Archived on 6/5/2022

Stolen cat [Found]

Amy_Dewar
11 Dec '19

Dear Forest Hill people,

Our beloved cat was stolen from Rockbourne Road today. He was taken at 13:11 (11th December) by a man (red baseball hat and dark jacket) and woman (wearing a white puffer jacket), strangely the man is carrying a huge toy lion under his arm. We have CCTV footage. They pick up him up and walk up the street with him.

Our cat is very elderly and frail, and doesn’t go far from home these days so will have been very frightened.

Our cat in a medium sized, short haired ginger Tom, no collar (he won’t wear one) but chipped and very much loved.

Please message urgently if you have seen anything.
Thank you
Amy and David

anon5422159
11 Dec '19

@Amy_Dewar so sorry to hear about this harrowing incident.

I’ve shared your post on our social channels:

Rishi_Ramjit
12 Dec '19

Amy

I came across the couple yesterday . The man and the woman was waiting for the bus.

It was at the bus stop on the A205 Stanstead road towards catford next to Jenner practice. It was before 14.00.

Rishi

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

Thanks Rishi, that’s really helpful. I guess they didn’t have the cat at this point? Thanks for posting
BW
Amy x

hurljy
12 Dec '19

That is horrible, I hope you get him back! It might be helpful to post a couple of pics of your cat so we can keep an eye out for him.

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

Thank you
Here he is

marymck
12 Dec '19

Amy: what an awful thing. So sorry. Have you shared the CCTV footage with the police? Were the couple on your property or on the pavement? If they came on your proprety I don’t see why you can’t share the footage on here. But the moderators could advise.

Rishi: Did they have the toy lion at the bus stop? If not maybe they were at a children’s party nearby.

That would really narrow down the search as it’s such a tight area to cover. Maybe put up some posters? Or involve any local Neighbourhood Watch groups.

Carol
12 Dec '19

Just awful. Are you able to share the video footage?

anon5422159
12 Dec '19

A post was split to a new topic: Sharing images/video of suspects on SE23.life?

Audrey_Finch
12 Dec '19

Even if they’re on the pavement you can share - they’re in a public place.

ForestHull
12 Dec '19

Personally I would first report this to the police and give them a copy of the footage. It’s possible that the couple are already known to police or have done this before or even again, for example.

If that doesn’t go anywhere, then I would consider sharing the footage or stills in order to further the investigation.

PAULMURPHY
12 Dec '19

When you say walk up the street…in what direction?..towards Forest Hill…or Catford?..

marymck
12 Dec '19

Different rules and, importantly for the owner of the camera, different responsibilities apply. Guidance here:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

If you want to go public with the imsge, maybe one way to handle it is to put up a poster of an image your cat captured by CCTV that “happens” to include the couple with the cat in their arms. If you use the word “missing” rather than “stolen” it’s up to others to interpret. I think local posters are the way to go, whether or not at this stage you think about including or mentioning the CCTV footage or just a photo of your cat. From what’s been said so far it sounds as if they may have given him to some local child.

Maybe even consider saying “No questions asked for speedy, safe return”?

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

They walked towards Forest Hill/ Rojack Road walking from the Stanstead Road end of Rockbourne

Beige
12 Dec '19

Have you spoke to the police? Your CCTV + the bus stop sighting might be enough to get them to check the bus CCTV and swipe logs…

marymck
12 Dec '19

If that’s the bus stop I think it is TFL has a camera on it.

Timmo44
12 Dec '19

If they got on the bus their identity is traceable via their Oyster or contactless card.

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

Thanks everyone, I’ve been to the Police; they have reported it but can’t act as there is no clear face views on CCTV. They have passed to the neighbourhood team, and advised me to go to shops etc for CCTV which I’m doing shortly, as well as posters. The local vets know and I am going to record him as stolen on the cat chip company. Thanks everyone.

Rishi_Ramjit
12 Dec '19

Amy

I didn’t see the cat. I only saw the people matching the description.

While I was at the intersection behind a few cars waiting for the lights to turn green. The lion toy attracted my attention.

The woman was sitting on the wall next to the bus stop with the toy next to her. I also noticed that the man had a white carry bag.

I am sure that the police can request the recorded images from the bus company.

Rishi

Edd
12 Dec '19

I am so sorry I can’t help. I’ve said hi to your cat a few times. He’s a lovely old chap, and I hope he gets back to you.

PAULMURPHY
12 Dec '19

Hey Amy…the bus route has two buses 171 + 185 run by London Central Buses Tel: 020 8545 6100…closed at the moment…there is more than a good chance they will have footage…

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

Thank you will try this tomorrow x

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

Thank you. This is really helpful x

Amy_Dewar
12 Dec '19

We have him back!!! He was found by some really lovely people on the other side of Forest Hill- thank you everyone. We are so happy to have him home safely xxxx😻

oakr
12 Dec '19

What a brilliant update and well done to the people who found him and all involved above!

MackemJo
12 Dec '19

I am so happy for you, this has been on my mind so much as I know how devastated I would be. I hope he is ok and recovering with you!

anon5422159
12 Dec '19

Amazing news, I’m so pleased he’s back! Well done to everyone who helped make this happen.

depeche
12 Dec '19

Amazing!

Carol
12 Dec '19

Just the best news. What a beautiful cat.

James1P
12 Dec '19

That’s made my day! Very happy for you.

marymck
12 Dec '19

That’s brilliant news! If cats could talk, hey? What an adventure he’s been on. I bet he won’t leave your side now. :grinning:

Ryan
12 Dec '19

Glad to hear he has been found. I see him regularly hanging out on the pavement but not for a while. Be good to see him again.

willmorgan
12 Dec '19

Glad he’s back from his adventure and happy he has a home. My partner and I give him a bit of fuss whenever we see him down that way.

PiliSG
13 Dec '19

Fantastic news !

Anotherjohn
13 Dec '19

MEEEEOOWWWWW!!!

So happy for the cat and for your family.
Now I believe in Father Christmas!

maxrocks
13 Dec '19

brilliant news! but why on earth would someone steal an elderly cat that isn’t a pedigree breed?
its the thought of such heartless idiotic people out and about on our streets that causes me distress.
who on earth goes “I know-for a laugh lets steal a family pet and dump it somewhere away from home”
just awful! :cry: