Archived on 6/5/2022

Superdrug (ex M&Co)

Ed
13 Dec '16

Following on from the failed Morrison’s bid, M&Co looks set to become a Superdrug (if this planning application is anything to go by).

The application (granted) is pretty boring, and relates only to an illuminated shop sign at the front of the store.

I guess a suitable, albeit unexciting, use for the site. Wonder how badly Boots will suffer.

LEON
13 Dec '16

I hope this does not undermine Boots. That store was identified as a potential closure many years ago. Whilst it is relatively small it does help to anchor that part of the retail offer on Dartmouth Rd.

starman
13 Dec '16

Does Superdrug have a pharmacy?

LEON
13 Dec '16

Some do

Pauline
13 Dec '16

There were many reasons why Morrisons would not have been viable in that location and it was myself and @stefan74uk that set up the initial petition to go against this which was then followed up by FH Society on planning issues.

I would much rather see an independent rather than a chain move into this site, but that probably wouldn’t happen due to the size, business rates etc etc…

Ed
13 Dec '16

The proposed ground floor plan within the application doesn’t seem to include a pharmacy area, so perhaps not. Maybe Boots will be ok after all!

Anotherjohn
13 Dec '16

Could the Boots store be a sustainable business if it lost a big chunk of its normal retail profits to a larger, better located and better-stocked competitor only a stone’s throw away? Regrettably, I doubt it - but I really hope I’m wrong.

starman
13 Dec '16

I have to admit that one and only time I was in the Boots I was sorely unimpressed.

RachaelDunlop
13 Dec '16

I always forget that Boots is there. In the 17 years we have lived in FH I think I’ve used it twice.

Chipcity
13 Dec '16

I agree and I was never impressed by that branch of Boots and preferred to use the independent offerings. If done well I think that a superdrug of that size could increase the footfall.

Pauline
13 Dec '16

I also agree with the last few posts, I’ve went to buy things from Boots in the past and they have never had what I needed :frowning:

Pauline
13 Dec '16

So if this becomes “Superdrug”
What if Home Accessories becomes say “TK Max” or “H & M” or anything similar.
Followed by The Capitol becoming a cinema
A bakery on D Rd
And a music School too

That would be awesome, but that’s me just hoping & wishing I think :slight_smile:

Wynell
13 Dec '16

I think we should have a nail bar and a hair salon :laughing:

Londondrz
14 Dec '16

I still think a Foxton would be great, not only would we have a nice shiny office but the dry cleaners would make a fortune from cleaning the shiny suits. Pity the cobblers has gone as he would make a fortune from brown Polish.

rbmartin
14 Dec '16

The Boots in Dartmouth Road is the worst store I’ve ever been in. It only has a small selection of products, closes between 1-2pm etc.

Boots and Superdrug co-exist in Sydenham and Penge with no real issues.

Unlike Morrisons who wanted to make dramatic changes and would have been a major inconvenience with regards to deliveries, Superdrug will be a welcome addition.

Anotherjohn
22 Dec '16

Is this a done deal?
If so, any news on when it’s opening?

Ed
31 Dec '16

Is this a done deal?

Judging by the closing down sale signs at M&Co, looks like it.

Haven’t heard anything official re dates though.

simonk133
14 Feb '17

So I assume Superdrug has been approved and that accounts for the very rapid closure and gutting of the unit? (Edit: yes I see from the original application link that it was indeed granted)

Pauline
18 Feb '17

Work seems to be getting done very quickly on this, I wouldn’t be surprised if Superdrug opens in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

Andy
13 May '17

Does anyone have an update on the vacancy?

Ed
13 May '17

Work is definitely underway - demolition stage finished. At the moment they seem to be focussing on the roof and basement. Seems to be taking forever though…

bigmacca1
15 Jun '17

Hello,
Walked down London Rd tonight pass the old M&co, Whats happening there the shop been gutted out ,
But no sign of any work going on ? Thought it was going to be a Superdrug store?
These big company’s normally put a team of Builders in working all hours and before you know it there open?

