Archived on 6/5/2022

Summer Reading Challenge at FH Library

Pauline
15 Jul '17

This is FREE & fun for all the local kids, and a great way to encourage them to read books with lots of free goodies too :hugs::hugs::hugs:

https://readingagency.org.uk/children/quick/?utm_content=bufferbb80e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Pauline
16 Jul '17

Amazing that so many kids have signed up already :books::heart::books::heart:

Parents beware the FREE scratch & sniff stickers stink :joy:

On a serious note the Summer Reading Challenge really helps kids to keep up their reading skills throughout the Summer Holidays.

armadillo
16 Jul '17

I’ve already promised to bring my boy down next weekend to sign up :+1:

Whoever is on duty, I can only apologise now for an over excited 5yr old who will do practically anything (even the washing up) if theres a sticker involved :slight_smile:

Pauline
16 Jul '17

He’s a lovely lad, please bring him in to tell me about his stickers :+1::+1:

Pauline
17 Jul '17

“it was 52 by the end of Sunday. We were in the lead :laughing::v:” That’s for Lewisham Libraries.

So FH Library are in the lead with the most signed up for the #SummerReadingChallenge this year. :+1:

I would be so so happy if we could hit the biggest target in our first year as a community library. :slight_smile:

Can you help us make this a first for a community library - Come on Forest Hill let’s do this :+1::+1::+1:

Sign your kids up now!

Michael
19 Jul '17

I signed up number 97 this evening. The children are loving the challenge, the stickers, the rewards, and even the books :slight_smile:

And we are still getting more volunteers helping out, but we still need more volunteers for the odd morning/afternoon/evening, especially during the summer holidays - when so many people are away. So if you can spare a few hours a week, please pop into the library and join the team that are making this community library a success.

Pauline
19 Jul '17

Brilliant!

The kids are sure loving the stinky scratch & sniff stickers :heart_eyes:

Volunteers can apply here info@fhlibrary.co.uk

You’d be crazy not to get involved & help with this fun challenge for the local kids if you have the time to volunteer over the Summer Hols :books::heart:️:books::heart:️:books::heart:

Fun, free, & fab :+1:

Pauline
21 Jul '17

Just popped into the library to do some printing after work & signed up number 134 for the Reading Challenge & also gave rewards to a kid from Eliot Bank School for reading book number 4 :books::heart:

Pauline
23 Jul '17

195 kids signed up by the end of today :slight_smile:

Thanks for the swift update from our assistant library manager @Bruceshire :+1:

ETA That was from 164 at the end of yesterday :books::heart:

Bruceshire
23 Jul '17

A Big Thank You to Volunteers Michelle, Cara and Katherine for being so great with the kids this weekend!
I even signed a few up myself this afternoon. The kids are loving it. It’s gonna be a busy first week of school holidays at the Library. :books::smiley:

Bruceshire
24 Jul '17

I’ve been informed by @Michael who was Volunteering at FHLibrary this evening that we’ve reached around 240 kids registered for The Summer Reading Challenge. It’s only been 10 days since it launched! :sunglasses::books:

Pauline
24 Jul '17

Absolutely brilliant @Michael & @Bruceshire so so proud of our #forestHill #SE23 kids signing up :books::heart:

400 by Friday I think :heart_eyes::books::+1:

Looking forward to number checks when I open Saturday & Sunday :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Just a reminder extra volunteers are needed over the Summer Hols.

Contact us on info@fhlibrary.co.uk or reply or PM here :+1:

Michael
24 Jul '17

It was really busy this afternoon with new members signing up, children getting rewards for reading books, and choosing new books from quite a good selection of fiction and non-fiction.
All the volunteers did a fantastic job.
And i still had time to meet the owner of the house my best friend lived in until 1997. I have often wondered who lived there now - and now i know.

You can meet your neighbours and your children’s friends too by becoming a library volunteer!

Bruceshire
25 Jul '17

We ended today at 7.30pm on 274 Kids registered for Summer Reading Challenge. Looking forward to another busy day tomorrow and meeting more of the kids who are so enthusiastic about the written word. :books::heart_eyes::sunglasses:

Pauline
25 Jul '17

So proud, brilliant work Stephan & all our volunteers
:books: :heart: :books: :heart: :+1:

If anyone wants to join our merry gang of volunteers you can do here info@fhlibrary.co.uk
When I tell the local kids about the rewards they get for reading books for #SummerReadingChallenge they get a bit enthusiastic :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Here’s the real kids :heart_eyes:

starman
26 Jul '17

Wow. Well done.

