Archived on 6/5/2022

Stolen VW Caddy van

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

UPDATE: we have pictures of him from CCTV! Does anybody know this thief?!

My partner’s grey VW Caddy van was stolen from outside the flat in the early hours this morning. They’ve been trying to use his bank cards in shops on Dartmouth Road this morning, and later in Brockley.

The van was full of camping gear which they may dump - a blue IKEA bag full of beige and blue bedding, calling chairs, a white drive-away awning, kitchen unit, gas burner and bottle, walking boots - so if anyone sees either the van or the kit, please get in touch!

We desperately want the van back - it’s needed for work, had important paperwork inside, and was going to be our summer holiday :frowning:

Also posted on NextDoor.

applespider
24 Jun '21

So sorry to hear that - and do hope you get it back!

ForestHull
24 Jun '21

Sorry to hear this @Lucie_Mussett. Is that the actual reg of the van in the picture, just to check?

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

Yes, that’s the one.

ForestHull
24 Jun '21

I’ve shared on :twitter: @SE23.life (5,200 followers) - I hope you find the van or your belongings :crossed_fingers:

Bolgerp
24 Jun '21

Can you say what street or area it was stolen from?

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

Dartmouth Road, close to the library.

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

Thank you!

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

UPDATE: we have his face from cctv! Holding my partner’s wallet, trying to use his cards, and wearing his watch and t shirt!

GillB
24 Jun '21

Have the police seen this? Really hope they catch up with him, & you get your car back.

Lucie_Mussett
24 Jun '21

They haven’t been in touch yet :frowning:

GillB
24 Jun '21

Well fingers crossed, they do ASAP.

marymck
25 Jun '21

So sorry this happened. I’d suggest PM @PC_Kemal who posts on this site and seems really helpful and sincere.

You have such good CCTV pictures and there’s always the chance that this chap is so reckless he might be known to the police. He’s either not very bright or he wants to be arrested. In the first image he seems to look at the camera. He then waves the wallet around and goes on to present the watch to camera. And he’s wearing the t-shirt (which I’d burn after the trial)!

Short of actually carrying the numberplate or having having a big bag marked swag it’s hard to imagine how he could look more guilty.

Lucie_Mussett
25 Jun '21

Thank you Mary. I don’t know how to PM on here, but perhaps they’ll see this since you tagged them? I hope so. Adam rang the Met again this morning but we’re still ok a basic processing queue I think.

marymck
25 Jun '21

I have PM’d @PC_Kemal and I really hope he can help you.
I think actually the term is DM rather than PM … but I don’t know what DM means, other than a rather ugly pair of boots.

Anotherjohn
25 Jun '21

I pm’d PC Kemal regarding an anti-social behaviour issue recently and he came back to me within a couple of days - and with great willingness to help.
Fingers crossed for @Lucie_Mussett and her partner :crossed_fingers:t3: :crossed_fingers:t3: :crossed_fingers:t3:

ChrisR
25 Jun '21

Hi Lucie. As the Safe Neighbourhood Team (SNT) work shifts PC Kemal may not always be on duty to respond however on a previous post he suggested emailing both him and the Forest Hill SNT team on ForestHill.SNT@met.police.uk and p238302@met.police.uk so I would do that as well giving all the details and the crime report reference that you got when first reporting the theft.

Hope you get some good news soon.

Lucie_Mussett
26 Jun '21

Thank you - I’ve emailed these addresses now. Here’s hoping!

Audrey_Finch
26 Jun '21

If he’s so idiotic as to do this so locally to his crime you’d hope he’d be on the easier end to catch.

Hope the police respond quickly so they can strike while the irons hot, as they say. They couldn’t ask for a clearer image.

Wearing the t-shirt and watch is just plain odd.

ForestHull
26 Jun '21

Just a word of caution here, but it may be best not to assume the guy with the clothes, watch and stolen cards is also the person that stole the van. It’s entirely possible that the van thief had no interest in the contents and dumped, gifted or sold the contents that somehow ended up with the guy in the CCTV.

I believe credit card fraud is still a crime which should be investigated, and certainly identifying the individual to police so that he can be interviewed under caution could help find the van, but it’s best not to make too many assumptions about an individual’s involvement at this stage.

Lucie_Mussett
26 Jun '21

You’re right - he may not have taken the van but using stolen cards is still a crime

Lucie_Mussett
26 Jun '21

Thank you all so much for your concern and support. We think we have some key info now, so will take these posts down so as not to alert to him. If anything material comes of it, I’ll post an update. I really appreciate everyone’s help :slight_smile:

applespider
26 Jun '21

Best of luck. Hope you get the van back!

Lucie_Mussett
27 Jun '21

Can anyone tell me how I can delete this post? Can’t see an option, and it’s not covered in the FAQs…

ForestHull
27 Jun '21

Hi - I’ll send you a message.