Very strange any heard anything ??,

anon5422159
15 Jun '17

I’ve merged your post into the existing topic

maxrocks
30 Jun '17

what IS happening.
the shop is gutted but work appears to have stopped.
All a bit bleak and sad to be honest.

simonk133
5 Jul '17

They gutted the shop very rapidly but it now seems to have been abandoned. Uncollected mail by the door, a cracked window and no sign of life.

anon22025233
5 Jul '17

The gutting I guess may have been a contractual obligation of the previous leaseholders. Maybe Superdrug have given up, or their application was speculative. Shame if so.

rbmartin
12 Jul '17

I noticed what appeared to be stuff from a homeless person outside the shop door this evening. Food, blanket etc.

maxrocks
12 Jul '17

I finish work very late and I must confess at 11pm the recessed doorway was somewhat threatening for a lone woman to walk past.
for the past three nights theres been a gathering of people there.
smoking drugs, boozing argueing.
I think a few people have now set up camp there.
it doesn’t feel safe and it is tbh now a bit of an eyesore with the flyposters graffiti and camp in the doorway.

Michael
12 Jul '17

Call the local police on 101. They can issue dispersal orders for anti-social drinking. But they need to be aware of the pattern of issues rather than just relying on their own eyes.

Ed
14 Jul '17

There hasn’t been any activity there for about a month. Last time anybody was around it was the demolition crew doing the last bits and pieces and clearing up. The chap told me he didn’t think it would be long before the shop fitting people were in. It does seem surprising that it is taking so long now that they are ready for the ‘easy’ bit…

Agree that the makeshift homeless camp is a bit of an eyesore. They (or at least one of them - the young guy with the long hair) are fairly friendly though.

Michael
14 Jul '17

I suspect that with their recent announcement of expansion plans, that their shopfitters are working at other sites and will be coming to Forest Hill soon.
They are still recruiting for staff which does indicate that they still plan to open.

starman
14 Jul '17

Well hopefully a completed Superdrug will stop the vagrancy in their doorstep.

anon5422159
14 Jul '17
anon10646030
15 Jul '17

Don’t you love social media when it actually gives you definite answers, will hold out to cover my grey hair till then

Susie_Smith
17 Jul '17

Really? This is probably the last thing the high street needs, we have Boots and Sainsbury’s. How boring and not really moving the area forward in anyway. Plus there is one is Sydenham - who makes these ridiculous choices. Very disappointing.

Londondrz
17 Jul '17

Boots stock is very small and easily disappoints. Ditto with Sainsbury’s although slightly larger. Not everyone want to go to Sydenham. Dont forget, you could have got another estate agents, nail bar or fast food shop.

maxrocks
19 Aug '17

I wish it had opened as a good organic and health food shop with in house cafe that would have been wonderful.
I find super drug pretty pointless because I get what they stock in Boots or Sainsbury.

Fran_487
20 Aug '17

Nah Superdrug’ll be good on balance. Sainsbury’s line in make-up and specific semi-pharmaceuticals doesn’t meet the mark, and Boots is pretty poor. I think this’ll be a useful addition.

HannahM
21 Aug '17

I think Superdrug will be a good addition - the Boots is tired and old fashioned.

rbmartin
23 Aug '17

I’m also looking forward to Superdrug. Saves me going to Sydenham and Penge.

appletree
23 Aug '17

I agree. The Boots is tiny and poorly stocked.

Pauline
23 Aug '17

I think Superdrug will be a good addition to FH High Street & help increase footfall - It could have been a lot worse & another chain could have taken on this unit that would take business away from independents.

I won’t deny I would prefer an independent business, but this would never happen with this unit in my opinion due to high rents & business rates.

I’m looking forward to it opening :slight_smile:

anon64893700
24 Aug '17

Is there any official confirmation of Superdrugs moving in there ? Did tweet them a while back and they said they would check but never got back.

Just hoping this isn’t all empty hope now.

RachaelDunlop
24 Aug '17

Yes, see post above. They tweeted to confirm opening date of 29th September.

anon64893700
24 Aug '17

Aaah cheers for that, not sure how I missed it. Clock is ticking, but I guess shop fitters are quick as anything, gut, facia, and a couple of weeks of making pretty.

Some good news there then :slight_smile:

Ed
31 Aug '17

So heard on the grapevine today that Superdrug may not be opening after all. The thinking is that they are concerned about servicing and delivery arrangements, as theoretically delivery lorries shouldn’t be stopping on Havelock Walk (double red lines).

If Superdrug don’t take on the unit, any good ideas for a suitable replacement we should try to encourage (bearing in mind the limitations on delivery access etc)?

anon64893700
31 Aug '17

Would have thought that would all have been considered a long time ago, especially with the opening scheduled for 4 weeks time.
Guess we will have to wait and see

Michael
31 Aug '17

Grapevines are often wrong about these things. One of the main planning objections to Morrisons taking the site was deliveries. It would be surprising if, at this stage, Superdrug feel it would be too difficult for them as they should not require as many deliveries as a shop with fresh produce.

But if all options are on the table again then i think a high street clothing store would be great - perhaps Gap or Primark or M&Co. Let’s just hope something opens soon.

starman
31 Aug '17

An antique market… thus confirming Forest Hill as a antique/retro centre for South London.

Pauline
31 Aug '17

I agree, and if there were safety issues with deliveries etc that would be detrimental to residents on Havelock Walk & in general I would look to go against it in whatever way possible!

https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10295&page=7

ETA Myself & @stefan74uk were the ones that set up the original petition to go against Morrisons for various reasons & FH Society stepped in & managed to stop it - for all the right reasons. I was banned from posting on that site at the time, so sadly Stefan had to take the flack from everyone without me being able to help out - but I think he done a fab job :+1:

appletree
1 Sep '17

I would still like a Superdrug because the Boots is useless.

Bolgerp
1 Sep '17

It’s high time we had a Waitrose in FH… I need some new quotes to post to “Overheard in Waitrose” on Facebook.

anon22025233
1 Sep '17

They’re still advertising for positions on their website it looks like.
http://www.superdrug.jobs/vacancies/vacancy_team_leader_new_store_opening_610706_31.html?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Although perhaps more telling is that it’s no longer linked to the main site. So might be an old page.

Londondrz
1 Sep '17

Iceland is where it is at these days. The store that is!

Ed
1 Sep '17

Cool. Hopefully the social media team are up to date!

I agree, and if there were safety issues with deliveries etc that would be detrimental to residents on Havelock Walk & in general I would look to go against it in whatever way possible!

HW have been in touch with Superdrug about the delivery issues in order to get an idea of volume etc, as it is obviously of some concern (particularly in relation to emergency access, pedestrian safety and so on). That’s where the cancelled opening rumour came from…

anon64893700
1 Sep '17

I guess local concern, and an actual issue between the retailer and the council / road management, are two different things.
Other retailers manage fine there, with deliveries etc. Hardly the first location on a busy road to get deliveries after all.

Guess its wait and see now. For it to open on the 29th, I am sure the work will start soon. In fact for a date to have ever been set, I would think most issues would have been considered and overcome.

I know someone who will be delighted for it to open!

Foresthillnick
1 Sep '17

I am glad the site is going to be used but I cannot get excited about it. I highly doubt I will ever use it but I hope it is a valuable addition to the street for others.

anon64893700
1 Sep '17

It’s one of those shops that creeps up on you lol. One good offer on toiletries and you are hooked… so I am told! lol

Bolgerp
1 Sep '17

I have been known to go into a Boots or a Superdrug for some toothpaste and come out having spent £50 on other essential items I didn’t know I needed!

anon64893700
1 Sep '17

I think it is possible you may be female mate lol.

Seriously though, I have done the same. In fairness to SD they do have some cracking deals. Lets see how popular it will be.

Bolgerp
1 Sep '17

I am a sucker for marketing, I have to say… you should see me in the fragrance section at duty free!!

starman
1 Sep '17

Seriously… he is instore marketers dream client!

Let’s not fall into binary gender-specific roles, eh?

anon64893700
1 Sep '17

LMAO sorry, don’t want this thread ending up in Politicos

rbmartin
7 Sep '17

While Superdrug is mainly know for selling Boots type products, they also sell a small selection of household items like loo rolls, kitchen/bathroom spray etc which will make it an alternative to Sainsbury’s for some products.

anon64893700
8 Sep '17

Indeed. Their name is slightly misleading. Not long now!

Ed
8 Sep '17

Still no sign of life. Would be very surprised if they managed to open on 29th.

anon64893700
23 Sep '17

This time next week…

Maybe not eh!

Ed
23 Sep '17

There has been some work going on in the basement over the past week or so. Only tends to be one guy though, so I’m not really sure what’s going on. Certainly not full steam ahead!

Michael
23 Sep '17

I’m sure we can have a big opening party and post it on Twitter. Perhaps it might get a response from Superdrudgers.

anon5422159
27 Sep '17

Forest Hillers - keep your eyes peeled and don’t blink. A Guiness-World-Record-Breaking fit-out is about to happen: :astonished:

RachaelDunlop
27 Sep '17

@anon64893700 should tweet them his pictures and get them to check again.

Unless they are actually opening in another, super-secret FH location…

Michael
27 Sep '17

I think it is their prettiest store in the country. I’m sure they are very proud of the range of produce available.

Pauline
27 Sep '17

I look forward to shopping on Friday :joy::joy:

starman
27 Sep '17

Under the Stag and Bow?

Pauline
27 Sep '17

Couldn’t resist a reply on twitter :rofl:

rbmartin
27 Sep '17

So good of Superdrug to let the fly posters stay up.

applespider
27 Sep '17

I have a friend who works in store fitouts who I showed the picture to.

He reckoned that a top-notch team could get it fitted out 2-3 days although apparently those pillars complicate things. He did point out though that you need at least one more day and preferably a few more to merchandise all the shelves - particularly for toiletries where there tend to be lots of single faces of small items.

September 29th 2018? :roll_eyes:

Sarah_G
27 Sep '17

Maybe they’re going to get Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen and his crushed velvet in… that was always a pretty quick turn around even if it did mean slightly too many chandeliers…

anon64893700
28 Sep '17

Just sent them a little Tweet. Workmen on site, well there is a bag and a drill, and the door is unlocked… But that’s gonna be a busy 24 hours for them.

Londondrz
28 Sep '17

I may pop in on Saturday and brows the isles!

Michael
28 Sep '17

I hear the Western Isles are particularly picturesque - when it’s not raining.

starman
28 Sep '17

No. That’s just Scilly.

Londondrz
28 Sep '17

I may find myself adrift in the barren ocean around the empty isles.

Bolgerp
29 Sep '17

So… has everyone been queuing up to browse the shelves laden with the finest of apothecary wares/beauty products?

starman
29 Sep '17

Is it open? I’m so excited. Might leave work early today and rush home.

James1P
29 Sep '17

Lol, just lol.

Michael
29 Sep '17

That’s wonderful to hear. I’m going to pop down later to see what they have in stock - I’m hoping to purchase some flying pigs.

anon64893700
29 Sep '17

I have a sneaky suspicion…

OX33?

anon5422159
29 Sep '17

Ah … good sleuthing!

anon64893700
29 Sep '17

I doubt it actually is really. Especially with jobs advertised on Indeed. But that said, how can they possibly be so out of touch with the progress of the store.

Londondrz
29 Sep '17

In the office and on the ground are very different. It’s like BT customer services telling us there is fibre broadband in our area. Speak to a BT engineer and he just says “sales are nuts if they think there is”.

Or, maybe it’s going to be like the TV programme where they decorate a whole house in an hour!!

Michael
29 Sep '17

Congratulations to Superdrug on the new store opening today!
I visited and my only concerns were a complete lack of staff, and a complete lack of products, and the doors weren’t open. Apart from that - everything you could want from Superdrug.

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '17

I’ve just popped that photo on their Facebook page. Let’s see…

anon64893700
29 Sep '17

Haha nicely put Michael.
@RachaelDunlop I look forward to seeing their reply.

Bolgerp
29 Sep '17

Latest tweet:

Superdrug Help‏
@SuperdrugHelp
Follow
More
Replying to @bolgerp @jimmyp75
Hi Paul, We’re waiting fro further information when the store will open. As soon as we have an update we’ll provide an update :slight_smile: Thanks-Mel

anon64893700
29 Sep '17

Haha yeah was just about to post their reply to me.

Foresthillnick
29 Sep '17

Can’t see it - looks like they took it down :frowning:

Bolgerp
29 Sep '17

Still there:

RachaelDunlop
29 Sep '17

It’s still there. You have to look under visitor posts.

With a reply from Mel. Or should I say ‘the standard reply’.

Michael
29 Sep '17

Has anybody pointed out how silly they look telling us multiple times that it is about to open, when we are trying to explain it ain’t happening?

Bolgerp
29 Sep '17

In fairness, though, I suspect poor Mel was only communicating the information she was being given… for all management knew, they WERE due to open today.

Michael
29 Sep '17

There were plenty of clues that it wasn’t going to open today. We all knew it, and some people shared their concerns with the Twits Twitterers at Superdrug. But they persisted with the line that the store would open today. If we wanted to read the press release from six months ago then we could have done it ourselves. There is no point operating a twitter ‘help’ account if you haven’t got the willingness or capability to answer simple questions.

Mummyjane
29 Sep '17

So September 29th has been and gone and it’s still an empty shop. Does anyone know of any update on this?

anon64893700
29 Sep '17

Waiting for replies from Superdrug on this as per tweets above.

Londondrz
30 Sep '17

I am looking forward to my visit today.

anon51837532
30 Sep '17

Progress as reported by local project team to SuperDrug HQ.

starman
30 Sep '17

Ha ha!

Wynell
30 Sep '17

Nobody has realised that whilst they stated 29th September they did not say 2017!

anon64893700
30 Sep '17

I think that was taken care of in their tweet from yesterday which said “the store will own today” :wink:

Wynell
30 Sep '17

Oops my mistake,

Londondrz
30 Sep '17

I shopped till I dropped.

Pauline
30 Sep '17

Looking forward to my goodies John :slight_smile:

Did you get me a back in FH present - nice smellies :joy::joy:

Or have we hit a brick (sorry graffiti) wall :thinking::thinking:

Londondrz
1 Oct '17

Sorry to miss you, girls even sorrier :persevere:

Pauline
1 Oct '17

I’ll have choc mice & sour raspberry berries on standby when you next visit :+1::+1:

Ed
13 Oct '17

So it now turns out that the M&Co / Superdrug building is being squatted!

The owner (interestingly, still Mackays) has a court hearing scheduled…

Michael
13 Oct '17

So rather than having a shiny new shop in the high street, we have a squat.
Had Superdrug opened on 29th September this would not have happened.

Bolgerp
13 Oct '17

Why does the first notice mention a pub?

starman
13 Oct '17

I gather the notice is a standard one. Good point though. I wonder if a type diminishes their case in the matter. I am sure this gives SuperDrug sufficient cause to drop out if they were ever thinking about it.

On that matter do any of the squatters look like staff from Boots?

Londondrz
13 Oct '17

Because the person who posted it took it from their last squat?

anon5422159
13 Oct '17

It’s sad news. The building is even less likely to be turned into a shop now we have squatters and their opportunistic legal challenges in the mix. And surrounding shops will be devalued and tainted. :man_facepalming:

@SgtBiddle - are you able to do anything about this?

starman
13 Oct '17

So who’s responsibility was it to secure the premises? Superdrug or Mackays?

anon22025233
13 Oct '17

I’m guessing if MacKays still have the lease then them. Superdrug must not have been as far down the line as we thought, if at all.

Ed
13 Oct '17

My suspicion is that Superdrug were just leasing the building from Mackays who own it. I’m not really sure whether it would normally be owner or leaseholder that would be responsible for evicting the squatters, maybe @Anotherjohn might know?

Either way, looks like Superdrug won’t be in this month either (considering the court date is end of Oct). I’m starting to think that the earlier rumours that they’ve pulled out might be true after all…

Anotherjohn
13 Oct '17

My understanding is that only beneficial owner would have the right to initiate eviction proceedings. So, if it’s Mackays who are applying to the Courts, it would suggest (to me) that Superdrug’s tenancy hasn’t yet been formalised.

Andy
13 Oct '17

So a hearing in two weeks, likely Summary Posession Order made at the hearing, service by bailiff that day or soon thereafter, and potentially a few more weeks before forcable removal if the squatters do not leave.

I’ll order some net curtains so that we can all start twitching them!

starman
13 Oct '17

Who do we know who could set up a webcam facing the shop?

Michael
13 Oct '17

Perhaps we could have a live feed to the forum to monitor all the empty shops in Forest Hill and we can get more information than would be provided by Superdrug.

starman
13 Oct '17

anon5422159
13 Oct '17

It is possible to hot-link images on the forum, like this (just use the image URL):

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/jamcams.tfl.gov.uk/00001.03756.jpg

The above image updates every five mins - but you have to refresh the page.

There’s probably a way of embedding live video too (I’d need to add an “allowed iframe” to enable this). Will look into it later.

Anotherjohn
13 Oct '17

By spying remotely at least there won’t be any chance of we peepers being spotted by the peepees (à la Micky Flannagan ‘Peepers’).

Michael
13 Oct '17

You weren’t really meant to take my suggestion seriously.
However, if you’re going to implement it I would suggest that anybody viewing the site on a window wider than 1000px automatically gets live feeds loaded from all CCTV in the town centre.

