Archived on 6/5/2022

Street food at the Waldram Crescent site

FashionClearance
29 Oct '19

Anybody else noticed the new offerings from the Waldram Crescent site ?
Anyone tried it out ?
It’s situated where the old Portakabin site was.
Seems like the new occupiers wear many hats there and there’s lots going on ?

anon17648011
30 Oct '19

Each to their own, but why anybody would want to purchase food from a portakabin in a car park on the South Circular when you can get all the items listed here within 50 metres from D&D Carribean Takeaway (Perry Vale next to Clapton Craft) or the Cafe next door to the Portakabin site (Cafe at No 1) both of which I’ve used and can recommend, is beyond me.

But hey maybe this is what the world has been crying out for - a car wash-second hand car dealer-food emporium… :roll_eyes:

FashionClearance
30 Oct '19

:joy: you forget to mention they are also a storage place for sending barrels abroad too !

se23blue
30 Oct '19

And the appropriate licences from Lewisham council ?

FashionClearance
30 Oct '19

:woman_shrugging:t3: I’m sure Lewisham council are just grateful the space is occupied by this varied lot of ‘entrepreneurs’ rather then the previous illegal guests we had there. Choose your battles I suppose.
I will say something though , it’s all a bit unsightly IMO.

se23blue
30 Oct '19

Even if rates & rent are not being paid ?

John_Wilson
31 Oct '19

The previous ‘guests’ were messy, noisy and the thefts in the area went up at that time. I guess even without them having permits (they certainly didn’t apply for change of use permits) they are better neighbours

Clair
2 Nov '19

Are you saying no one pays to use the land @se23blue ?
This was up for £50,000 + per annum.

ForestHull
2 Nov '19

I guess rent is one thing, but there should be appropriate licencing and ‘business rates’ paid to the council too.

There should then be some expectation/inspection of working conditions and food hygiene for example.

That said these may well have been applied for already…

John_Wilson
12 Nov '19

@ForestHull licensing requires permission and notification of neighbours doesn’t it? We certainly haven’t been told

YorkshireLad
8 Jun '20

Will have to take a photo, but there’s a notice of proposed development on the former portakabin site/current car wash/used car place. From memory, flats and maybe some retail at the bottom of it?

se23blue
8 Jun '20

original plans 2018

DevonishForester
9 Jun '20

Used tyre storage?

ForestHull
9 Jun '20

It looks like DC/20/116403 is seeking amendments to the previously granted planning permission to make a few changes in light of Kido expressing interest in taking the whole commercial space for use as a nursery (class D1) for up to 100 children.

The submitted ‘Planning statement addendum’ makes the case for allowing D1 use and also some structural changes to the previous design, adapting it better for nursery use:

Given the proximity to the station, it’s an excellent location for a nursery and could bring further footfall to an area which seems to struggle a bit with quality commercial premises, though has definitely been improving.

Presently there is one registered objection on the Lewisham planning website.

ForestHull
9 Jun '20

Note the previously granted planning permission was discussed here: Proposed Development at Portakabin Site, Waldram Crescent - Drop-in Meeting

Swagger
9 Jun '20

This post was flagged and is temporarily hidden.

wmorgan1
31 Mar '21

Site being cleared.

ForestHull
31 Mar '21

Great to see them burning their waste before they go :rage: