Archived on 6/5/2022

Surprised by traffic levels.

applespider
23 Apr '20

Lots of ‘meetings’ in the work diary this morning so I went to Sainsburys at 8am this morning rather than mid-morning (when I can nip to the Butchery etc too). I’ve been out mid-morning and evenings mostly for shopping/exercise and had been pleasantly surprised by how little traffic there has been on South Circular.

This morning (Thurs 23rd April) just before 8 looked like a regular, pre-lockdown rush hour heading into London westbound. The traffic was backed up from the Grove, past the Horniman down to the station with the usual blockages as traffic struggles to get out at the Esso station. About half looked were delivery lorries or tradesman vans but there were a huge number of single occupancy cars. I’m assuming that perhaps more people are driving rather than taking public transport which does make sense. And it was quieter at 9am when I walked back - but I was surprised at how many essential rush hour journeys there still seemed to be - and why businesses haven’t been more flexible in allowing those who have to travel to work more staggered hours.

maxrocks
23 Apr '20

yes I’ve noticed the same traffic levels along the south circular have really gone up in the past couple of weeks