Archived on 6/5/2022

Sydenham, Unite! Calling all SE26 Residents

anon5422159
6 Apr '17

We have a new opt-in group and all Sydenham residents (with a SE26 postcode) are invited to join:

https://se23.life/groups/Sydenhamites

I have a new online project underway and I’d like to keep Sydenham residents in the loop.

robin.orton
7 Apr '17

Will this project have implications for the existing Sydenham Town forum?

anon5422159
7 Apr '17

It could have, yes, and there are one or two people involved in STF I’d like to speak to before proceeding. First meeting is on Thursday.

weepy
8 Apr '17

Se26.life ?!

Pauline
7 Apr '17

Sorry, don’t like it but happy to find out more xx

I could be biased to FH though.

This is for Sydenham & not FH, and FH is where my heart lies :slight_smile:

This could also compete with SE23.life so not prepared to give anything to it as I think it will take away from here.

Surprised this is an idea, definitely not one I will support.

anon5422159
7 Apr '17

@Pauline - I totally appreciate your loyalty to this area and this forum.

I have a lot to discuss before (potentially) launching SE26.life - not least with those involved in the Sydenham Town Forum.

If we choose to launch it, SE26.life is a project that could compliment SE23.life. Traffic will be driven both ways. In fact, if the “Dot Life” circle expands, SE23.life will always be geographically in the middle of it, and for this reason I’d expect any traffic exchanges would overall benefit SE23.life. Also, the Google rankings of SE23.life could be boosted massively by links from another friendly local forum.

SE23 is my home and where my heart is - I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardise this forum.

Friendly neighbouring local forums cooperating with each other and sharing technology and membership. Gaining more outside attention due to the strengthening brand - It’s a win-win.

The real competition we have, as forums, is not our neighbours - but Facebook, which has a model that doesn’t ideally fit our local conversations, but it’s winning via the network effect.

If SE26.life comes to fruition, it will be an experiment in a couple of ways:

• firstly - whether I can start a local forum without my day-to-day personal involvement
  • secondly - SE26.life will be a testbed for new technical features that will benefit SE23.life

On a more personal note – On Monday I go back to full time contract work. I’m grateful for the paid work, and I’ll give it my all, but one day I’d like to develop a viable income from my personal projects. Running a dozen “Dot Life” websites could be a profitable business. And that way, I can justify devoting my full-time focus to them. My end goal remains for SE23.life (and its potential sister sites) to succeed.

Pauline
7 Apr '17

I think we need a chat Chris :slight_smile:xx

weepy
8 Apr '17

Heh I see it requires auth.

I think it would be great to have a separate Se26.life

anon5422159
8 Apr '17

Password protected temporarily, as I have a couple of people I’d like to speak to before making the site publicly visible. Also we need a few interesting topics on there (from people other than me) before the site could open properly.

Members of the Sydenhamites group can see the username/password and are more than welcome to sign up to SE26.life and post topics.

RachaelDunlop
9 Apr '17

Pauline - I don’t see how an SE26 forum would affect this one. I know you are a member of both the other SE23 forum and the existing Sydenham Town Forum, as are a few other people, and they are complimentary rather than competing.

Some initial thoughts for @anon5422159 - I like the idea of the header because it’s important that each forum is quickly distinguishable from the other.

And I think it’s even more important that it is obvious that these are locally owned and run forums, not identikit packages run from who knows where.

Pauline
9 Apr '17

I’ve joined the group, but I’m still not sure.

MissP
10 Apr '17

I live in an SE23 postcode but I am increasingly spending more time in Sydenham. I am right on the borders of both and actually live closer to Sydenham station / Sydenham Road, than to Forest Hill. I think this could be a great idea!