Pauline
26 Jul '17

Over 300 kids signed up now!

And they are more engrossed in their books than their sweets :lollipop::lollipop:

That’s a first :books::heart::books::heart::books::heart:

Bruceshire
27 Jul '17

We reached 324 Kids signed up before I closed this evening and quite a few coming in to claim their 2nd, 3rd & 4th Rewards! They really are Story Hungry! :books:

Also, Leah called me out of the blue to say she was coming in to do Baby Bounce after I’d posted on Twitter that it had been cancelled. We had a record 13 babies in this afternoon. She also stayed til 6 to sign up more kids and and listen to talking about their returned books. I think I might cancel it again! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just want to take this opportunity to say Thank You to all the Volunteers who are getting stuck in and enjoying helping the kids with the Summer Reading Challenge. Well Done Guys!! :heart_eyes:

Pauline
27 Jul '17

Well done you too!

Massive thanks Stephan :books::heart:️:books::heart:

Pauline
28 Jul '17

343 kids have now signed up by the end of this evening!

Massive thanks to @Bruceshire & all our amazing volunteers for supporting us on this & for being so brilliant with the local kids.

Very much appreciated :books::heart::+1:

Here’s more happy kids :slight_smile:

Bruceshire
30 Jul '17

Mekhyla has just let me know that the figure is 360.

I expected it to slow down a bit, since some of the kids will already be on holiday. We might get another rush during the next couple of weeks.

Steve xx

Pauline
30 Jul '17

I think so, D Rd was very quiet today - almost like a ghost town!

Think it will be more busy during week days :over the next couple of weeks :slight_smile:

Stop doing library work & enjoy your week off :sunglasses::sunny:️:sunglasses::sunny:️ Xx

Bruceshire
30 Jul '17

I’m trying to! :grin: Recovering from the drive up here yesterday.

I just want to BIG UP @Europcar_UK in Lewisham for a moment. I was expecting a Vauxhall Corsa, but the vehicle that turned up was more than a surprise.

Lazy day here in Skegness. Sunshine and Rain on and off all day. Tomorrow, off to the beach, ice cream (not as good as yours though @Pauline), roller coaster, carousel & donkey rides. And that’s just me! :swimming_man:t2::icecream::roller_coaster::ferris_wheel::horse:

You’ll probably not hear from me for the rest of the week except on my own Twitter account.

Catch Ya Later Guys! xx

Pauline
30 Jul '17

Have fun, you certainly deserve it & hope not to hear from you xx

Hope you & the family have a fab holibreak :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Meanwhile if anyone wants to join our merry gang of library volunteers you can do here info@fhlibrary.co.uk of pop into the library or my shop & fill out a form the old fashioned way :+1:

Pauline
4 Aug '17

397 kids have signed up so far for #SummerReadingChallenge when I checked this morning at the library.

It’s running till mid September, join in with the :books::heart:

More happy kids reading yesterday :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Pauline
4 Aug '17

I’ll be making a collage with #SummerReadingChallenge pics either myself @Simon & @Bruceshire have taken (that we have permission from parents & kids to use) to be displayed in the kids library at the end of the challenge to show their achievements and enthusiasm at various stages & to let them all know we are all so proud of all of them for taking part regardless If they read 1 or 6 books.

So if your kid is not signed up already but would like to be in the collage they still can be until mid September.

I’m really proud of all the local kids taking part, they are quire amazing :books::heart:

Pauline
6 Aug '17

415 yesterday morning, just saying :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Pauline
12 Aug '17

436 kids signed up when I opened this morning :books::heart::books::heart:

It’s not too late to sign the kids up, still another month to go :+1:

And more kids loving the Summer Reading Challenge :sunglasses::sunglasses:

The kids are loving the scratch and sniff stickers.

Pauline
19 Aug '17

So many happy kids & almost 500 signed up!

Happy kids = happy me

Love it!

Massive thanks to all our volunteers for doing an amazing job - they are quiet special to say the least, and deserve so much recognition for all they do.

Without our volunteers we wouldn’t have our library as it is today :heart::heart:

Pauline
26 Aug '17

Woohoo!

We now have 521 Animal Agents in Forest Hill :books::heart: