Archived on 6/5/2022

Summary emails on hold [now available via opt in]

anon5422159
24 May '18

I’m sure everyone’s excited to hear more GDPR-related news… so I’ll keep it brief:

SE23.life sends out summary emails to all members automatically. Under the new GDPR regulations this is no longer allowed as a default, and instead, users must give their explicit consent.

So for now, summary emails are switched off altogether, which is a pity.

We’ll offer a way to opt back in to these mails soon.

RachaelDunlop
25 May '18

Oh, that’s interesting. I opted out of those emails prettty promptly and had forgotten they existed. Do you find they direct much traffic back to the site? I guess they also have value in terms of generally maintaining profile and engagement. Hope you find a solution soon.

anon5422159
25 May '18

I wish I could answer that but I also shut down Google Analytics on the basis of GDPR too… :sweat:

Having said that, Google Analytics probably wouldn’t have given accurate info in any case as the links in summary emails didn’t include any distinct tracking info.

robin.orton
25 May '18

What is a summary email?

maggie2016
25 May '18

What’s the gdpr please

anon5422159
25 May '18

Summary emails were sent automatically by the site to members every week, and included excerpts from the most popular topics and posts, with a link back to the forum to read more.

They were configurable in your user preferences.

anon5422159
25 May '18

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Whilst I agree with the spirit of the law, the implementation is problematic - especially for non-profit websites and small enterprises - because the law is ambiguously defined and the penalties for non-compliance are draconian.

We have more detailed discussion on GDPR in our opt-in @geeks section.

blushingsnail
25 May '18

As an infrequent visitor to this site I actually liked the summary e-mails! Not sure I got one weekly though - perhaps once a month?

anon5422159
4 Jun '18

Good news: You can now opt back in: How to receive regular email summaries of interesting topics on SE23.life

anon5422159
4 Jun '18