Archived on 6/5/2022

Tattoo artist?

Nykes
25 May '17

So my Mum and I are looking to get our first tattoos this year. I want some text and she wants a 3D-looking butterfly - but she’s nervous that if it hurts too much she won’t get it finished. Friends have said you just need to find a good person that will mean it’s not too horrible a process (plus location of tattoo etc) Any recommendations roundabouts?

RachaelDunlop
25 May '17

My daughter had a tattoo done at Inkwa in Sydenham and was very happy. It was her first one and they were very professional - and she said it hardly hurt at all.

Pauline
25 May '17

I know just the guy, will get info tomorrow & share :slight_smile:

Alisa
26 May '17

Hi Nykes, I recommend finding a tattooist that you have seen the work of and you think is good at that type of style - and this may be different for your text than your Mum’s butterfly. A good tattooist charges good money - generally by the hour, but since you have the art for life, I think it is worth paying for - so I wouldn’t select on cost. The trick with the pain is prep. I recommend a good meal before hand - a fry up works a treat(!) and take a lucozade and a chocolate bar with you. For the first 30 mins/1hr, you run on adrenalin, but a bit later a sugar boost does help. By the sounds of things, they won’t be too large, so shouldn’t take too long to do - as a guide - I have a swallow about 4 inches diameter and this took under an hour (though she was quite quick). Ideally you shouldn’t drink the night before as this thins the blood - just means that you bleed more which doesn’t hurt, but is a bit messy - and you might not feel so good! In terms of location of tattoo - does differ for different people - but inner arm is meant to tingle like crazy and anything too bony is likely to hurt as you’ll feel vibrating. Hope you enjoy the process.