Edd and Claire have organised everything on their own so far and have done an amazing job.

I would like to ask if anyone in our community could help with volunteering some time to help on the day from 9am onwards.

You can email me direct at sugarmountain.info@gmail.com or PM me on here.

@anon5422159 could you share volunteer help needed via social media channels, thanks P x

anon5422159
13 Jul '19

Done :+1:

Pauline
13 Jul '19

Thanks Chris, much appreciated x

Jassi
13 Jul '19

I am willing to volunteer

Pauline
13 Jul '19

Thank you, could you send me an email contact.

Best wishes
Pauline

Jassi
13 Jul '19

Jasvirdi@hotmail.co.uk

Pauline
13 Jul '19

Thank you, I will send out a group email to all volunteers when all info is passed on to me which will probably be tomorrow.

Thanks
Pauline

RevEddStock
13 Jul '19

Thank you so much Pauline for volunteering to lead with the organisation of the Memorial Service, I know it’s in safe pair of hands.

Pauline
14 Jul '19

I have just emailed you @Jassi

Michael
16 Jul '19

Very nice article in The Standard

sians
16 Jul '19

can anything be done to stop this thread being removed in the next few hours?
It has been an amazing community group - thanks to Claire & Edd - it would be v sad for this thread to be deleted before the event on Sat.

oakr
16 Jul '19

Hi @sians

Threads are rarely, if ever deleted. Posts, if inappropriate, are sometimes moved to moderator actions (and sometimes that can mean a whole thread).

There is no chance of this thread being deleted.

Thanks

Al

sians
16 Jul '19

Thanks Al, But what does it mean when it says (immediately below your reply on this site)
" This topic will be automatically bumped in 3 hours."
I assumed that meant deleted? Or maybe just made harder to find? Can it be bumped back up to starting today?
S

oakr
16 Jul '19

Hi @sians

It means it will be bumped back up to the top of all the topics as if someone has just replied. So in essence it keeps it more prominent (the opposite of what you fear might happen).

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks

Al

sians
16 Jul '19

Thanks for the clarification. S

Pauline
16 Jul '19

@sians I have also just approved you on Stephanie’s Memorial Facebook
Group

.https://www.facebook.com/groups/416461468960000/members/

Pauline

sians
16 Jul '19

Pauline - you, and others, are doing so brilliantly - well done indeed for doing this & renewing faith in human spirit in these mad times of global politics. S x

Pauline
16 Jul '19

Myself and @RevEddStock met to go over some arrangements today, and Claire has been busy doing updates. We are overwhelmed with the generosity of local Businesses, Sydenham School, and others from donating refreshments, the venue to photo frames, printing pictures, and the community still donating. We appreciate all help from everyone and we couldn’t have arranged or held Stephanie’s Memorial without this help from the whole community.

We could still do with a few more volunteers on the day 9am-1pm so please email me if you can help sugarmountain.info@gmail.com

Thanks everyone

system
16 Jul '19
Pauline
19 Jul '19

Myself and @RevEddStock have just finished setting up for Stefanie’s Memorial at Sydenham School, 10am tomorrow.

We look forward to seeing some of you there.

Pauline

robin.orton
20 Jul '19

A memorable and interesting event. Thanks to all involved in organising it.

blushingsnail
20 Jul '19

One of the children left their Tommee Tippee cup behind. It’s now in lost property at FH library.

Pauline
20 Jul '19

Thank you to everyone that came to pay their respects to Stephanie today, my guess is that about 300 attended.

Massive thanks to all the volunteers for all their help today and to @RevEddStock for a beautiful service.

Gypsyjolee
20 Jul '19

It was beautiful. Very, very moving. I thought I had cried all my tears. I had to shoot off just before the end and saw that David was outside. I hope he felt able to join afterwards?
Thanks everyone for all the arrangements and to all that joined the poignant service.

Pauline
20 Jul '19

He came in and saw the end of the service.