Mobile users would not be able to see these feeds but would be able to stand in the street waving at other forum users.

anon5422159
13 Oct '17

maxrocks
13 Oct '17

this is all a sick joke. M&Co was a decent shop offering fairly priced goods to the local community.
Now we have an eyesore that can actually be unpleasant and a bit intimidating to walk past as a lone female late at night with assembled street drinkers and rough sleepers.
Superdrug have badly let down the local community. and what about the poor staff at M&Co who would have been made redundant? Or the people who have applied for jobs in the ‘new’ store.
They were pretty quick ripping everything out. so why the abysmal delay on the shopfit?
I think the powers that be at Superdrug need to post on our forum and actually admit they’ve f****d up and let down their would be customers and neighbours.

Londondrz
14 Oct '17

I wouldn’t hold your breath.

anon5422159
14 Oct '17

I emailed to let them know about the squatters

anon5422159
15 Oct '17
Ed
15 Oct '17

Interesting! Hopefully all sorted now and they have moved on.

They gained access through the loading door on Havelock Walk rather than the front door. It was then secured from the inside with a chain. Will take a look tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Bruceshire
31 Oct '17

Seems as though work is starting to be carried out for Superdrug finally.

James1P
1 Nov '17

The plot thickens…

Londondrz
1 Nov '17

Most likely with a six month interview process whilst they finish the store. :slight_smile:

rbmartin
6 Nov '17

As mentioned, there is life inside the store as the shop fitters are in now. Even saw an employee take a fag break!

Wynell
3 Dec '17

Whats happening? Havent been past the shop for a week or so is it open?

Andy
3 Dec '17

It is 100% not open. The internal shelving looked to be complete last week, but the windows are still covered up on the inside so I only saw that while passing when the doors were open.

There is no external signage, but I (or another Forest Hillier) will post a photo when it is put up as I’m sure that we can expect a sarcastic furore on the forum.

Wynell
3 Dec '17

Thanks the anticipation is exhilarating :rofl:

Pea
4 Dec '17

I walked past today and the shop front fascia has gone up covering all the horrid graffiti and it looks like more work is happening inside. I imagine signage will come soon.

anon51837532
5 Dec '17

Report that cabinets and fridges delivered ready for install.

Trolleys have been delivered.

Product cages in middle of aisles.

Open by Monday ?

Ed
6 Dec '17

Looking pretty close to complete, shop-fitting wise. I guess another week or two to open, as presumably stock needs to come in and staff need to be trained etc.

I can’t wait for the shop fitting to be over - the contractors that have been working on it have been very anti-social when it comes to parking their vans/trucks at the top of Havelock Walk, blocking doors etc. Not very helpful when asked to move them either.

That being said, I fear that the deliveries and servicing once it is open might be even worse. We shall see!

Will be good to have an open shop though!

RachaelDunlop
6 Dec '17

Will deliveries be worse than when the shop was M&Co? I guess the turnover of stock will be quicker in Superdrug whch may require more deliveries.

Ed
6 Dec '17

I think it will be worse than M&Co, but not as bad as Morrisons would have been.

None of it would be an issue if the red lines at the top of HW were actively monitored. Unfortunately they are out of the jurisdiction of the Lewisham parking attendant.

James1P
7 Dec '17

Boom.

rbmartin
7 Dec '17
anon51837532
7 Dec '17

Two local experts (not me of course) are pressing the case for a Monday opening.

You heard it here first.

Ed
8 Dec '17

They are stocking the shelves today, so you could be right!

anon5422159
10 Dec '17

Not long now -

nicoladrng
10 Dec '17

Superdrug has finally started to develop in forest hill.
I have only driven past.
It’s coming along very quickly. Does anyone know the opening date?
Sorry I know it’s been spoken about alot x

rbmartin
12 Dec '17

From looking through the window myself earlier, it’s a shame they won’t have a pharmacy. Boots really needs a kick up the rear with their ‘service’ across the road.

anon10646030
12 Dec '17

Don’t most GP’s have a pharmacy close by ? I just know from Jenner and vale practice that there is one next door but not sure about the others

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

Oh dear - faux pas on Supdadrug’s part this morning.

From approx 8:25 to 8:55, 40 foot artic sitting in filter lane outside shop with hazards on and from the jam cam pictures looks like they are loading/unloading.

Adds significantly to tail back at this junction - very poor planning for rush hour traffic.

Press play to get a short loop.

Edit - this link plays the latest “live” loop - I have downloaded the mp4 showing the artic’s presence but cannot upload it to here.

anon5422159
12 Dec '17

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Video uploads

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

Here is a trial conversion of the mp4 file to gif format.

It shows the parked artic at the 08:50 mark.

PS - did anyone spot that the failure to open yesterday highlights how rubbish I am at forecasting !!

armadillo
12 Dec '17

I bet those legitimately waiting in the filter lane to turn right were getting no love from frustrated drives lined up behind unable to pass the arctic and blocked from turning left on the green light :frowning:

DickWynne
12 Dec '17

Worse things happen at sea

anon51837532
12 Dec '17

I am certain that the Captain of the Titanic had similar thoughts as he sailed away from the coast of Ireland.

Don’t mention icebergs.

starman
13 Dec '17

And today

anon51837532
13 Dec '17

13 Dec 2017 Second Morning - supports @starman’s earlier pic.

I wonder what the original planning application specified on permissible delivery times…

anon51837532
13 Dec '17

And the knock-on effect all the way up the hill.

RachaelDunlop
13 Dec '17

Do we know if these morning deliveries are regular or exceptional as part of the stocking of a new store?

starman
13 Dec '17

I’ve tweeted them to complain. But not holding my breath.

anon17648011
13 Dec '17

It might make more sense to raise this with the local counsel? If it becomes a regular occurence then the presence of a parking enforcement officer would be more likely to deter them than complaints on twitter I’m guessing?

starman
13 Dec '17

Does the Council have jurisdiction here? Or TfL?

Andy
13 Dec '17

It would be TFL, so May be worth teeting them the cause of the delays and the effect

Daniel
13 Dec '17

Sadly predictable. They wouldn’t have needed a service and delivery plan as there was no new planning application necessary (except for the sign). They are in fact parked in the only legal delivery bay in the area, but I think outside legal hours which - at least a while ago - were 10 - 4 and obviously in a lorry too large for the space. Interestingly, there’s a planning application out now in which they have to answer questions regarding access, providing an opportunity to raise a formal objection and get them to submit a proper delivery plan. But then realistically is it going to cause so many problems in the long term & what would we want as an alternative?

anon51837532
13 Dec '17

It would be appropriate to use a suitably sized vehicle that fits the delivery parking space and plan deliveries and uplifts that match the permitted times.
TfL have many NPR cameras - static, vehicle mounted on patrol cars and on buses. These artics are not suitable for this location and will inevitably be caught at sometime.
But then Superdrug may have calculated that any fines arising will simply be deemed as the cost of doing business irrespective of the impact on the community.

Ed
13 Dec '17

It could be that the regular/usual deliveries (once the store is up and running) will be in a smaller lorry.

GillB
13 Dec '17

On the subject of Boots, & GPS having a pharmacy nearby…We have 2 pharmacy’s on Stondon Park/ Brockley Road that serve the local GPS surgery (which we don’t use), but I would rather go to them anytime rather than Boots. All Boots ever do is suggest you go to your GP! Whereas our local Pharmacists especially on Stondon Park give good advice every time & only suggest going to the GP if necessary.

anon51837532
14 Dec '17

Day 3 14 Dec 2017 Morning - a little farther away this time but I think it is the same 40ft artic.

anon51837532
14 Dec '17

As good as TfL’s cameras are - the question of whether the shop is open or not cannot be seen by them.

Any update available from anyone who has shopped there or walked past ?

starman
14 Dec '17

They were still working on finishing touches when i walked past about 5:30

RachaelDunlop
15 Dec '17

So these deliveries may not be the regular ones but stocking the new store?

anon51837532
15 Dec '17

Day 4 15 Dec 2017 Morning - new trick - parked opposite store significantly disrupting traffic headed up London Road.

@RachaelDunlop may be absolutely right - but irrespective of start-up needs - this appears to be the regular time-slot for this vehicle to turn up.

Driver is going to have a much more dangerous task than he (or she) knows trying to cross the south circular with their load.

applespider
15 Dec '17

Possibly not. The logistics schedule for a 40ft trailer is probably different to a top up smaller one.

