Archived on 6/5/2022

Teleconferencing

Moto_Hodder
4 May '17

Does anyone know of any office facilities within reasonable travel distance that I can rent for a week or a day? I work from home and what I’m looking for is a private space where I can join 3 days worth of phone conferencing (via Skype) without fear of background noise or interruption. I’ve had a quick look around and most of the desks for rent tend to be in open plan offices which is great for some businesses, but I need to avoid background noise (or I may as well stay at home).

At the bare minimum, it needs to be a decent wifi connection, a comfy chair and table and a quiet room, preferably with access to a kitchen available the week after next.

Any suggestions?

starman
4 May '17

Wasn’t the library offering something like this?

Michael
4 May '17

The space in the library is shared work space, so there is the possibility of some background noise, but it is a good space for getting work done with fast wifi and without very much noise.

Moto_Hodder
10 May '17

I’m trying a service called “Spacehop” whereby you can rent people’s homes or other empty spaces on a day by day let.

I’ll update when I can on this new and exciting experience.

Moto_Hodder
19 May '17

So, I spent 4 lovely days in someone’s downstairs office later, and I can report that Spacehop was excellent and a really good tool. The prices are reasonable (maybe slightly more per day than 8 hours of guilty purchases in a coffee shop), and the system is completely painless. Much like AirBnB, space owners don’t walys keep their data up to date, so my first option was unavailalbe, but my second option in West Dulwich worked out extremely well.