Gypsyjolee
20 Jul '19

Thanks for letting me know @Pauline x

Pauline
2 Aug '19

Footage from Stefania’s Memorial that will be part of a documentary that hopefully can help other homeless people in our community in her memory.

https://app.frame.io/presentations/880b90f9-0600-4952-be45-60cfca24597a

ForestHull
2 Aug '19

Hi @Pauline, a very touching and well produced video.

(The site asked me for a passphrase to watch it, but it’s very easy to guess… starts with S ends with ia)

Pauline
2 Aug '19

Yes, we just had to confirm that all were notified that were included with use of pics etc. All good.

Pauline
2 Aug '19

If you know how to put it up please do with my full permission as everyone has agreed. I/m useless when it comes to IT. Thanks

Pauline
2 Aug '19

I can share the password now as everyone has agreed to pics etc - Stefania

Adding this so don’t forget anyone and don’t get myself in trouble.

Speakers:
Rev. Edd Stock
Ruth Lewis
Charly Whyte
Saira Bohan-Croft
Fr Alfred Ogochukwuka Osamor
Margaret Phipps

Volunteers:
Jill Rutter
Christian
and 8 more, will add all names tomorrow as they all deserve credit as all done a brilliant job.

Memorial Fund & Event Coordinators:
Pauline Wright and 10 amazing volunteers. It would not have been possible for me to coordinate this in 5 days without these volunteers.
Clare Lorraine Phipps
Matt Hawkins
Rev.Edd Stock

Photos & Video of Stefania:
Martin Masai Andersen

Thanks to
Sydenham School
Locals and friends of Stefania in Forest Hill

Filmed and Edited by
Marta Velasquez

MARTA VELASQUEZ PRETTY
Lead Editor

VICE
New North Place
London, EC2A 4JA
p: +44 (0) 207 749 7810
m: +44 (0) 7968228446

I will add @TheArchieParker and @HornimanMuseum Café for donating refreshments on the day.

sians
18 Aug '19

Amazing that Stefania touched so many of our lives & really made us think. Thank you for sharing this very well produced video for those of us who could not attend on the day.
Did you know Stefania was the subject of a piece on Radio 4 today (Sunday 18 August) on “From Our Home Correspondent”. I am sure it is available to 'listen again. It starts about 30 seconds into the programme. It made me cry again.
Well done & thank you to all who organised everything. So lovely to see such community spirit.
Yes, we do miss her deeply.

se23blue
18 Aug '19

A link to the programme https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007pxf

sians
18 Aug '19

Donald - thank you for posting this link. Sian

Nadine37
19 Aug '19

Hello

Has any one got the book of when she died I can’t remember what it’s called when they did the memorial at Sydenham Girls or some pictures so I can do a entry on this women.

It’s me Chevonne Henry

Cheers

Pauline
20 Aug '19

Do you mean the order of service that was handed out to guests on the day?

If so, I have a copy and can scan and email it to you if you send me your email address.

Nadine37
22 Aug '19

Hi
Yes I do I lost mine by accident that would be great and any other video footage or picture’s you can grab as I saw some at the memorial.

And please could you give me the grand total so far of the Trust fund and what the community want to do with the money.

I also want to know if there is a forum so that people can put forward what they want the money to go towards after the funneral cost’s like a statue or something.

My email is: (email removed following request) that would be great if you could get back to me.

Regards

Pauline
22 Aug '19

I will email you over the weekend, and share everything with you. Do please make sure you credit everyone with everything I send you if you put it public. Not me, but everyone else please.

Pauline

Nadine37
24 Aug '19

Hello

Yes I will thank’s for sending me the info as I need to get it up.

Regards

AndyS
24 Aug '19

Hi Chevonne - I suggest you edit your post to remove your email address from this public forum. Can’t be too careful, you know.

Pauline
27 Aug '19

Hi Chevonne

I do know you, and recognised who you are from your email, can you please let me know the blog you will be putting this on, just so I can let others know.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I will put things together for you and email you this week.

Best
Pauline