You might also find stores on daily overnight replenishment timetables get it delivered pre/post opening so the staff can shelf it out of hours. That means their slots at the distribution centre and delivery times will take priority.

A new branch’s stock can be picked off peak and delivered just before the working day starts as that store can fill shelves and leave cages in aisles as no customers. It also takes a lot more stock to initially fill a store - especially if they have few facings but lots of depth on shelves. Just identifying what goes where takes longer than usual and SD have lots of relatively small items that are fiddly. Replenishment is likely to be less than 5% of this volume

anon51837532
15 Dec '17

And like magic - columns of balloons appear at the front door in last few minutes - is opening day upon us ?

Ok ok - the suspense is killing me - do you think they will do a generous first shopper prize ?

Moto_Hodder
15 Dec '17

This also a much shorter rigid, not the longer artic. Certainly seems more like a regular delivery vehicle.

Having spent many hours of my life in meetings with TfL and other “stakeholders” on deliveries on the red route, this will certainly be seen as a cost of business. I’m almost certain that the logisitics company handling Superdrug’s deliveries will have full time staff whose job it is to either dispute or pay parking tickets.

However, being grown up about the whole thing, if we want shops that sell things in SE23 and not just nail salons, estate agents and other businesses that don’t have stock, then we have to accept a bit of disruption from deliveries. Superdrug are clearly loading, not just parked up having a mandatory rest break.

starman
15 Dec '17

Fully agree. And of course they can also unload during the hours of 7pm to 7am or use that bay between the hours of 10am and 4pm.

anon51837532
15 Dec '17

Lunchtime images seem to show shoppers entering and exiting the shop - 'tis done.

And I stand corrected by @Moto_Hodder - it is definitely a shorter vehicle this morning.

Its appearance however had the same negative impact on traffic movement in what is already a choke point on the south circular route.

Anotherjohn
15 Dec '17

Couldn’t agree more!

rbmartin
15 Dec '17

DevonishForester
15 Dec '17

Or our elected representatives could organize things differently. The car park behind Sainsbury’s could be reorganized to allow other High Street businesses to unload deliveries and push trolleys through to the shops. It is a Council car park, not a Sainsbury’s car park. There is incredible lethargy in Lewisham Council.

If the South Circular is slow, then more traffic runs through residential streets in the area (except those which are already protected from thru traffic).

rbmartin
15 Dec '17

When I was in there earlier, a man was repairing the drinks chiller and one of the tills wouldn’t accept cards.

Other than that, it’s nice inside and there were some deals on certain products.

anon30031319
26 Feb '18

I have to say, for a location which had so much debate about what was worthy there, and then how Superdrug would conduct itself with regards to deliveries etc, it has turned out to be one heck of a plus for the area.

Always busy, decent size shop, and offering some great deals etc. Just goes to show that soemties things need a little time to get used to, and end up being great.

Have the deliveries caught anyone’s eye since they opened and got up and running.

maxrocks
26 Feb '18

Also I’d like to add how lovely helpful and friendly the staff are.
That counts for a lot

anon30031319
26 Feb '18

The other half would agree totally with that. Being a regular in there and all! Lol

rbmartin
27 Feb '18

It’s been great. Being able to buy toiletries and medicine without having to go to Sydenham or Britain’s worst branch of Boots is a plus.

Fran_487
8 Mar '18

Agreed on the staff too - everyone’s been really sweet and chatty at the POS. Nice work Superdrug. Worth the wait! (Almost.)

anon30031319
8 Mar '18

I have to admit, I am a little surprised by just HOW busy they are in there. Maybe a few more chains dotted around would be enough to increase footfall to other parts.

emmamay
19 Mar '18

I’ve only been in a couple of time so far but the staff were very nice.

BirdinHand
8 Apr '18

But they’ve missed a big trick by cutting their hours. Opening at 9am and closing by 6pm means they’re losing out on the commuter and late night crowd who would welcome being able to shop early or late. Let’s hope that changes soon.

ChrisR
9 Apr '18

I agree. i went to go in one night last week just before 6 and was stopped by a staff member telling me they were closed yet both their website and app still shows a closing time as 7pm Monday- Saturday. I’ve just contacted them to update their sites with the correct details. I didn’t realise they had changed their opening time as well! I’m no longer a commuter but I would have thought they would pickup enough passing trade from those on their way to and from the station. It doesn’t seem as if they’ve allowed much time for the local community to get used to them being here before cutting hours!